Hello and Advice

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by JKF, Apr 22, 2019.

1. JKF

JKF New Member

Hi
    I'm new here so I thought I'd say hello. I'm looking for advice really. I am after an early 60's vintage SG - 1961 Les Paul model with tremolo. I have seen a couple with the Lyre engraved vibrola (on a 1961 Les Paul model) but for some reason I thought these were not introduced until 1963 or 64? Can anyone confirm? Hence I am not sure if the guitar is original. Also, I've seen the sideways pull system which seems to be on most from this era but have heard its not that great. I've seen a really nice guitar with this system. Can anyone who owns one share their experiences with me of this system - is it unusable due tuning issues? What is also confusing is that the 're-issue' 61 SG seems to come with the Lyre - which would denote its on the original as isn't it meant to be a copy? - so, I'm basically very confused!! I see many have vintage guitars on here so I thought someone will be in the know! At present, I have a 30 yo SG standard - although not vintage in guitar terms it is a very nice example and sounds great and I have a Tony Iommi limited edition les Paul SG (which I bought around 20 years ago). Thanks :-) 56290948_2586884241386138_9052830739640352768_n.jpg

bwotw likes this.
  2. Dale

Dale Well-Known Member

I don't know the answer to your questions. However, nice guitar.

3. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm no expert and I'm sure smarter folk than I will weigh in but I'll say that I can't recall having seen a real vintage '61 with the vibrola. They came with the sideways Maestro vibrato (a.k.a. the wiggle stick). That has a really bad rep as being a tuning nightmare and didn't last, and I understand it was then that the vibrola came into play, maybe as early as '62 but certanily by '63.

When you say you see a bunch of '61s with vibrolas maybe you're seeing '61 reissues? They really don't make much effort to be historically accurate to a '61 behind the bridge. Most of them have no trem at all, just a stop tailpiece and that's just not accurate to any real original '61 Standard I've seen. Others can be found with a vibrato of some sort but the type varies: with vibrolas, maestro's, even bigsby's. I think of those reissues as mostly a '61-'64 "reimagined" tribute, explaining the variety of different hardware combinations available. Bottom line, lots of people would love a '61 SG Les Paul Standard but very few today want that wiggle stick as something to actually use. For selling purposes, then, your recreations would likely not want to focus on accurately including that feature, and that's what seems to have happened.

But if you are seeing real '61s with the vibrola I'd love to see them just to improve my own knowledge. Got some links?