Hate hate relationship with metronome

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by GrumpyOldDBA, Jul 27, 2018.

1. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

I dont exactly enjoy doing things scales / triplets / fingering excercises to a metronome but its a necessary evil to get better and faster ( eventually ) and smoother. Mostly i hate the ticking ...

Thanks to some higher powers i dont have dreams involving metronomes!

Every once in a while you do something good with your timing but then crap its time to turn it faster!

These days most people probably use metronomes on iphones/etc but back in the days i bet some serious abuse has been doled out to some innocent time pieces ha ha! Any good stories?

Thats all i have back to practicing!

2. smitty_p

smitty_p Well-Known Member

I love using a metronome.

I went most of my life without using one and my timing suffered because of it.

Now, I use one almost continuously. Even if I’m just noodling I set a metronome.

I use the Tempo app on my phone. It allows a lot of customization and lets you save tempos as song titles. You can then organize them into set lists, essentially creating click tracks.

pancake81 likes this.
  3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I always use a click track when recording.

4. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

My down fall has always been timing. Which is a direct reflection of the fact that:

A) I don’t use a metronome
    B) 99% of the time I play alone

Sometimes you think your really coming along, you really got your sh1t together, and then you play with some friends. It’s not that they are better guitarists than you, it’s that they can stay in time and play as a group. You can know all the solo licks and rhythm jams in the world, but the fact remains you will not sound good if you can’t keep time with the rest of the band.

It took me years to realize the importance of drums; in a time keeping sense. When I played along with records I played to the guitarist(s), not the band. With along with foot tapping works pretty well. But when you sit down with some folks and your the guitarist that approach doesn’t work well.

My first approach to address this was recognizing the entire band when playing along with a record. It sounds dumb, like “why would t you, you moron”. But sometimes guitarists get tunnel vision and focus so much on the sound and tone

The second thing I did was download a metronome app. Again, sounds stupid to not have done that years ago. It’s a free app, and it works likes the bees knees. Once I downloaded it i learned all over how crappy my timing was.

Every day is a school day, and I slowly get better.

5. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

download.jpg
    Ahh! 70s flashback!
    I remember playing Mel Bay Book 1 with this thing. With songs like: "Over the meadow and down the lane"??? Where the hell is "Purple Haze"????
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!