Help Identifying a Craigslist SG (SG-X?)

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Kabrijj, Nov 15, 2017.

1. Kabrijj

Kabrijj Well-Known Member

Hey all,
    Came across this little mysterious number on craigslist the other day for $400. The title was "Gibson Double Cut Solid Body 6 String" which makes me think the owner isn't quite sure what model it is... so, I'm asking here :fingersx:

These are the only pics posted... not much to go off.

00g0g_lHyNOhPJI6n_600x450.jpg

00B0B_14KFGYembsS_600x450.jpg

00B0B_iM5AJw0Q7MT_600x450.jpg

00w0w_3wV3baJnOnV_600x450.jpg

The description is simply "GIBSON CASH ONLY USA SOFT CASE" Gotta love Craigslist, right?

My initial thought is it's a Gibson SG-X. The pickguard looks right, and there appears to be a mini-toggle on the body.

But, call me crazy: I'm pretty sure the original post at $400 had a different picture of the headstock, and I'm pretty sure the TRC said "SG-I". That kind of throws a seed of uncertainty in my SG-X diagnosis.

I say I'm pretty sure because that ad no longer exists: these pics are from a new ad where the price is $350.

So, I'm operating under the assumption, for the moment at least, it's an SG-X. That being said, if anyone knows more, please let me know.

Also: anyone have any experience with an SG-X?

And what's with the American Flag? I've only ever seen that on one Gibson before... why is it there? When did they do that?

Finally: should I get it? :D I need another SG like a need a hole in the head... but I am a gear junkie, and I do love SGs... Ha!

Those Tacoma tuners would have to go, though. Immediately. :facepalm:

2. Kabrijj

Interesting read: Gibson SG-X: Everything You Never Wanted To Know!

3. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

ya SG-X it is...but official name is SG-1.
    the flag was put on as part of the all-american series sometime mid-90s...iirc there were cheaper versions of production models which also included an LP and melody maker...i think.

4. Kabrijj

Well, for whatever it's worth...

Wrote to the guy asking if I could come check it out, and it had sold earlier this morning.

Probably for the best. I don't need another SG.

But the thought of a single pickup SG got me excited!

But I don't need another SG.

Probably. :naughty:

5. everdying

everdying Well-Known Member

there was a time when ppl were going crazy over the SG-X coral series...with their fancy pastel summer colors.
    back then i liked the SG-X that was in a mahogany brown finish...cept i didnt have enough money :p

6. flatrockmobile

flatrockmobile Well-Known Member

SG-I All American came first like the '96 in my avatar. A pick guard was added later and became the SG-X. Pick guard could've been added to an SG-I. Mini toggle was present on both, it cuts one coil for to make it a single coil. Great guitar and my favorite of all I own. I bought mine about 10 years ago for $350 from CL, but I've seen them go for $800-$900 on ebay.

7. jtees4

jtees4 Well-Known Member

I had an SG1, it was a great rock machine....the pick guard was added and the name changed as far as I know.