High performance pickgaurd

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by TylerChandler, Jun 13, 2018.

1. TylerChandler

TylerChandler New Member

Hello guys, I'm working on a 2017 sg HP, I've tried several pickgaurds but none of the full face standard batwing style pickgaurds fit the HP model. Not sure why there's a difference and obviously Gibson is zero help because I cannot buy one from them.

I built this guitar from scratch so it didn't have the original pickgaurd to begin with so for obvious reasons I don't even have a tracing and can't find one online either.

Basically the two holes by the neck don't match, the HP has two holes drilled closer together. Also the hole at the tip of the batwing doesn't match and the curve of the body is slightly different than the standard version. I could drill it of course but I'm really trying to refrain from doing that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Give me a sec and I'll load some photos of it...

Plan Zero likes this.
  2. TylerChandler

TylerChandler New Member

3. TylerChandler

TylerChandler New Member

4. TylerChandler

TylerChandler New Member

[​IMG]

I installed Gibson p94 humbuckers (soapbox style p90s) Grover tuners with tortoise buttons, old style speed knobs not pictured, and for that vintage touch I added Posi Lok strap buttons to match my Gibson victory artist bass. Hopefully you guys dig it so far! Thanks!!

5. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Welcome to the board! :smile:

2016 HP Batwing
    2017 HP Teardrop
    2018 HP no pickguard

What model SG is that you are using for your HP build?

6. SG standard

SG standard Well-Known Member

I guess it might be to do with the fast access heal - there certainly is a difference in those two screw positions, you can see it:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sorry, I can't help with sourcing one, or a template. Though Stratosphere do have a loaded pickguard for an HP, I doubt that's much help, and I can't see a non-loaded one there. :( Hope you get it sorted.

7. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

The guitar you are trying to build is an SG Faded 2017 HP.
    Part Number for the guard is 430-12740.

Make your own tracing from that guard with the correct hole placement for that body. You will probably need to tweak the tip of the batwing tracing so that when you position that screw hole on the tracing, it is visually centered with the tip.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  8. TylerChandler

TylerChandler New Member

Yes 2017 gibson sg HP worn cherry. The body came from stratosphere, I just assumed the standard batwing would fit so I bought that from him also. Looking through his sold listings he's only sold one hp pickgaurd, I missed it. Interesting enough he's sold 5-6 hps yet only one pickgaurd and the loaded pickgaurd that he has listed. I contacted them several times about it but their customer service is crap period dot. There's one other for sale by Gibson gear galore but I'm not dropping 85 bucks on his pickgaurd, that's plain highway robbery there.

9. TylerChandler

TylerChandler New Member

Nice to know the part number, just wish Gibson would help me with it but so far they want to tell me to go to all parts lol

10. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Well that makes sense... my previous post referred to the Standards

11. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

You could make it real simple by drilling those 3 little holes, that nobody but you will know about. Within a short time, you'll forget about them. You already drilled a bigger one on the horn for the strap button.

Biddlin likes this.
  12. TylerChandler

TylerChandler New Member

Actually I used the same screws from the original strap buttons so there was no drilling involved. I did drill holes for the tuners as it originally came with the computer junk so there was no set screw holes for the tuners. The major issue with the pickgaurd is the tip overhangs the angled body line. Looks good from a straight on stand point but it's a snag waiting to happen honestly. Wish it was just the two holes by the neck because I would be gravy!

13. DrBGood

Ah ... looking closer, I see it now.
    Since you're not going to use that pickguard, why don't you just modify the offensive tip like this ? No overhang. If you're not confident, have a luthier do it for you.

IMG_20180613_175829509+.jpg

14. Plan Zero

Plan Zero Active Member

Pickguard planet (Chandler guitars) is the best place to order custom pickguards from. Thousands of templates and materials and they will modify any of them upon request. I ordered mine without screw holes on my 71 since I wasn't taking a chance on the holes lining up. I also had to have a custom pickup cutout and kenny the tech from chandler actually called me to discuss my measurements and gave me a tip on how to align the screw holes. Top notch customer service.
    When I was restomodding my 71 EB-O no one had the proper pickguard and the pickguardian wouldn't make me one. Check out PP they have a buttload of SG templates. Personally I like solid black. Not a fan of the white line.
    Otherwise if the only thing bothering you is that tip do as the Dr. recommended and just shave it down with a dremel or take it to a luthier.
    https://www.pickguardplanet.com/sg-pickguards/
    Just be patient with their correspondence it can take several days to return your email.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  15. Daniel.S

Daniel.S Well-Known Member

Cut the top of the screw off and glue it to the pickguard so it looks like it's screwed in. :)

16. DrBGood

Or with Photoshop :rofl:

Plan Zero likes this.
  17. Plan Zero

Plan Zero Active Member

I'm just curious, you inferred that you didn't drill the horn for the strap button. Did this particular model have the button there in the first place? I've never seen that before.

18. Colnago

Colnago Member

The HPs are like this.

In Tampa likes this.
  19. TylerChandler

TylerChandler New Member

Yeah the HP's have the strap button located there from the factory, my tech thought it was strange also.

I did happen to catch stratosphere listing the right genuine pickgaurd so I snapped it up for 25 bux, score! I'll post some photos after I get it and have it set up. I had to get quick connections to hook up the p94's so if all goes well it will be finished next week sometime! Thanks guys!!

arcticsg likes this.
  20. JESUSG

JESUSG Member

Excellent idea.