How about the Samick Torino

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by 1Way, Jan 2, 2005.

1. 1Way

1Way Active Member

2. 1Way

1Way Active Member

Here's the TR2

[​IMG]

3. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

Oh now... its a Les-G!!!

4. hambucker

hambucker Member

EHHH, no thanks I'll stick with my Gibby. I run form the word Samick.

5. alazary

alazary Member

I never really like playing guitar copies...just doesn't feel right,

6. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

interesting styling nuances....don't really like it tho,...if your gonna copy it, copy it!

the second one is trying so hard to be a LP it's pathetic!!

7. 1Way

1Way Active Member

CharlieB,
    Ya, but you know what? That gorgeous curly maple top ,,,,,,,,,, is a photo! They call it a "High Tech" top. It's a picture of a AAAAA top! It's not real! What a screwed up deal that is!

All,
    I agree with you guys, and I'm still learning. There has to be a good reason why the long lasting original guitars do so well, ,,, most likely because they really are that good. I'd rather have something that is worth what you paid for it, and I'd rather have something that is really worth listening to, something sweet and cooking with fire.

But money is an issue. I'm pretty poor and am looking to get into the best guitar bang-for-the-buck I can get. At the same time, because this next guitar may be that one single lifelong main guitar, I require that it be the best guitar that I can (reasonably) afford.

The Gibson SG Standard is my choice so far, most likely a recent but used model, but I want to see if there is anything comparable from a different guitar maker at a more economical price point. I need to stretch that dollar as much as possible without being disappointed in the quality of the guitar.

8. skidshark

skidshark Active Member

i think you'll be stretching a bit much if you get a copy....

ibanez is pretty bad about doing those fake wood tops too, prolly standard in the low buck industry now....

9. Keithsauls

Keithsauls Member

yeah its a pretty common practice nowdays.theres a reason these guitars are 600$ and come with more ornate appointments than 2000$ guitars! its great if you are starting out though. i wish there had been decent quality "cheap" guitars around when i was starting out. as far as lifelong main guitars go though i would get better quality though.imo. the trendy designs you see today will soon be gone tommorrow. look at the pointy guitar fad of the 80s. but the classic designs the strats the teles,sgs,les pauls....those guitars are timeless and will be just as desireable 20 years from now as they were 20 years ago.

10. Keithsauls

Keithsauls Member

also 1 way in my opinion i dont believe there is another new guitar company that puts out the quality of gibson stuff........unless you look to prs or someone like that and then you really wont be saving money will you?i guess the old saying holds true "you get what you pay for"! i think you are on the right track in looking for a used gibson.that seems to be the most logical solution to your guitar dillemma.

11. dcooper

dcooper Member

you could look at an Orville by Gibson, Japenese made ,high quality. you see some on ebay once an awhile, though there not as commom as the Orville Les Paul Customs. there is a post here some where showing an Orville sg.

12. 1959burst

1959burst Active Member

oh no a Samwich! not bad for on a budget but no cigar when put beside the REAL thing.

13. hambucker

hambucker Member

The problem woth those Orvilles I've found is that it's really hard to find one tha'ts not coming out of Japan. Shipping usually runs past $100 if it's coming form there! Schecter makes some good low-end guitars. I feel more comfortable with the wood they put in there.

14. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

I have played a few Samick and have yet to play one that sounds good to me. To me (IMO) they just don't have the soul.

15. SG Lou

SG Lou Moderator Staff Member

Its not bad but, I'm more partial to their "Artist" series, which I don't even know if that line is still made. I got a "Artist series" 61 RI ( Identical to the Epi G-400 ) and after doing a few mods to it such as replacing the tuners,pots switch and pups, it has become my "Work Horse" Not a bad SG copy for the $285 I shelled out for it several years ago !

..Lou