Harmonica Bridge Replacement?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Cableaddict, Oct 17, 2017.

1. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

That's super persuasive. "You want proof? Find it yourself!"

:hmm:
    :cool:

There you are citing "reports" again. There are "reports" of Elvis sightings, UFO abductions, and chupacabras. There are "reports" of a second shooter on the grassy knoll. If you want someone to believe what you're saying you have to provide more than "The Truth Is Out There - go find it yourself."

The Kluson harmonica bridge is still available.

Thicker studs? ABR?

Harmonica studs
    [​IMG]

ABR studs
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  2. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Raiyn likes this.
  3. Rox

Rox Active Member

I had a modern SG with a harmonica bridge, and it sounded like... wait for it... an SG.

Tone was fine, I only sold it because I couldn't get on with the neck profile. Ever since, I've wanted another with a harmonica bridge.

Mind you I'm not a great player, so my tone already sucks... :rofl:

dub-setter and Raiyn like this.
  4. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

The point is not who swapped it, but that Rundrgen appears to have been happy with the tone and response of The Fool with a harmonica bridge. I believe he gigged with it into the 90s. And he didn't keep the harmonica because it was 'original' - far from it! If he wasn't happy with it's performance, he would've had two reasons to swap it.

Col Mustard, gball and Raiyn like this.
  5. gball

gball Well-Known Member

The myth of harmonica bridges sucking is parallel to the myth of ABR's being so awesome in my mind. ABR's had limited adjustability, were prone to sagging in the middle and the studs would strip the thread in the raw wood they were mounted in. Solution? The Nashville bridge. It cured all these problems and no-one thought twice about ABR's until the "vintage" craziness started, then everything had to be done the way it was done in the '50's or you were being robbed of your precious toniness, whether there was any basis in reality for this stuff or not. Hide glue makes a difference in the tone? Really? Do you think I'm daft?
    So...at one point Gibson tried out the Schaller bridges, which were arguably a better, more solid design than their own Nashville, but they didn't last. I was there, I remember, people hated the way they looked -- that was it. Nothing more. Nobody was complaining at the time that they were "sucking tone" or any such nonsense, people simply didn't like the looks of the things, so Gibson went back to Nashville's (NOT ABR's incidentally, which would not have cost them more).

6. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Seems like etsg is attracting more and more blatherskites and numpties these days. A member since Saturday and 38 posts, who are you? I have 50 years experience as a professional player and worked 20 years as a tech. Other longtime members have similar resumes. You are welcome to go micturate on someone else's May pole.

7. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

I've just been reading this thread because I don't want to get myself involved in this mess. But here's my personal opinion; if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If a harmonica Bridge is broke to you, then fine. Personally, I would sell your SG and get a late 80s SG with a Nashville which you can replace easier and not get rid of a feature that some people enjoy.

For example though, I'm probably going to replace the Nashville on my Firebird because of the fact that I can't adjust the height on the tailpiece because it's a Maestro Vibrola. So in my opinion, you should sell your SG and get one that suits you better. :thumb:

Col Mustard likes this.
  8. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I like volutes.

Raiyn likes this.
  9. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

How do I add a harmonica bridge to my SG?

10. Cableaddict

Cableaddict Member

No. My god, no. Interaction with the body gives tone shaping, and more important DYNAMIC tone shaping, which increases the way, and the amount the instrument responds to your touch. it also increases sustain of certain Frequencies (the body's formants) while decreasing others, hence the reason EVERY FING LUTHIER ALIVE knows that tonewood matters.

What's wrong with you people?

11. Cableaddict

Cableaddict Member

And yet I've seen a bunch of then that are non-magnetic. Yes, on SG's.
    - As has also been reported by many other users. Mine certainly is, and it's not a fake. Even the POSTS are non-metallic.

Good to know that Kluson milled bridge is still available. I called three retailers last week sho told me it was discontinued.

- But regardless, harmonica bridges are large and heavy, and thus absorb some energy that would otherwise be transmitted into the body. And that's a WELL establish principle regarding all bridges. Lighter is better. (but not aluminum.)
    If you don't want to believe this, then don't. Not my problem.

You guys play what you want, al opinions are valid, but I have in fact heard AB comparisons over the years that convince me of what i say.

I'll still looking for an answer to my, you know, actual question.

12. Cableaddict

Cableaddict Member

As you should have. But of course, everyone else on this thread will tell you that it's just in your imagination.

13. flognoth

flognoth Active Member

The Faber isn't solid steel. It is zinc with brass saddles. Titanium saddles can be ordered.

Callaham makes a bridge that is solid steel. They sound too bright for my tastes.

I heard a difference in resonance and sustain from swapping out the stopbar and putting in an aluminum one. Swapping the harmonica for an ABR was about the physical feel to me.

14. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

You've gone from "reports" to hearsay.

[​IMG]

koaguilds and Logan like this.
  15. Cableaddict

Cableaddict Member

How about actual facts:

I just got this reply fro Kluson, regarding their current harmonica replacement bridge:

"Keep in mind There were in fact 2 styles of harmonica bridge, of different quality, used by Norlin: One made by Schaller and one made in Japan. Ours is modeled after the German made milled steel bridge, replicated down to the threaded studs."

So evidently there are lots of die cast (pot metal) bridges out there. Since I have one, and my friend who sold it to me was the original owner, I know for CERTAIN that some SG's came with the cheaper bridges. (non magnetic.) - Which again has also been reported by other SG owners on the net.

Feel free to call Kluson and argue with them.
    So now I understand some of the arguments here. Maybe one plant used the good bridges and one plant used the other. Or maybe Norlin just didn't care & mixed them up.
    ----------------------

Now my only decision is wether to get a new, milled replacement, or go with something lighter. With a replacement, you also have the option to try stainless steel posts (Callaham, etc) whereas with the milled Harmonica, you're stuck with brass. I'm a big fan of steel posts on LP's. Never heard such a test on an SG, though.

Again, you guys feel free to do whatever you want.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  16. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Clearly the Kluson would make a fine choice being modeled from the Schaller.

17. AngelDeVille

You people get your panties all wadded up over the stupidest things.

18. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

koaguilds likes this.
  19. AngelDeVille

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Logan and Raiyn like this.
  20. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member