Help needed: Classic Vibe 50s block

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Spyke, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Spyke

Spyke Active Member

Hi all.

I turn to you in need of help.

I recently got myself the Squier Classic Vibe 60th anniversary 50's Strat. I love it, but the trem arm does not stay "in position", as it screws in and gets tight just at the wrong place. If I want it in the right place it has "give" in the joint.

I know from experience that using a spring in the trem arm cavity fixes this, and this works brilliantly in my Classic Player Strat.

But... the hole in the block on the Squier goes all the way through the block, so if I insert a tension spring it simply falls through.

I visited the Fender Squier forum in search of advice and found that several people had told of replacing the block in their CV strats with other ones, which not only fixed this issue but also had an effect on sustain and tone.

When I put the question to them, which replacement block did they use, I was completely ignored, even after continued pleas. This despite posting in message where other forum members had already stated that they had carried out the procedure!

So, I'm wondering if anyone here has replaced the block in their CV 50's Chines Strat, and if so which ones should I be looking at (as I know that there are various different kinds, some of which may work and some may not).

With thanks,

Ant

Attached Files:

2. flyswatter

flyswatter Member

3. tpa

tpa Active Member

What about plugging the hole in the original block? If the hole is treaded through, find a matching set screw. If the hole is not treaded through, cut a thread and find a matching set screw or find a plug of suitable size and fit and mount it with a good strong glue like epoxy or cyanoacrylate. Actually if you have the tooling you could - as an alternative to modifying the block - cut the thread in the arm a little further. Just like 1/4 of a round until the arm ends in the right position.

4. Spyke

Spyke Active Member

Thanks! :)

I've been in touch with GFS and have made measurements... and I THINK the MIM brass version will fit. I've ordered it anyway. If it's wrong I'll order different one from them until it fits! I'll need to replace the trem arm with a 10-32 one as well, but should be worth it in the end.

Thank you for your help guys! :)

Ant

flyswatter likes this.
  5. lineboat

lineboat Well-Known Member

Some teflon tape on the arm will help too. It'll fill any voids, take up the slack, and make life easier. It'll hafta be rewrapped every now and then, but it's pretty inexpensive.

milesdeem, Biddlin and Paul G. like this.
  6. flyswatter

flyswatter Member

The other fixes people suggest don't take into account the fact that CV Strats have a thin, pot metal trem block to begin with, so there's the added advantage in replacing the block with a better on in improving the overall tone and stability of the guitar.

IMHO a Classic Vibe Strat becomes comparable to much higher end models once you replace the trem block, the dime pots, and the rather thin sounding bridge pickup.

Biddlin likes this.
  7. Dadou

Dadou Well-Known Member

teflon tape +1

8. Spyke

Spyke Active Member

It's arrived, and LOOKS right, but I've still to get some time to actually swap it over. Will let you know how it goes. Oh, and that big lump of brass is heavy and looks much more solid than the standard block!

Ant