Hell Bent for SG's...

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by SatansGwitar, Feb 17, 2020.

1. SatansGwitar

SatansGwitar Member

Discovered this great clip along with another one looking to see if Glenn and KK performed their first three albums with SG's, because the sound is so apparent on the recordings...and voila! Double the SG, four horns and a banshee of a vocalist. My fave era of Judas Priest! BTW whats your fave Judas Priest pre-leather days album?

2. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

Rocka Rolla. But I like everything up through Hell Bent Leather/Killing Machine too. Les Binks being my favorite drummer and then Simon Phillips.

SG John and SatansGwitar like this.
  3. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Sin After Sin. That album, to me, was the groundwork not just for Priest to get heavier but for every other metal band to try to hit the same high bar. Great songs all the way through, great playing all the way through, and they scared the sh!t out of everyone with 'Dissident Aggressor' - nobody knew what had hit them. I remember that song had the impact at the time that "Painkiller" did when it was released all those years later: Judas Priest had just laid down the law on you and there was nothing you could do about it.

4. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Stained Class..

I actually still have the original cassette from ‘79, lol

cerebral gasket likes this.
  5. SatansGwitar

SatansGwitar Member

Rocka Rolla doesn't get alotta love it seems, I think its a good debut album... Winter, Never Satisfied are some great jams! I remember the first time I listened to that album and was shocked it sounded nothing like Screaming for Vengeance or Painkiller, being young and naive. Then with the following albums I kinda just got it especially after developing an ear for and playing the SG and quickly their first three albums are my fave of Judas Priest. The warmer sound, mood switches and even Rob's vocal theatrics he no longer does just make such a great sound. I'm sure Rocka Rolla, Sad Wings and Sin After would sound different on other guitars. Les is on the latter albums right?

arcticsg likes this.
  6. SatansGwitar

SatansGwitar Member

Heheh, I agree Sin After Sin is their greatest, and that last track was a brick to the forehead. That record is a 10/10 for me

gball likes this.
  7. ungarn

ungarn Member

Les Binks just joined KK's Priest, Ripper Owen's on vocals!

brashboy, SatansGwitar and koaguilds like this.
  8. gball

gball Well-Known Member

I'll never forget when the album was first out - I was in the process of wearing out Sad Wings Of Destiny when it was released and the first time I listened to it was with my buddy from down the street...the whole album just kicked so much a$$, but when Dissident Aggressor came out of the speakers for the first time we were just speechless. It was like Priest had opened a door to a whole new way of listening to music with that one song. Nothing was ever the same.

SatansGwitar likes this.
  9. koaguilds

The opening riffs of Dying to Meet You are very cool. Run Of The Mill is very memorable.

SatansGwitar likes this.
  10. SatansGwitar

SatansGwitar Member

I can only imagine that, I'm only 36 so I'm quite sure that was epic as hell back then, jealous. I'm probably of the few of my generation who still buys records and sits there reading admiring the artwork and lyrics while jamming away and Sin After Sin is definitely one of those records. I swear I was born in the wrong decade lol. Other than maybe three other records Master of Reality being one of them, SAS gave me whiplash on first listen, its so moody with those infectious riffs in between and Rob just going ape $hit all over it. If coke the drug was an actual band this is what it would sound like...sniff after sniff lol

gball likes this.
  11. SatansGwitar

SatansGwitar Member

Oh another awesome clip....and four horns of delight!

koaguilds likes this.
  12. gball

gball Well-Known Member

I'd say that in that time period the albums that really stoked the fire in me were Sin After Sin of course (along with Unleashed in the East), Sabotage, Lights Out, All The World's A Stage, and Taken By Force. There were plenty of other things I was into, like Bad Company and Lynyrd Skynyrd and Aerosmith and Zeppelin, but those were the records as a young guy that made me want to learn to play guitar and in particular play Hard Rock/Metal.

rotorhead likes this.
  13. jtcnj

jtcnj Well-Known Member

I grew up around British Steel and onward, and drifted away after Turbo.
    I had heard a little of the stuff before that, but only in the last couple of years dove in hard from the beginning.

Sad Wings is it for me right now if I had to pick, but also along with Stained Class and Killing Machine.
    I need to revisit Rockarolla and Sin After Sin.

gball likes this.
  14. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

Holy cow! One of them is playing a 1962 ebony block SG. That's my holy grail guitar, never thought I'd see Judas Priest yielding one!

SatansGwitar and arcticsg like this.
  15. gball

gball Well-Known Member

I'd like to also extend a nod to Point Of Entry. It's often overlooked and seems to be misunderstood, but when listened to in the spirit it was intended (something a bit lighter and easier-going) it's really a fantastic record. Maybe it's just the nostalgia I feel for it since it came out while I was in high school, but I don't think so...it's still in regular rotation when I am in my Priest "moods" and it holds up really well for me. An added bonus is that it's sonically one of the best-sounding of all their albums.

16. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

The live version of Green Manalishi on Unleashed in the East is one of the hardest rocking songs I've ever heard.

gball likes this.
  17. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Truer words have never been spoken, er...written. That whole album is an absolute inspiration.

plankton likes this.
  18. koaguilds

One of the tracks they didn't include on the original release.

JackStraw, cerebral gasket and gball like this.
  19. gball

gball Well-Known Member

One of the greatest songs ever recorded.

cerebral gasket and koaguilds like this.
  20. koaguilds

Fast forward many years from his SG days, KK's solo starting at 4:27 is brutal.

JackStraw and SatansGwitar like this.