Help Please with a Potential eBay Purchase

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by VintageVS6, Jun 1, 2020.

1. VintageVS6

VintageVS6 New Member

Hello,

I'm new to this forum so a big "hello" to everyone.

I've seen a left handed SGJ on eBay which the seller claims is a 2019 version with the G-Force tuning system, in 'as new' condition. Now, this could be all above board, but I'm nervous: yesterday the guitar was advertised twice, one 'ad' had a 'buy it now' price of £750 (auction ended yesterday - no bidders) and today the ad has been re-listed. The second ad for the same guitar is over 7 days with no 'buy it now' option (no bidders yet). I've got a feeling I could pick this up at a bargain price, but I'm a bit worried more knowledgeable people are spotting something I've missed. I've asked the seller for more details, but as yet no response. Very grateful for any advice.

2. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

Send us the link to the ad, so we can see it.

VintageVS6 likes this.
  3. VintageVS6

VintageVS6 New Member

Apologies, I'm blocked from posting a URL, but eBay (UK) item no. 133425805365

Thanks in advance for any replies and advice.

4. Derald

Derald Member

Well the SGJ was only built in 2013. So the Gforce is retrofit. SGJ and LPJ are great guitars with a faded/satin finish and 50’s style maple necks. 750 sounds high for this model even left handed. I see them for sale in the 500-600 range. Unless you really want the ETune system I would negotiate a much lower price. If you decide you want to off load the Gforce it won’t command much money and you have to buy a new set of tuners (SGJ/LPJ models came with Gibson Vintage Deluxe tuners so maybe the original drill holes are still there).

rotorhead and VintageVS6 like this.
  5. VintageVS6

VintageVS6 New Member

Thanks for the reply Derald, I didn't realise the SGJ was only produced in 2013 and the G Force is retrofit - explains why I couldn't find a 2019 version (fool that I am!).

The ad confused me as it states: 2019 model year and 'Opened – never used'. The seller is claiming: "Gibson SG LEFTY Guitar, Red. With Auto Tuner, Gibson bag & Gibson Guitar Strap everything NEW. condition" - perhaps just uncareful description from the seller.

I reckon I could pick it up for £400 including postage, is that reasonable? Apologies, another question, would it be better than my 'Vintage' VS6 SG 'clone'?. I'm only in the early stages of learning guitar.

6. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

I can't see the auction to verify the guitar, but I'd think 400 GBP would be a decent deal.

VintageVS6 likes this.
  7. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

OK, I've had a quick look at the listing. The G-Force is odd in that it's not Gibson branded, and also don't say 'G-Force'. I'm pretty sure it's actually the earlier Min-E-tune system, which wasn't branded. It's also inferior to the G-Force (slower, less reliable at tuning), so that's a bargaining point. This makes sense on a 2013, as it was optional that year, compulsory in 2014, and changed to G-Force in 2015. Quite a few people retro fitted a G-Force as a improvement to the Min-E-tune (as I did), but it doesn't seem to be the case here.

The serial number starts 13332.... which suggests it was made late in 2012, and that would fit with a 2013 model.

Quite possible it was bought in 2019, as Gibson were clearing stock of all sorts of 2013/14/15 models for a long time.

£400 sounds reasonable, but I' no expert on what these change hands for, have you looked on Reverb to see if there's any indication of prices there?

VintageVS6 likes this.
  8. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

Seems that recent sales on Reverb of 2013 SGJs were listed on the order of $400-$500 US. They might have actually sold for a little less if someone offered. But in general £400 seems about the right market price.

VintageVS6 likes this.
  9. VintageVS6

VintageVS6 New Member

Really do appreciate the very quick replies - "thank you". No, haven't looked at Reverb (confess I'd not heard of it), will do now. I'd love a genuine SG, here in the UK I'm very limited in affordable choice being a 'lefty'. I'm swaying towards taking a punt at £400, my Vintage VS6 needs a set up (truss rod is resonating and low E buzz), so that's going to cost me £100+

10. rotorhead

rotorhead Well-Known Member

Good stuff. I just wanted to note that both the LPJ and the SGJ were also made in 2014 with slight differences between model years.

I don't think that autotuners were offered in either version, though.

VintageVS6 likes this.
  11. VintageVS6

VintageVS6 New Member

Got it for £400 including shipping. Wish me luck chaps. I'll update when it arrives.

12. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

Great, welcome to the SG club. Come back and give us your review when you get it!

VintageVS6 likes this.
  13. VintageVS6

VintageVS6 New Member

SGJ has arrived and I'm delighted. I ended up having a telephone conversation with the seller as he was having problems collecting the PayPal payment. Turned out he's a retired gentleman who is selling all his musical instruments, that conversation gave me some confidence.

The guitar arrived yesterday very well packaged with original soft case. Very little signs of use and you have to look carefully to spot any of the very few surface marks (no dents, dings). It has the Tronical Tune system fitted, it's the left-handed version.

I was immediately struck by lightness of the guitar compared to my Vintage VS6 SG copy, the SGJ is also better balanced, the control knobs on the SGJ feel higher quality as does the finishing of the frets. Now, I'm a complete novice (returned to guitar after a 2 1/2 year 'lay off') so this description is poor - but a quick unplugged strum and the SGJ sounds so much better than the VS6 (duller, muted).

So I'm happy. I've got a great guitar for the price, I actually like the satin finish. Huge "thank you" for the original responses, I may well have missed out had it not been for those.

rotorhead likes this.
  14. Demon Dave

Demon Dave Member

Congrats, and we’re waiting for pics :cheers:

15. VintageVS6

VintageVS6 New Member

An update. I'm still delighted with SGJ, however, I'm not particularly impressed with the Tronical Tune Plus ( G-Force). When I first got the guitar I charged the battery (not that easy to get the battery out as it's sort of spring-loaded and only pops up a tiny bit, then it's a fingernail job). While I was waiting for some new strings to be delivered I used the auto tuner, it worked, but I decided I'd rather have normal tuners. So, new strings arrive - I've done the prep: watched YouTube videos, printed the instructions and found the recommended 1 Cent coin (brought home to the UK from a visit to New York) to tighten the lugs. Loosen low E string, fit new string and go through the auto-tighten process, string refuses to tune. OK, so let's do a factory reset, but now the battery is low. Recharge battery (45 mins) and factory reset, then as recommended tried to calibrate, E and A strings refuse to play ball. I then tried to retune all the strings, E refused to tune and A unwound!. I then changed and tuned the remaining strings manually, using the tuners didn't instil confidence and felt like winding a very cheap watch. Once done I tried the Tronical Tune again, and it worked - go figure? Heaven knows what I did wrong.