Here's your reward

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Biddlin, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

For several years now people on guitar fora have used Henry Juszkiewicz as their favorite knock down clown. Though they themselves have never gone all out to save a near dead iconic business, they have felt it their sacred duty to savage him and his brand with usually unfounded tales of poor quality control and complaints of overpricing. Any innovations that were not born in the 1950s or earlier were routinely and without due diligence shunned by the "traditionalists."
    Diversification into "lifestyle" brands was mocked as though no other corporation had ever done it before. At the end of the day, the jeerleaders won.
    Whatever one thinks of Henry's business model, he kept the brand alive and thriving, put out some great guitars and basses and had some fun.
    Now we will see the return of group think, much like the Norlin era. I predict that the new organization will be less successful than Norlin. "Group think" is usually not a good thing.
    A new CEO has apparently been appointed but has yet to be named; new board member Nat Zillkha, head of alternative credit at KKR and musician, is keen to reestablish Gibson’s position as a musical instrument manufacturer.

“For us, establishing the credibility that we intend to deliver is important,. “We are musicians. We care deeply about the brand and we are going to protect it.”
    Talk is cheap.
    But now all of you have your wish and let's see who is right about the direction the company will take. Hard to say since they won't even name the new ceo.

Corporal Scratchy likes this.
  2. deMelo

deMelo Well-Known Member

Hmmm... Me, I think it's a bit too soon to say anything.

You're not wrong when you say that group thinking isn't exactly what a musical instrument manufacturer needs, but I really don't think it's gonna get much worse than in the Norlin years.

Let's wait and see. You might be right on that one... Or you might not.

Fender is still doing fine, for instance.

3. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

They had to dig deep but they have just named the new CEO...

902224CD-F957-47E1-933A-B52B42CB64CC.jpeg

rotorhead likes this.
  4. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Active Member

I've stayed out of the trash talk about Gibson. By and large, I like their products, even when dealers in the know have to spec custom models to pull them back to their own standards. I, for one, highly respected what Henry accomplished pulling a run-into-the-ground company out of the mud and generating new respect.

I put my money where my mouth is, too, buying one guitar while they were in trouble and another that was built a month after the announcement. They both still smell new. I played 'em both today.

While I don't much care for the direction Henry veered off towards in the last few years, I'm glad to be able to, with some discernment, still get usable Gibson guitars. That is due to Henry's saving the company many years back.

Bob

Biddlin likes this.
  5. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Who is the new CEO I'm confused?

I am hoping that things roll in a positive direction here. I don't know much about Henry and decisions made by him what little I know it seems like he wanted a way of life type vibe. My guitar teacher ( who used to manage a store for GC ) blames GC for some of Gibsons problems.

Yeah the Gibson/Epiphone duo make a strong combination but it has to be difficult to try to figure out how to keep things rolling for both sides of the equation without actively impacting sales of the other side "too much" ...

6. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Why? Many manufacturers have different pricing and quality levels of their product for a century or more, i.e. Dodge/Chrysler Ford/Lincoln Fender/Squier etc. ad nauseum.