HBs, P90s, F-style single coils and filtertrons if you must

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by Biddlin, Oct 11, 2018.

?

What type of pickup do you use/prefer?

Poll closed Oct 18, 2018.
  1. PAF type

11 vote(s)
    84.6%
  2. P90

9 vote(s)
    69.2%
  3. Active HB

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Fender style single coil

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  5. Filtertron

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  6. other

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I'm not really interested in why Ubersturm P90s make Joe's P90s sound puny or why I should spend $250 on a set of Stunctmeier hand wound unpotted paf clones. My query here is more to working guitarists than hobbyists, but I don't want to exclude anyone.
    Last night I worked on a demo for a friend. It was a happy pop music tune and I decided to take my LPJ because the humbuckers are easier to manage in a recording situation. Had it been a bluesier or hard rock song, I likely would have taken my LP GT Tribute with P90s, and let the engineer worry about the hum. A couple of weeks ago, I was called upon by the same friend to cover some Hershel Yatovitz riffs and I took my Strat with Texas Specials.
    Now factually, I could have carried my N225 and taken care of all of those sessions. (with the exception of a particular Yatovitz passage that I can't seem to get right on anything but the Strat.:rofl:) But over the years I have like most of you developed preferences and prejudices and I go with my instincts about which guitar for which gig.
    Here's my question: How do you decide what type of pickup you are going to use? Do you use a variety like me or stick to a single type?
    Feel free to give as much or as little explanation as you like. I really want to "get into your heads" on pickups.

2. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

I'm certainly not a pro musician, and I don't play a particularly wide variety of styles, so the main deciding factor is what I feel sounds like "me". I generally prefer the tones I get from PAF style humbuckers and P90s, and I feel they suit my playing and fit the tones I hear in my head and want to get out.

Sometimes I feel the sound of a good tele bridge pickup is called for as well.

Biddlin likes this.
  3. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Active Member

I'm primarily a neck player, and while a good P90 in the neck is a tone that could be described as "dreamy" nothing beats a good hum in the neck. ESPECIALLY on a 22 fret guitar.

Biddlin and AngelDeVille like this.
  4. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

2000 SG Special
    Bridge: 490T
    Neck: 490R

[​IMG]

2004 SG Classic
    Bridge: Kinman Zero-Hum P-90 Nasty
    Neck: Stock P-90

[​IMG]

2018 American Pro Strat
    Kinman Zero-Hum Woodstock Set

Biddlin likes this.
  5. Crazy_8

Crazy_8 Well-Known Member

I voted for other, in this case De Armond or Gretsch Dyna-sonic pickups

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Biddlin likes this.
  6. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

My partner Jason Newbone had an old hollow archtop with a De Armond. "Husky" sounding at full volume.