Headstock veneer/ missing logo question

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Plan Zero, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Plan Zero

Plan Zero Active Member

I'm considering another project husk but there's one big thing wrong and that's the missing logo on the headstock. In fact the Headstock isn't even black so I assume someone pulled the veneer off (I can't upload a pic; file too big) at some point though i can't for the life of me figure out why. Everything else confirms it is genuine. My question is did Gibson use a veneer back in the early 70s or was it black paint? My 68 really looks like paint. Also is the SG headstock the same as an LP? I found several LP veneers on eBay but I highly doubt they'd fit properly. Second option is buy a full size veneer with logo and cut to fit (I've never done this so I'm wary of how it will come out), and third option would be to mask and paint the headstock black then add a period correct waterslide decal. Info/opinions would be appreciated.

2. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

Crox guitars will have what you’re looking for.

Headstock are all over the place as far as size goes. Different years and models. Not very consistent. But easily trimmed once it’s glued in place.

Most of the headstock have some sort of overlay. Holly was the most common. But I’m sure there’s a ton of variation there too. Some of the logos were cut into the letters you see. Some were rough shapes of the logo in pearl with a black silk screen to define the letters.

I’d sway that you should go the route you’re most comfortable with. If you don’t want to get all cuddly with inlays or trimming the headstock cap...then go with a pearl decal of some sort. No wrong way to go.

3. njpaulc

njpaulc Active Member

What year, what model? The hard and fast rule about old Gibsons is there is no hard and fast rule. Me, i'd mask it off, get a good quality spray can of black lacquer and give it multiple light coats, put on the decal a couple of light coats of clear and polish it up.

S.Ustain, LDS, Tuica and 1 other person like this.
  4. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

Was it a painted on logo?

5. Plan Zero

Plan Zero Active Member

Not sure it's on a 72 sg2

6. shreddy bender

shreddy bender Well-Known Member

I had a 72 SG III. Same guitar as yours except in cherry sunburst. It was a black veneer with the gold silkscreen Gibson logo.
    Hope that helps!

Plan Zero likes this.
  7. Plan Zero

Plan Zero Active Member

Thanks yes that helps. The potential husk in question shows some wear and I'm pretty sure I'm keeping the original finish, so I'd like to distress the finish a bit on the headstock. This will also allow me some room for error. I think paint may look best but I'll look into a veneer. The seller claims the guy he got it from started to strip the finish at the headstock then stopped. The other option is to not do anything, maybe just a vinyl decal (yes I admit the Gibby logo is important to me) and leave the headstock unfinished but that would look the worst.

shreddy bender likes this.
  8. S.Ustain

S.Ustain Member

If it's a painted/decal logo, those are totally easy to find. Doing as njpaulc suggests should work really well. Doing an overlay is also easy. I've done 'em all. If the surface is nice, njpaulc's suggestion of black lacquer, decal, and clear should yield a great result easily.

Plan Zero likes this.