High School.

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Logan, May 17, 2017.

1. Logan

Logan Active Member

We here have all been there or are there right now. It is such an odd period of our lives, right? As my freshman year comes to a close, looking back I can see so much has changed. I've got my driving permit now, which is crazy to me, but one thing that has remained constant throughout the entire year with girls coming and going, classes changing halfway through the year, and friends coming and going, is Guitar.

My freshman year was a wild, but fun, and sort of depressing, ride. For example, I had a sophomore girl who I was supposed to go to homecoming with but she stood me up, and then I ended up going with a different sophomore girl who then stood me up after the dance. And then my now ex (we hadn't dated before homecoming) started to get mad because she was getting less attention even though we were just friends at that time.

Then me and my ex started dating (which admittedly wasn't a good idea for many reasons), and then we formed a band, which is now breaking up since she broke up with me. So I went through my freshman year and got 2 guitars, 3 exes, and some great stories to tell, like me and my friends all piling into my new bass player's girlfriend's car at homecoming and going to Denny's at 11 and my other friend riding in the trunk :rofl:

Notes69 and Sp8ctre like this.
  2. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

I grew up in an impossibly small town 15 miles from a stoplight. I really didn't start dating until my Senior year and she lived in a town over 50 miles away......:D

Worked quite well actually...

We went to a lot of Pauly Shore movies.........

Maybe it was the same one.......

Notes69 and Logan like this.
  3. Kep

Kep Well-Known Member

Keep after it man. It sounds like you got a good head on your shoulders and if you remember that you wreap what you sow in your interactions with people some real good times lie ahead for you.

Notes69, Logan and Raiyn like this.
  4. Logan

Logan Active Member

Thanks. Sounds like I should keep doing what I have been, except maybe slow down on buying guitars...

:D

5. Sp8ctre

Sp8ctre Well-Known Member

Slow down on the girls...get the guitars while you can!

Chubbles, iblive, Logan and 1 other person like this.
  6. Notes69

Notes69 Active Member

Lol, it's so true!

That's good advice right there, Logan. Doesn't seem like you have trouble finding girls...and when your done playing around, you'll find one that's more than special.

And, all those guitars you collected during your journey, will remind you of certain times, and the different friends and experiences you had when you got them.

Yup we've been there too. Enjoy it while it's here. Rock on brother.

Sp8ctre and Logan like this.
  7. Kep

Kep Well-Known Member

I am old but i often jam with a group of 21-22 year olds which is fun as **** because they are really good but anyway last week one of them was thinking of getting a dog and his dad was trying to talk him out of it for mostly financial reasons but when he asked me I said : your never gonna be on your death bed wishing you didn't spend all that money on your pets.
    Same thing with guitars brother. I still play a Made in Korea Strat I bought on the 19% interest payment plan in 1986. Pretty sure I skipped a bunch of meals to make those payments. Zero regrets.

Sp8ctre and Logan like this.
  8. RedRiverII

RedRiverII Member

Good Luck Logan. I'm older as well. Grandfather old. I do somewhat remember high school, quit and joined the service, fast tracked to nowhere in particular. All good things come in time. Best advice was from Mental Health 101. Your rocking chair and old age. When you get there you better be able to tell yourself you lead a good life. It seems you're doing a good job at it. If you can somehow maintain even one constant throughout a lifetime, that's golden. I waited until 64 to pick up the guitar in earnest, I'm going to be pretty good at 104.

9. Scootermuppet

Scootermuppet Well-Known Member

Enjoy your younger years, age has a habit of creeping up on you and whacking you over the head before you realise it! :D I speak from experience :rolleyes:

And on this subject...

Once you get THE girl (or to be more precise, when she gets you...) she'll make sure you don't get any guitars :rofl:

DCCable likes this.
  10. Logan

Logan Active Member

Will do the what I've been doing! Marching band season is starting back up, and I'm excited :D
    Seems like that's working out good for you, because you have NGDs all the time :thumb:

If I can't get guitars, she can't get a new purse, shoes, etc. Because they are both things we will convince ourselves we "need":rofl:

11. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Ain't that the truth! I remember places or events like it was yesterday, when it was actually 20 years ago. That's a bit scary in some ways.

True, and yet not the whole picture. SWMBO is very supportive of my guitar hobby. Her only issue is that she'd like me to play better before I fill the spare room with guitars.
    I honestly think that's fair, especially since she's popping for lessons now that I've found an instructor.

Scootermuppet and Logan like this.
  12. Logan

Logan Active Member

Even now, I remember when I first started playing (which was 5 years ago) like it was yesterday. Even though I haven't been alive as long as you, that still happens to me because time flies dude.
    I'm lucky as well. My parents are super supportive of my hobby, otherwise I wouldn't have half the gear I have now :rofl:
    Half of my gear was birthday/Christmas presents, the other half I worked for them to pay for. The Firebird is the first one I'm paying for without their help, except for the fact that I have to pay through their name with the synchrony credit card they got specifically so I could pay for the firebird while I play it :D
    I can't thank them enough for all the support they have given me with my hobby :D

Scootermuppet and Raiyn like this.
  13. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

Likewise my better half.

Logan likes this.
  14. Scootermuppet

Scootermuppet Well-Known Member

If you think it flies now, just wait a few years :D

And yes, if you find the right one, they won't stop you enjoying things that give you pleasure - probably came across a bit 'bitter & twisted' there, I apologise :facepalm:

Logan likes this.
  15. Raiyn

Raiyn Well-Known Member

You ain't lying. I was working out my schedule and I reminded myself that SWMBO and I will have been together for 18 years come August...... :wow:

It doesn't feel like that much time has passed.....:shock:

Logan likes this.