Holy Crap! A 4 foot Cottonmouth!

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Tobacco Worm, May 18, 2014.

1. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Too much like man, huh? Raised in mud and filth?....yup, you guys are on to something.

I guess it's no coincidence cannibals refer to man as "long pig".

Cattle breeders have twisted bovine genetics for centuries, and yes the modern prize bull is as much a GMO product as Monsanto corn. Yes, the genetic alterations were done the old-fashioned Mendelian way with no gene splicing, just "animal husbandry".

There are natural breeds of cattle, but they are not the ones used for commercial milk production nor grown for meat, other altered human-made breeds are much more profitable to raise.

The Livestock Conservancy

Heritage Cattle

Evidently humans have been messing with cattle's genetics since the Neolithic era, so it's hard to say when and which cattle are a natural product. The bison indeed was, and still is pretty unspoiled, since no one has seen fit to improve on it much; all we had to do was not totally kill them off, which almost happened. They did try to mix cattle genes in after the 541-odd bison left alive were brought together, but the practice was abandoned. However the wiki article says that modern bison have only a small amount of cattle DNA left as a result:

"cattle DNA that has been measured in introgressed individuals and bison herds today is typically quite low, ranging from 0.56 to 1.8%"

Rusty Chops likes this.
  2. Susihukkanen

Susihukkanen Well-Known Member

Well done Wade! But actually when concidering the options of selecting a .22 revolver or a shot gun, I'd expect the shot gun be the first choice automatically. Except if you need to start searching ammo or like and the smaller one is immediately at use.

About the wild pigs, I have heard that here in Europe those wild pigs eat about 25% of animal based food. So dead deer, moose and such belongs to their menu. And that is why if you want to sell that meat here you need to test it for Trichinella spiralis. The same is with the bear meat.

Last edited: May 19, 2014
  3. Tobacco Worm

Tobacco Worm Well-Known Member

Yes sir, the .22 was the first thing I grabbed. It stayed loaded with two rounds of snakeshot and three of solid. Usually more than enough for our copperheads where one pop in the head with snakeshot does 'em in quite easily. That big cottonmouth was not going to go that easy. After the second shot in the head with the shotshell ammo, I was thinking "Ya didn't bring enough gun there Wade." :hmm:

Next time it's the shotgun all the way!:thumb:

Rusty Chops and Susihukkanen like this.
  4. Rusty Chops

Rusty Chops Member

Hmmmmm. :hmm:

5 rounds in a single action. Lemmee guess. Three screw Single-six with hammer on empty cylinder?

5. Tobacco Worm

Close, a Heritage Rough Rider 6 ½" with mag cylinder to match. Ain't as smooth as my old Colt Frontier Scout used to be, but it does well enough.:)

Rusty Chops likes this.
  6. LeadFinger

LeadFinger Well-Known Member

Here in California they'd probably jail you for shooting that damned thing. In fact, such a thing happened a few years back at one of the state parks.

Good shooting!

And your cat was ready to throw down; you can always tell when they get "helicopter ears."

Hope you have enough skin for a belt.

7. Tobacco Worm

I think everything in Calif is now illegal isn't it?

Oh man, I hate snakes beyond reason. I wouldn't have any snakeskin near me. I took that stinky thing, held away from me with a 5' T post, and went to the creek and tossed it toward his family. Let them bury him! :wave:

Funny thing is that I was talking to Bill today about it and he said that a couple days ago he smelled a faint dull skunk-like odor in his front yard. He said it didn't have that sharp stinging skunk smell, but was more musty smelling. Bill was raised in the city and didn't know what he was sniffing until I told him. There was dead silence on the phone for about half a minute.... I think he was trying to control his sphincter muscles. :ohno: Then I heard him call to his wife reporting this new found knowledge. I could hear her freak out in the background. I think Bill's gonna keep his shotgun loaded now and ready.

Alex_SG, dbb and LeadFinger like this.
  8. Rusty Chops

Rusty Chops Member

I've got a newer Single-six convertable (with the safety transfer bar).

The snakes around here all have lawyers!:wave:

They're in cahoots to make guns illegal.

Tobacco Worm and LeadFinger like this.
  9. LeadFinger

Here in LA, the snakes ARE lawyers, or agents. Or both.

10. Rusty Chops

Rusty Chops Member

One of the snakes (Yee) recently shot himself in the foot. I hope he does Federal time.

LeadFinger likes this.
  11. Tobacco Worm

After I retired from the PD I went to work at a law firm in Ft. Worth that had three lawyers and a fair staff of paralegals that were always busy. I was their investigator and stayed busy too. After a while it began to feel like I'd gone over to the dark side of the force. I spent nearly a third of a century putting criminals in jail and then these guys were fighting like hell to get them out...

I hadda leave, even if the dark side did have cookies!:laugh2:

LeadFinger and Rusty Chops like this.
  12. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Makes all the real water moccasins look like amateurs, huh?

I remember Louisiana politics....sheesh.

LeadFinger likes this.
  13. alans sg

alans sg Well-Known Member

Hi Wade , if you don't eat pork , you don't eat pork and that's fine with me :thumb: and i loved the buffalo v's bull story . over here there are pockets of wild boar dotted around the country , escapees at one point but they seem to be making a come back without too much help , cheers
    Alan

14. Tobacco Worm

Yeah Alan that's how they started to spread here in the U.S.
    Some time ago a guy imported some Russian/Austrian boar for enclosed fenced hunting. Big boars broke loose and mated with the escaped domestic hogs and voila! Instant super hogs from hell!:wow:
    Now their spread across the south has become near epidemic, and their numbers grow at an astonishing rate. They're destroying habitat that once supported native animals and are edging them out of their domain. We shoot them on site. Trap them like crazy. But they keep multiplying and grow larger every year. Countless acres of crops are destroyed by them and the economy is reflecting this as well. They cross roads and are hit by cars often injuring the people and at times killing them. The damage of hitting a 250 pound plus hog at highway speed is severe.

Was on a hunt for hogs about 30 miles west of here before I got in real bad shape. I killed five and the other hunters got nearly as many. One boar was far larger than the others. We loaded it into a pickup truck's bed and had to leave the tailgate down as it was too long to close it. Went to a weigh station and weighed the truck with the hog. Then unloaded it and weighed the truck again. It was 575 pounds lighter! Thank goodness we had that winch system on another truck as we could not lift it in and out of the truck without it. Talk about Jurassic Pork!

SG John, alans sg and Rusty Chops like this.
  15. Rusty Chops

Rusty Chops Member

A friend of mine used to hunt feral hogs here with dogs then kill them with a knife. He got 18 in one month at the height of his activities. Very much more restricted now.

He's part American Indian too.

They protect cougars here. Now they're over-running the place. Big pests is all they are.

16. LeadFinger

"They protect cougars here. Now they're over-running the place."

Oh, man, do they ever. Spas, Yoga, hundreds of plastic surgeons -- and the Internet hasn't helped.

SG John, Bullfrog and Rusty Chops like this.
  17. alans sg

alans sg Well-Known Member

575 pounds of porker , thats a lot of bacon , ham , belly pork ect ect and bugger hitting one of those in a car , even my Saab . there's an island about an hours drive from here with it's own population of wallabies , again escapees, i'm getting hungry :laugh2: cheers
    Alan

18. Rusty Chops

Rusty Chops Member

Like I said: pests!

Maybe that's sour grapes on my part. I'm too old and bald to be their targeted legal prey anymore.

LeadFinger likes this.
  19. Tobacco Worm

They're all varmints as far as I'm concerned.

And I hate varmints!
    [​IMG]

20. chilipeppermaniac

chilipeppermaniac Well-Known Member

Which brings me to one of my favorite "clean" jokes.

What does a cannibal that's late for dinner get?
    "The cold shoulder"

Rusty Chops and dbb like this.