Home Practice Amp

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by Roca, Mar 4, 2018.

1. Roca

Roca Active Member

What is your go to home practice amp? Mine is a Kustom kga10fx. I really enjoy the range. Post pics and some details please!

Attached Files:

2. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

Dont gotta be fancy, and it breaks up like a mutha..

image.jpeg

3. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

It depends what home is.
    Home with kids and wife will be something with headphone jack.
    Home with neighbours on the other side of the wall or ceiling, will be a small quiet amp.
    Home without much insulation and neighbour right across the fence, will be small wattage amp.
    Home with none of the above will leave the door wide open to whatever you like. That's me.

Green roof is where I live. So I usually play my Super Champ XD at around 8 through 2X12".

Vu-d'en-haut-grande-071004-.jpg

Col Mustard, cpower, Relic61 and 5 others like this.
  4. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

5. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

E0E55532-3ABF-4F5E-94FE-515756048608.jpeg Neighbors aren’t a problem. Closest is a couple hundred feet away with lots of trees between us. When home alone, Have a 5w Fender and 20w Traynor I’ll play thru.... as loud as I want.

When Mrs. IbLive is home I spare her the noise. Plug into an inexpensive multi effect box I have and play thru headphones.

6. kiko

kiko Active Member

Had one, traded it for other stuff. Thinking of getting another one, a very good practice amp!

Roca and cerebral gasket like this.
  7. Roca

Roca Active Member

I was actually going to get one of these the day I bought mine. They were out of stock and my amp was only 8 bucks more.

8. Norlin SG

Norlin SG Well-Known Member

One of these. Guitar Volume about 3, amp input 2. The most delicious clean you can imagine set on about 3 Volume, Bass 5, treble 8, 4 1/2 Reverb and 2 1/2 on intensity.........

If I want to bring it's fangs out, that would be a non practice situation.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  9. Roca

Roca Active Member

Nice! I like the dual input.

10. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

The only amp I own currently, my Laney Cub 12R, <1W input for quieter times (still pretty loud), 15W input for when no one else is home.

20180219_155428 (2) (800x800).jpg

I'm currently shopping around for a smaller practice amp for quiet/headphone practice.

cheshiergrin likes this.
  11. DrBGood

The Yamaha THR10 was the flavour of the month for a while, 4 years ago.

syscokid likes this.
  12. One-Wan

One-Wan Member

Dr Z Mini Z. 5watt, with an attenuator built in that takes it down to 1watt I believe. 1 EL84 and 1 12ax7, into a Celestion Gold Alnico 10" speaker. Its a little screamer. Quiet enough for practice on 1watt, loud enough to jam with a drummer and bass player at full power. Doesn't really do clean. Kinda like a Champ on steroids.

Cheers, Scott.

[​IMG]

cheshiergrin, ratsalad and Roca like this.
  13. drown

drown Well-Known Member

Mine is serving me well. Including for bass playing. I had some friends over yesterday, one played my gretsch through my Vox AC4, I played through my Friedman and another kept up on bass through the Yamaha. It's a very versatile little tool. I use it as an interface to record bass and guitar into my laptop. It sounds great through headphones with an independent volume knob so that you can protect your ears. I know other amps ( Boss Katanas in particular) can do this and more but I'm still enjoying the THR and it's the one amp I play 90% of the time when other people are home.

plankton likes this.
  14. Susihukkanen

Susihukkanen Well-Known Member

I just picked up today a second hand Orange Crush 35 RT. I need an inexpensive and easy to take along practice amp and this seem to fulfill my needs. Generally I prefer tube amps, but this time I wanted to have a SS so I don't need to worry if someone else use it and is not familiar with tube amp warm up things etc..

Roca likes this.
  15. DrBGood

Uh ? I'm supposed to warm up my tubes. They haven't protested up to now. Is this Voodoo stuff or what ?

16. Susihukkanen

Yes, I can recommend that. I have once blown my tubes by turning the power on, at the same the stanby switch to play position and straight away hitting a chord. BANG! and that blue smoke essential to keep inside electric devices escaped. That cost roughly 100 euros. After that I always turn power on first, then I arrange all the other gear ready (takes a couple of minutes) and only when ready I turn the standby switch to play position. I believe then the tubes are warmed up enough.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  17. Norlin SG

Norlin SG Well-Known Member

I'm in trouble I guess. My non re-issue PR will be 53 years old in April and does't even have a standby switch. So when is it going to start blowing up tubes?

Why would a person lend out an amp to someone that might destroy it, anyway? Something I think is so true. If you want to know how good a piece of equipment is, lend it out. If it's any good you will not ever see it again. Maybe that's what to OP is trying to avoid.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  18. Susihukkanen

I guess so. Obviously your PR is just about to notice that it is missing a standby switch and will soon blow the tubes..

19. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

These days I play my 10W 1965 Gibson Skylark at home, but I keep the volume pretty low (unless I'm at home alone, then I krank it at times).

[​IMG]

I still have my Vox AC4C1-BL, but it gets limited use these days. But I keep it in case one of my kids want to start playing and in case somebody wants to jam when they're here.

[​IMG]

20. DrBGood

About any day now. Better buy another right away and send me this one to dispose of it. Don't worry about shipping, it's on me.