Help! Neck binding on Epi SG?

Discussion in 'Epiphone SG' started by Lunacy the Faded, Jun 27, 2018.

1. Lunacy the Faded

Lunacy the Faded Active Member

I don't know what year or if it is stock but it appears so, anyone have a guess at where it was made and what it should cost in dollars? Thanks 84cc59c1fc57f54e95655271b8f1a04d.jpg 12eecb4e7905304aa303e8f81daf6818.jpg

2. Lunacy the Faded

That one I can get shipped for $220, but nothing for a description... (seems like that's a deal)

However :naughty:

This one I found locally is a bit different and has a description of exactly what it is-- asking price $325

Hard to find 2003 Korean made Epiphone SG. Similar to the regular G-400 model but this "Vintage" model as it was known has a fully bound rosewood neck, a Gibson labelled truss rod cover, and the original high output units (Epiphone 57 ch(G) dot neck and Hot ch(G) in the bridge) Spec'd at 8.57 and a whopping 13.78 respecively.
    The biggest complaint with these was the poor components and rats nest wiring. That has all been replaced with new CTS pots, switch and connector as well as new oil-filled caps. Recently set up for great sustain and tone. Overall, a great gigging machine.
    Functionally, the sound is now amazing, the action is down to 4/64ths & 5/64ths. Cosmetically, it has seen a few bumps and a light neck crack (not break) has been fully repaired.
    Contact me with any questions and come give it a play - you will not be disappointed, especially at this price.

Screenshot_20180627-144517.png Screenshot_20180627-144526.png Screenshot_20180627-144512.png Screenshot_20180627-144524.png Screenshot_20180627-144519.png Screenshot_20180627-144522.png Screenshot_20180627-144528.png

3. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

I would investigate the neck crack. My g400 had a non fatal crack. I injected liquid nails into it and its a lot more stable now.

Sounds like a good deal.

Lunacy the Faded likes this.
  4. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

How can you turn down a guitar that's already setup to provide these things. :rofl:

Seriously though, the Korean models are quite nice, and personally I love the faded brown.

A local guitar will allow you to have a play and inspect it before you buy, whereas buying one online with limited description you may end up with something you don't like.

Unless of course the corn is included with that first guitar...

Lunacy the Faded likes this.
  5. Lunacy the Faded

It looks like it has fallen right on the tuning head I don't like that very much with the price even with the unpictured wiring harness, the guy won't like to be haggled since he worked on it so I probably will leave it alone for awhile before trying it for the same price, $220

Yes the corn...

I am more interested in the gloss cherry than worn brown to be honest, looks like it could be one of the newest bound SG makes. Here's a photo of a fellow members 2018 Epiphone with neck binding and similar tuners,

20180204_122228.jpg

So the knobs and switch tip on the corn one are different but the placement of the knobs are the same, tight like real gibson SG

6. Lunacy the Faded

Yes will do if I check out that worn brown in person. It is a fair deal (unless it had fallen over and cracked too badly)

the other one is a whole $100 less and I'm more interested in it, I'll see if I can get more pics and a serial number on that...

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
    Layne Matz likes this.
  7. dub-setter

dub-setter Active Member

i d go for the cherry one

but my feeling is more its an earlier koeran
    model not the pro one...

(fine guitars by the way)

8. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

I have the Cherry version of that Vintage and love it. The crooked tuner might not be from an impact, Koreans are known for crooked tuners. Easily remedied.

Personally, I'd go for the Vintage. One piece neck and no veneer on body.

http://www.epiphone.com/news-featur...400--why-is-this-guitar-shaking-up-the-i.aspx

Vintage G-400 - Why Is This Guitar Shaking Up The Industry?

[​IMG]

In the early '60's Gibson came up with a radical new guitar to inject a shot of adrenaline into the Les Paul line. They named the new guitar SG which stood for Solid Guitar, which is one of the biggest inside jokes in the guitar industry....sort of like saying Angus Young and Tony Iommi are just solid guitarists!

Now Epiphone offers a faithful reproduction of the classic Gibson guitar in a vintage finished, affordable package! One run up the 22 fret neck of the Vintage G-400 and you'll be hooked! The "Worn" finish gives the instrument the look and feel of the originals and the high-output designed in the U.S.A. pickups complete the hard rockin', vintage vibe! Check it out below:

[​IMG]
    Classic styling of the 1962 Gibson SG.

[​IMG]
    Worn finish gives the instrument the look and feel of the original.

[​IMG]
    Grover, die-cast tuning machines add to the tuning stability of the instrument.

[​IMG]
    Stop-bar tail-piece and powerful designed in the USA pick-ups make this baby scream!

[​IMG]
    Volume and tone controls with a three-way pick-up selector for versatility.

[​IMG]
    Set neck construction for nearly unlimited sustain.

9. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

My 2003 Epi Vintage G400 is my lightest, best playing SG and I've got a ton of 'em. The stock pickups are great for metal, English style blues and hard rock.

10. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Your house is not big enough to have a ton of them, they're too light for that. A ton of LP ... that only takes 3 or 4 of them.

Biddlin likes this.