help with distortion stomp box

Discussion in 'Effects' started by nosbig, Apr 26, 2005.

1. nosbig

nosbig New Member

I need some help selecting a distortion box for my SG. I dont know what box to get to make my SG sound like AC/DC or other rock bands. I'm using a Fender DeVille & a Leslie amps with a boss blues driver, boss super overdrive, & a voodo labs sparkel drive (not all at once) with my Roadhouse American Strat for playing the blues (I get a very good SRV sound) but it dosent sound very well with the SG, and I want to use the SG for the rock songs. Thanks for any help you guys can give me. (whats good & what to stay away from). :?

2. Hard2Hear

Hard2Hear Member

Aah, I played a Fender blues Deville 4x10 for several years.

Have you tried out any of the Marshall pedals? AC/DC is straight up Marshall tone. It's kinda hard to get on a Fender...I tried for years with several Fenders before I coughed it up and got a JCM2000TSL half stack. If you have the 2x12 version of the DeVille, you'll do better than with the 4x10 like I had. What you need to find is something really smooth with midrange overdrive that lets you bypass the natural fizzy distortion in the Fender. The Marshall pedals are a good place to start. I'm not really versed on pedals, so I'm not sure what else to suggest. I just know where you are and where you're trying to get to, cause I was too a few years ago.

H2H

3. maxguitar

maxguitar Member

Your SG might not sound good through the same settings as the strat, because the humbucking pickups are more powerful than single coils. Try messing around with settings. I'm not such a huge fan of Boss pedals anyway, but the BD is ok.

For distortion/overdrive I have the channel 2 of my amp (tech 21) set to the real heavy stuff. I also use an ibanez tubescreamer in my pedal chain but I leave the drive at "0", don't touch the tone and set the level even with the bypassed level. It just colors my sound enough so I can wail when the amp's clean but loud. The higher gain settings sound sweet too but I rarely turn it up.

Angus's sound doesn't really have that much distortion on it at all- it's just the SG's humbucker's ripping through a naturally overdriven amp, but he's obviously using marshall stacks so you ain't gonna get that sound from a pedal. That said, I think SG's sound wicked through tubescreamers and strats definitely do as well. More of a creamy-allman tone though.

4. Lex Lurid

Lex Lurid Guest

I have been playing about with some of the Effects Pedals that I have accumulated over the years and it has to be said that there really are only Two Overdrives that I keep coming back to. My Keeley Modded TS9 and an Xotic AC Booster. I am finding that most others tend to Grind just a tad too much for my tastes. Every day we are seeing and hearing about the latest Stomp Box that will do such and such......but I still keep coming back to these two. They both sound superb whatever Guitar one uses, be it a Strat, a Tele, an SG or a Les Paul.

Sure sign of one thing.....I'm getting very Old and Stuck in my ways!! :oops: [/i]

5. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

Ya ain't alone............. :oops: :roll: :lol:

6. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

man ya just can't have it all unless you buy it all can you??...

7. solidhex

solidhex Member

The old Chandler tube drivers do a pretty good AC/DC.

--Brad

8. Voxman

Voxman Moderator Staff Member

Seems like a lot of em do depending on your "touch" I guess........and how you hear that sound.