Has anyone tried out the Marshall Origin Series?

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Logan, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

I've been looking all over but can't find the suckers. I'm really interested, as I've always wanted a Marshall to get THAT sound, you know, and I'm seriously considering getting the 50 watt head because it's got all that I would want out of a Marshall and isn't too pricy.

Any thoughts on it, and have any of you played it? Would like to be able to get an AC/DC / Led Zeppelin sound out of it and be able to run it through a full stack.

ventura and pedecamp like this.
  2. gball

gball Well-Known Member

I haven't seen one in a shop yet to try it out. So far only judging from the online demos I'd have to say keep looking. None of the tones I have heard coming out of them seem to be nailing the kind of thing Marshalls are known for. Maybe in person they come across differently but in the the demos they don't seem to have THAT identifiable Marshall power section crunch going on.

ventura likes this.
  3. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

They look really cool, and I too am interested in the 20 combo if only for the 10" V-type speaker and power scaling from 20 watts to 3 watts to 0.5 watts... But they seem pretty feature limited, and seem overpriced as compared to the more versatile DSL series. If they had reverb, I'd be all over these, but it's a harder sell without it.

However, I must say that I've demo'd the new DSL1, DSL5, and DSL40 series and they're all excellent amplifiers at good price points, if you want that heavy, grinding Marshall tone. I don't know why anyone would choose the Origin 5 over the DSL1, since they nerfed the 5 with an 8" speaker (although the cab certainly looks large enough to accommodate a ten), but I see the appeal of the Origin 20 and 50 over the DSL20 or 40, especially for plexi- and bluesbreaker-style crunches. If they're as good as the new DSLs, they'll be worth the cash.

ventura and syscokid like this.
  4. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

I had a jubilee mini stack and I hated it. I got it cheap. I was playing my Gibson thru it at the time. I ended up selling it to a Guitar Center for more than what I paid.

ventura likes this.
  5. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

From the demos I watched (CME, Sweetwater, and Marshall) these have that low gain, Plexi-style sound that I'm thinking of. No, they aren't ultra-high gain modern amps, but more of a modern take on a Plexi with a boost switch (from my understanding). I'm thinking about getting a 50-watt head and a 4x12 cabinet to go with it.
    They are supposed to be a more modern take on the Original Plexis, so you don't have to do the channel jumping with the tilt control, and with a footswitch controlled boost so you can get a tiny bit more gain at the tap of a switch. They are one channel to mimic the original Plexis for the people who like that setup they will probably love this amp.

Right, I looked at the DSL series and for me they had too much gain. I'm looking for more of the '60s style british crunch, so now I'm pretty much stuck in between the bassbreakers and the Origins.

ventura likes this.
  6. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

I've been wanting a 20-30w Plexi sort of thing and this has me interested.

Think I may have to try the 20w head through a 2x12.

gypsyseven and ventura like this.
  7. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

ventura and Dale like this.
  8. Epiphan

Epiphan Active Member

Thanks for the link. I have a Class 5 combo and had been looking for a head to do some of the 'Plexi' mods that were popular a few years back. C5 heads are as scarce as hens teeth in New Zealand, and it seemed that the OR20 would cover some of the same ground - so I've been gassing for one since they were released - although they still aren't available here yet, all the reviews I've heard sound pretty good. I have 1x12 and 2x12 green back cabs waiting :-)

ventura likes this.
  9. jojo68

jojo68 Active Member

Many of the reviews I've read say it's a really bright amp, which kills it for me.

El Marin, ventura and Dale like this.
  10. BluJ

BluJ New Member

I have the Origin 20 w head running into a Marshall 1x15 cab and love the sound I’m getting.
    I went with the Origin which is ready for using the 4 wire set up. Very pedal friendly. Didn’t want bells and whistles on my amp, that’s what pedals are for. Just my personal preference.

ventura likes this.
  11. gypsyseven

gypsyseven New Member

I have the Origin 20C and really love it. But even on the low setting it’s much to loud to play in an apartment...
    Anyhow, with my JHS Morning Glory i get all the tones on lower volume.

ventura likes this.
  12. ventura

ventura Active Member

I recommend the 50 watter :dude:

13. Misanthrope

Misanthrope Member

Can’t speak for the larger versions. Bought the 5 watt version from Sweetwater a couple of months ago when they were on sale. Use it as a practice amp. Could not be more pleased with it. I treat it like a larger amp, set volume at maximum and use guitars volume control. Sweet overdriven tone. Sounds like a much bigger Plexi through its massive 8” speaker!

El Marin, Logan and ventura like this.
  14. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

Having created this thread over a year ago, I've owned my Origin 50 combo for a year and a half, and it was and still is exactly what I expected from the amp. Great sounding amp, and I've replaced the pre-amp tubes as one was starting to go, but even so, after I did, it made it sound so much better than stock. I put EHX tubes in it and that made it sound a little bit warmer and the breakup isn't as harsh as the stock. Granted, that isn't something that wasn't already reminded by the speaker breaking in.

Crazy thing is, one of my good friends who isn't a forum member here or the other place because he's not as much of a gear head as I or the other members are bought a 20 combo because he liked mine so much. Not going to lie, they hit it out of the park with the Origin line of amps, at least IMHO. Great sounding British amp that is 100% rooted in the original DNA of the first plexis and even the Fender Bassman.

This is by no means a full review, but after having mine for a year and a half and with this thread being semi-relevant, I thought I should chime in.

El Marin likes this.
  15. sadmoodyfrazier

sadmoodyfrazier New Member

I have the 4x12 Marshall Origin and honestly... it's a ****. It needs a speaker change ASAP. Unfortunately I don't have enough money to do so.

16. El Marin

El Marin Active Member

Madrid, Spain, EU, Earth, Solar system, Milky way
    I am in as well

Got the 50 combo... I like it. Is not a High gain amp. I use as an angry Bassman witch I like. I like so much that I sold my Bassman 59 LTD and got another, this time a head that I will pair with an old 80's 1922 cab.
    Is a really dinamic amp, one of the best I had. Power scalling works fine, If you like to crank it use the mid power, enough to play in a rock power trio. If you like pedals, use the High setting and you have your "cleans" and in low power you can play over music without deafening the neigbours.... Not a bedroom amp, is a gigging amp.
    The DI out is SUPERB, one of the best ever tried.
    Small enough and a feather compared to my old Bassman 4x10" and my old Twin reverb

No, is not, at least for me... I come from a "Telecaster and Bassman" or "Telecaster and Twin Reverb" rig... That's a bright thing, not the Marshall.

It must be said, nevertheless, that at the beginning I thought the same, but is just due the cheap chinese valves. It comes with three preamp valves, a red Marshal one in V1 witch is not bad at all, and two white Marshall chibese valves in V2 and V3... Just swapping those and is another amp. I did with all three and wow!.
    I always do, just took the good valves that my Bassman had, just installed back there the factory Fender Ruby tubes and there you are.
    You also must wait to the OEM speaker to break in.... once done, there is no brightness, at least to me

[​IMG]

17. El Marin

El Marin Active Member

Madrid, Spain, EU, Earth, Solar system, Milky way
    So, here it is:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. TGSG

TGSG New Member

Yes I have the ORIGIN 50 and I love it. I also have a JCM 900 Paired with a 1983 120 Watt 4x12 Cab and I replaced that with the origin. Getting the sound I've been searching for with it and won't sell my JCM. That rig is so heavy to carry in anywhere. I'll post a photo when I can stop by and snag a photo at my studio! I have a 17' SG Standard a 19' 61' Standard w Maestro & the Yellow GCJ Triple P90 SG that I play them all through. I love fuzz, boost, clon, that type of tone. I play blues, rock, alternative type music.

19. TGSG

TGSG New Member

Clip of the ORIGIN 50 paired with my 2017 SG fitted with a CreamTone Vintage 60s Wiring harness and 57PAF Neck Pickup / Also have a SD Pearly Gates wired up in the bridge but don't go it in this short clip.

El Marin likes this.
  20. Robus

Robus Active Member

I have the 20 watt Origin head. Okay, I have better sounding amps. If you can stand the hissing (I could not) then the SV20 is a big step up in tone for about twice the price.

El Marin likes this.