Help and advice about G400 switching off while playing

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by Girl_Rock, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Girl_Rock

Girl_Rock Active Member

Hi, I'm writing this post because heard I'm not the only one to have a guitar that sometimes "switches off" while playing. Do you have a view on this? Does your G400 do this while you are playing it?
    The lastest time it happened was yesterday night. The guitar usually have problems with the rhythm pick-up, but yesterday it happened to the treble one. I thought the problem was getting bigger, so I opened it. The electronic circuit seems to be ok, I do not see disconnected wires or broken ones or similar. Can you give me an advice?

With "guitar switching off" I mean that while I'm playing for a short period of time the sound seems to fall to ground, so you do not hear anything. I'm not the only one that noticed it, so for this reason I want to ask you if there is something I can do.

2. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    Given your symptoms, the most likely culprit is the pickup selector switch. This is one area where Epiphone have gone a bit too cheap. Replace it with a decent one (Switchcraft?), which you can get from Stewmac.

Girl_Rock and dub-setter like this.
  3. Girl_Rock

Girl_Rock Active Member

Ok thank you so much donepearce

4. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

Or first give the underside of the switch a spray of electrical contact cleaner and work it back and forth a bit. Might solve the issue cheaply.

It could be an problem with the wiring too, even if you can't see anything wrong. You can use a multimeter to find any bad connections.

Nemesis0710 and Girl_Rock like this.
  5. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

This is probably your best shot.

If you want to go a step further, take it out, take it apart, bend the prongs a tad towards the middle so they put a little more pressure on the lever, reassemble, lubricate and voilà. You're good to go for a few years.

I lubricate my 4 Epiphone toggle switches about once a year and even the 17 year old SG still perform flawlessly.

Toggle switch.jpg

Nemesis0710, fredlw and Girl_Rock like this.
  6. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Active Member

Could it be that you just rock too damn hard?

TChalms and Girl_Rock like this.
  7. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

It's probably the switch as others have said, but I believe it might be a box type switch. Simple fix is to spray contact cleaner, or lacking that, WD40, into the hole, and wiggle it like crazy for 10 seconds. Should fix the issue.

Girl_Rock likes this.
  8. Girl_Rock

Girl_Rock Active Member

Thank you to all. I love my Epi and I don't want to separate. I'd like to keep it the most original possible: I love it as it is...

You are right, I thought the same thing. I usually resolve the problem switching from treble to rhythm and viceverse quickly, so I think the real problem is the switch, not much the wires, but have a checkup is always a good thing.

Thank you again!!! :bowdown:

Col Mustard likes this.
  9. Girl_Rock

Girl_Rock Active Member

Sure, I always keep on rocking the beast! :dude:

Col Mustard likes this.
  10. Girl_Rock

Girl_Rock Active Member

I'd like to ask Tony Iommy if he uses his SGs for other genres, eheh... :rofl:
    Well, Epiphone and Gibson SGs are good for blues, rock and metal. I use my G400 for songs from blues to hard rock, then there's the cousin Gibson for stronger music. I don't mean that the Epi doesn't play Sabbath (it does and pretty well!). I listen to my heart and to my guitars, I like giving them a specific genre because I know they can do it well, and yes... expecially for AC/DC's music I rock hard. I feel born to play that and I'm proud of it, I don't care if scientists say rock 'n' roll is noise pollution.

Col Mustard and Von Trapp like this.
  11. Von Trapp

Von Trapp Active Member

It's clear from your attitude that you can't, and will not, fail. Check out Thundermother from Sweden. https://www.thundermother.com/

Last edited: Feb 29, 2020
    Girl_Rock likes this.
  12. Bert Scrogshaw

Bert Scrogshaw Member

Are you playing your guitar straight into an amp....or do you use effects pedals? Some pedals when used together can sometimes "cancel out" or reduce signal when used in conjunction with other similar type effects pedals.....usually modulation type pedals.

13. Girl_Rock

Girl_Rock Active Member

Without pedal

14. Bert Scrogshaw

Bert Scrogshaw Member

Looks like an intermittent switch/switch wiring issue. But please just check one more possibility that may have been overlooked.....check the lead from guitar to amp for possible intermittent loss of signal...maybe try another lead if you have one.

Col Mustard, Girl_Rock and plankton like this.
  15. Girl_Rock

Girl_Rock Active Member

Yes, I have another one, I try. Also one of my friends that has a G400 like mine (I think his is just one year younger, but it's the same model, so I suppose the same harware), has the same problems, so I don't think it's a problem of wires from guitar to amp... I was worried about wires inside the guitar or more serious problems, which could force me to replace some important elements, like the pick-ups. If it's only the switch I can resolve the thing cheaply...

Coming back, thank you, I check with a different cable.

16. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

It is a very common occurence on Epiphone toggle switches, just clean/lubricate it.

Girl_Rock and Bert Scrogshaw like this.
  17. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

Temp 4111.jpg

Temp 4112.jpg

Girl_Rock likes this.
  18. Bert Scrogshaw

Bert Scrogshaw Member

I hope that you can fix the problem quickly and get back to uninterrupted guitar playing.

19. dub-setter

dub-setter Well-Known Member

i just would get a new switch.. (switchcraft)

they are not that expensive.

Girl_Rock likes this.
  20. Kentucky gentleman

Kentucky gentleman New Member

Get a good high quality switch from Gibson...not much of a fan of Stew Mac. If you like to play it's a small cost.

Girl_Rock likes this.