Help me verify year - SG Special 1968?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Clinical, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Clinical

Clinical New Member

See attached pictures. According to some online Gibson serial number searches and some people on FB that know Gibson's pretty well, I think I've narrowed this down to a 1968 Gibson SG Special. Is this accurate? What else should I look at to confirm? Also, what would you guys value this guitar at? Would any other pictures help to confirm year and/or condition? Gibson SG Special Serial.jpg Gibson SG Special Front.jpg

cerebral gasket and Gahr like this.
  2. Hector

Hector Well-Known Member

Does it have a volute? (I can't see on the first photograph)

3. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

According to the Guitar Dater Project website, your SG was made at the Kalamazoo Plant in 1968.

It's great looking guitar you have there! But what's with the bridge? It seems like it's on backwards?

cerebral gasket likes this.
  4. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

As @Gahr pointed out, the serial number indicates 1968.

You can also check the pot codes.

13768XX = 1968
    13769XX = 1969
    XX = week number

There is no volute because there is no Made in USA stamp since neither of those features existed until late 1970.

Also the dot is missing over the “i” on logo which is a feature of 1969 but is also found on some late 1968 models.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  5. Plan Zero

Plan Zero Active Member

It's worthless. I'll take it off your hands for $300.

6. LarryC

LarryC Active Member

bridge is on backwards.... What's the nut width? Are the frets worn out? What about the finish?

Lynurd Fireburd likes this.
  7. Susihukkanen

Susihukkanen Well-Known Member

Most likely this is ’69. It has 3-piece neck that was introduced after mid-69. Same year ’69 says the Gibson logo without dot over i. Tiny volute is also introduced after mid ’69. Also the bevels are too shallow to be 68. Until mid 69 they were significantly more large and then the started to diminish up to 73 or so. To my eye this is a clear 69.
    And just for reference, I have a 69 SG having serial number 89900x and definitely that is NOT a 68 but a 69. Otherwise Gibson would have invented a time machine. Those serial number databases are filled with incorrect info and that is why they are not reliable.

8. cerebral gasket

I believe most likely a 1969 as well. My first Gibson was a 1969 SG Special that I purchased used in the 1980's. I always liked that little detail of the missing dot over the "i" on the headstock logo. Even if the pots have 1968 codes, it's not uncommon to use leftover pots from the previous year.

Nut width on these would be 1-9/16.

[​IMG]

Susihukkanen likes this.
  9. Clinical

Clinical New Member

Yeah, bridge is definitely on backwards. I'll have to fix that. I'll have to check on nut width? what will this information tell me? I'll have to ask for pictures of the frets and get more closeups on the finish. It's been a while since I've seen it up close. From the one picture I have, i think the finish is pretty good. I request better pictures from the owner. Anything else i should request while i'm at it?

10. Susihukkanen

Of course the pot codes would be nice if those are the original ones. The single most valuable and easily switchable part are the pick ups. If you can verify those are the originals not some cheapo aftermarket p90s would be good.
    Heel joint and neck by the head stock are quite easy to broke if the guitar fells from a stand. So inspect those carefully. Also the heel joint type is important. I assume this has a semi-circle shaped heel joint (a clear 1969 feature). If it has more square like, it would be very early 1970. So pic of that feature would be good.
    But that SG looks gorgeous!

11. cerebral gasket

SG nut width:

1961-1964 1-11/16 in.
    1965-1979 1-9/16 in.
    1980-present 1-11/16 in. except certain models such as SG Xtra Slim with 1.55 in. nut width.

Nut width on this one is more than likely 1-9/16 because of the batwing. The transition to batwing was 1966.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2018
  12. Clinical

Clinical New Member

Everything mentioned so far is duly noted, I will need to check all of this. Assuming everything is original, no real damage, and the quality and finish look good. What would you say is the current market value for this guitar? I need to make this gentleman an offer, he has no idea what the guitar is worth. He thought it was a cheapo guitar that was passed down to him from his grandpa.

13. Susihukkanen

Ball park value here in Europe around 2700 euros. In US about one grand less.

14. LarryC

LarryC Active Member

I'd say $US somewhere between 2500-3000

15. Clinical

Clinical New Member

Hi Everyone, just a follow up on this. I had the friend of mine that owns this have a luthier look at this guitar. See attached PDF document and description from the luthier and additional pictures attached. He dates it as mostly likely an early 1969 made with some leftover 1989 parts. He thinks the neck looks solid with no structural damage he can see. All the electronics are original.

How much would you value this guitar at? And where would be the best place to sell a guitar like this to get the best price?

SAM_0453.JPG SAM_0454.JPG SAM_0455.JPG SAM_0457.JPG SAM_0458.JPG SAM_0459.JPG SAM_0460.JPG SAM_0461.JPG

Attached Files:

16. Clinical

Clinical New Member

Oh Yeah, and the bridge was put back on the right way and it's fine.

17. cerebral gasket

Very nice SG Special.

The closeup of the pot has 1969 pot code. The neck heel joint has the features of 1969. Open "b" and "o" on logo with missing dot over the "i" is typical of 1969.

The late 1960's SG Specials with the bound neck, dots, batwing and P-90's are my favorite ones. I always enjoy seeing them still fully intact.

PermissionToLand likes this.
  18. Clinical

Clinical New Member

@cerebral gasket How much do you think this could sell for (conservative top dollar value, and minimum..) and where would be the best place to sell it? I'm trying to decide what to offer this guy, I want to be fair, or if I should just be a nice guy and help him sell it for top dollar. I'm sure he's willing to sell it to me at the lower end of a fair price spectrum.

19. cerebral gasket

https://reverb.com/price-guide/guide/2595-gibson-sg-special-with-maestro-vibrola-1969-cherry

20. Clinical

Clinical New Member

Okay, I guess Reverb is the authority on this. I've already been looking at the reverb price guide, was wondering if you guys had any better pulse on prices, but I guess reverb is the best place for that.