Help Identify this SG

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by Bontavious, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Bontavious

Bontavious New Member

Hi Everyone,

I just bought this Epiphone SG Special secondhand from Amazon. It was advertised as an Epiphone SG Special w/ KillPot. It is not. It does not have the pickguard that those models had, and it does not have a killpot. I'm assuming that it is an earlier model SG special. The label with the serial number has been removed, and I can't really seem to find out more about it. I have a feeling that the person selling it had to have it listed as something on Amazon, so they chose that particular tag. I'm currently waiting to hear back from them. Does anyone out there have an idea of exactly what model I have? I've been looking at pictures of older SG Specials, but none of them seem to have the speed knobs that this one has on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Guitar is pictured in attachment

Attached Files:

• sg.jpg
      sg.jpg
      File size:
      318.1 KB
      Views:
  2. Lynurd Fireburd

Lynurd Fireburd Active Member

Isn't that a G-310?

3. Scootermuppet

Scootermuppet Well-Known Member

Hi Bontavious, and welcome to the forum!

Looks like a Special to me... the earlier ones (up to 2010) don’t have the killpot, and speed knobs are standard.

EFD14676-2C92-46B4-A3EC-B1D2EFF62846.jpeg

As for the serial number, you are right, very early ones (89-90 if I remember correctly) had a sticker on the back of the headstock, but later ones have it on the neck plate on the back of the guitar?

Pictures of the front and back of the headstock, and neck plate would help narrow it down a little more if you have a chance to take them?

And Specials don’t have pickguards as standard.

Hope that helps!

Bob

Lynurd Fireburd likes this.
  4. Bontavious

Bontavious New Member

It's definitely a special. I'll grab a couple of pictures after work and throw them up here. There is a number on the neckplate, but I couldn't get any of the websites to make any sense of it. Either way, thanks for your help and I'll get some pics up this afternoon.

5. Bontavious

Bontavious New Member

That's the headstock and neck plate. The guy that sold it to me had no idea anything about it. When it arrived it wasn't making any sound through the amp, and I had to tighten the output jack, but other than that it seems to be in solid condition. When I told the seller it didn't function, he suggested charging the batteries, before telling me his son had it lying around, and when he listed it on Amazon, the only option he saw for an SG Special was the one that he advertised it as. Clearly he's not the one to ask about anything guitar related lol. It's a great little guitar that I got pretty cheap, I'm just a little curious about it.

Attached Files:

6. LDS

LDS Member

Samick Indonesia, January 2006 possibly?