Help - Do I Have a 1961 Les Paul?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by rwilliam, Mar 16, 2005.

1. rwilliam

rwilliam New Member

I have owned this guitar since new and I believe it is a 1961, Cherry Finish, Les Paul with a side pull vibrato. The serial number is 41050 and according to the Gibson web site, 1961 serial numbers are 100-42440.

My guitar looks exactly like the photo in the "everthingSG.com web site" showing the Les Paul (SG Style) 1961-1963.

I'm considering selling this guitar and I would like to verify that this is a 1961 Les Paul.

I would appreciate any help!

Thanks,

Bob Williams
    robert.williams@juno.com

2. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to ETSG rwilliam! :D :D :D

It is sad to hear you are considering selling it..... especially if you have had it that long. Pix would be helpful and we love seeing them anyway. Assuming there is no "Made In USA" on the head stock it sounds like it will be the 61. But again pix will help.

Just out of curiosity, why are you looking to part with it? 8) 8) 8)

3. ess

ess Guest

bought new? what year did ye buy it R? :D :?:

4. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

Bob, get the numbers off the pots... that will help.

Does it have a "Les Paul" truss rod cover? If it does... and you're the only owner, thats good. If it doesn't... it doesn't mean its NOT a 61.

Going on serial number alone, I'd say you're in the game for a 61. My way of thinking here, unless the pots are dated 62 or so, its a 61, and somebody would have to prove to me otherwise. That is, some clown out there is always gonna say no... its a 63, 62 whatever, because he wants a lower price. I see no reason to believe 'em if the serial number and pots date out correctly.

Condition matters! But a REALLY nice and clean one... you're gonna get some nice spendin' money from it.

Of course, be VERY VERY wary. You MAY want to consign the piece thru a place like Gruhn or Elderly. Personally, I think Gruhn has their heads up their butts these days, but... they do have the rep. Elderly seems to be nicer people to deal with, and are known for their having some really nice used instruments as well. I have no idea of the consignment fees, but you'd be ensured of a proper sale, no scamming.

I mean... we're talking about serious money here.... you might want to haggle a bit with the consign fee too.

5. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Good points CB........ 8) 8) 8)

6. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

Hey Rob. welcome to etsg... are you sure you want to part with that? it'll do nothing but increase expotencially in value!!...not to mention having it that long...

7. lagger

lagger Member

I am looking to buy one for a fair price ( fair to both of us) please PM me and we can talk I have been on a quest for one for a considerable amount of time so I have a lot of info and insight into this model