Help verifying authenticity of SG standard

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Kevin chapman, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Kevin chapman

Kevin chapman New Member

hi all. I’m new here and was hoping I could get some help with checking on the authenticity of this 05 SG. The seller seems very trustworthy, but I still wanted to see what I might have missed. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Kevin chapman

Kevin chapman New Member

I’ve tried to post more pics, but the website continues to tell me the files are too large. Perhaps some of you might be able to tell me some red flags.

3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Keep the file sizes under 1 MB.

Only first two digits of serial are visible. Possibly a refinish or masked for security reasons. If 2005 model, then 1st and 5th digits should be 0 and 5. The control cavity shape is same as all my early to mid 2000's SG. I can barely see the Made in USA stamp. From what little I see so far it appears to be legit. Tuners have been changed to Grovers. Maybe post some pics of the front for a more complete analysis.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  4. Kevin chapman

Kevin chapman New Member

Thanks. I’ll try, but I don’t have any smaller pics to post it the moment. Thanks for your input.

5. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Theres various websites to make pics smaller or sometimes you can email to yourself and choose smaller size.

Kevin chapman likes this.
  6. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Welcome to ETSG!

On my Mac, I use Preview to resize pictures. get them down to
    5x7@100, which translates to 500x700 pixels, and that should be small
    enough.

On a PC, you can likely download any of a variety of free software apps that will
    resize pictures for you.

About your posted guitar: I wouldn't worry about the serial number being hard to read.
    Many of the white painted SGs have the same condition. It probably has to do with how many
    coats of paint and filler are needed to render that finish.

Ask the seller for a very clear image of the serial number, and then you can verify it from
    Gibson. They will tell you when it was made, and what its original finish.

Right now, with the limited pictures, the guitar looks genuine. But we need more
    to work with. On the headstock, you can see the filled in holes where the stock tuners were.
    Someone installed Grover Rotomatics, which are too heavy for an SG. If the guitar won't balance,
    that's likely why. Maybe that's why he's selling it. It's an easy fix, to put a set of
    Grover Vintage Keystones back on and restore the balance. I had to learn this the
    hard way, of course.

7. bwotw

bwotw Well-Known Member

Seems perfectly legit. Serial numbers can be very hard to read on white finishes like this. But the general shape, s/n format, case... all check out. Were there 2005 white batwing SGs?

8. jtees4

jtees4 Active Member

Looks OK to me based on the limited pix. Nice SG!