Help with neck sanding

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by ryl417, Jun 25, 2008.

1. ryl417

ryl417 Member

Hi all ETSG'ers

Did a search but couldn't find anything, anyways I have a Gibson SG w/ a baseball bat of a neck and can't quite get used to it, I was thinking of sanding it down to a slim tapered profile like those on a '61 reissue, this is my first 'hard mod', how should I go about doing this? I have no experience doing hard mods and there are few good shops in my country that does this :( Did some research on this as well but couldn't find like a step by step guide so any kind of help would be appreciated.

Thanks in adv.

2. Constellation80

Constellation80 Member

Trade it in for a 61 reissue

3. q-4000-SG Guy

q-4000-SG Guy New Member

get a sanding drum and go at it!!!! mod the FUC$#$ i love seeing SG's MODED ALL AGES if its a 61 and you dont like it MOD IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. ryl417

ryl417 Member

Constellation80: I don't want to trade it for a '61 Reissue, I love this guitar to death, it's a Jr.

q-4000-SG Guy: Er, yeah you're more excited than I am haha! I wasn't exactly good in Design & Technological Studies back in school, I've read online that this can be done with sand paper, any experience with this method?

5. Constellation80

Constellation80 Member

Well if your not good with woodworking, then don't do it !! you'll ruin your sg.
    not to mention, it's pretty tough to refinish it.
    the only thing id do, is buy a few cheap guitars and practice on them first.

but seriously.. you'll regret it...

6. q-4000-SG Guy

q-4000-SG Guy New Member

[quote author=ryl417 link=topic=17219.msg214327#msg214327 date=1214458156]
    Constellation80: I don't want to trade it for a '61 Reissue, I love this guitar to death, it's a Jr.

q-4000-SG Guy: Er, yeah you're more excited than I am haha! I wasn't exactly good in Design & Technological Studies back in school, I've read online that this can be done with sand paper, any experience with this method?
    [/quote]only on a 67 that eventualy wound up being smashed out of frustration ( dont worrie it was a POS anyway!!!)

7. MauritsP

MauritsP Member

Slimming down a neck would take a lot of sanding. You could approach it in the same way as actually carving a neck, using spokeshaves, draw-knives or planes. And like someone already mentioned matching the finish ain't gonna be easy.

8. Daniel

Daniel Active Member

and remember, carving a neck is a blend of art and science. it really isn't easy. make sure you practise loads before going at your SG. be sure to always work with grain in long strokes and remember that you need to sand it smooth too, so don't carve to where it's comfy and then start sanding as you'll only keep making thinner, so the profile would change again. I would also highly advise against q-4000's suggestion of using a drum sander as you'd most likely end up with a very lumpy neck.
    good luck!