Hendrix Signature Wah

Discussion in 'Effects' started by plankton, Nov 1, 2019.

1. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

When I got back into playing a few years ago, one of the first pedals I bought was a Crybaby Mini wah. It's fantastic, three switchable voices, true bypass, small pedal board friendly size and sounds great. I've been thinking about getting a second to use on another board with my other amp.

One of the full-size Hendrix Signature wahs, the JH1D, came up for sale locally, fairly cheap. My favourite setting on the mini wah is the low voice which apparently the same one as the Hendrix. I was concerned about this wah not being true bypass and having an input buffer though, as I use a few germanium fuzz and boost pedals.

But looking around I found this, http://stinkfoot.se/archives/546 , and knew I could make it work. The Hendrix wah already had the DPDT switch, so the mod cost me exactly zero dollars. It sounds great, but swept a little too low, so I readjusted the pot, like this,
    It sounds fantastic, really throaty and vocal, great fun with a fuzz and/or my Foxrox Octron3.

The Stinkfoot site has a few other great mods for the standard Crybaby GCB95. So if you need a wah and have some basic soldering skills, finding an inexpensive secondhand Crybaby might give you a lot more than you expected.

2. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

I moded my crybaby years ago. It was my first attempt at moding.

3. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Member

I had one I got for free from a buddy. I gave it back to him. Didn't even feel like it was worth modding for my tastes.