Help me verify year - SG Special 1968?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Clinical, Mar 12, 2018.

1. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

I have seen them with higher asking prices in local shops that stock vintage gear compared to online prices. But I guess the reason is because you have the advantage to try before you buy. I hope you get it for a fair price, it looks like a nice one. Let us know what happens.

2. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Well, that at least tells you what they have sold for recently on Reverb. You can look at completed auctions on Ebay as well. Seeing as any used item is only worth what people are willing to pay, that's a better guide than what any of our opinions may be. I still think like it's 10 years ago when these went for around $1000.

Small shops are always going to be more expensive because of the overhead. Lots of Reverb sellers are just operating out of their homes.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    cerebral gasket likes this.
  3. Clinical

Clinical New Member

Do you guys think $1200 would be a good price for this? He’s willing to sell it to me at that price.

4. Susihukkanen

Susihukkanen Well-Known Member

I would take it!

5. cerebral gasket

I would not hesitate to get it at that price.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018
  6. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

That is an excellent price. I am so jealous.

7. Clinical

Clinical New Member

Well, I bought the guitar. As soon as I got it I took it to a luthier to get properly setup. The guitar plays really well, action is great and intonation is surprising really good, which I was pleased with since these old SG specials have those fixed bridge styles where you cannot adjust for each string like a tunomatic. My luthier said if I decided to leave it alone it would be fine, but if it bugs me I could get a replacement from tonepros. Or even just replacement studs from tonepros to lock the bridge down, since it can technically move on the posts. The only other quirky thing about the guitar is that the tuners are very tight, just from being so old. So I have to turn them pretty hard to tune, it’s not that big of a deal. Everything is original on this guitar and it plays really well and sounds great to boot. I’m out of town this week so can’t play it, but was kind enough to let a buddy borrow it to play in church this past Sunday. Here’s a picture of the guitar from his instagram post.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bk-ixZ-H8jK/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=1ywl448xf3b3

cerebral gasket likes this.
  8. Clinical

Clinical New Member

Any one recommend any reversible improvements to this guitar, like a specific model bridge or tuners? Do you think I should leave the tremolo as it is? I’ll probably eventually sell this and would keep the guitar with all original hardware, but while I have it and use it as a main guitar, are there any improvements you would recommend? Or just don’t touch it and deal with the quirks?

9. cerebral gasket

You can remove the short vibrola and store it in a safe place. The three screw holes that will be visible from the missing vibrola add character to the guitar. String it up with existing wraparound bridge and you should be golden.

Pictured below is my 1970 SG Junior with the same bridge setup.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018
  10. Clinical

Clinical New Member

Do any of you have a recommendations for a hardcase that can fit the guitar with the vibrola?