How can I finish this?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Atmospherium, Sep 7, 2018.

1. Atmospherium

Atmospherium Member

Can you help me with ideas for finishing this one?

I’ve just got this Explorer body and neck. It’s come finished in a strong, smooth plasticky coating. I’m not sure if this is a filler, sealer, or whatever. As you can see in the pickup routs, the whole thing has been sprayed with a layer of this thick plasticky stuff, then sanded flat.

I usually like to finish my guitars with a few layers of Tru-Oil then polish with a buffing/polishing compound and wax, but what are my options here?

1, Could I use Tru-Oil on top of this as per usual?
    2, Could I use stain this surface, then wipe-on clear poly?
    3, Could I just buff/polish this surface as it is?

Many thanks

Attached Files:

2. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

Try #3. The finish that is on this guitar is more than likely some polyurethane. If you still don't like it after the polishing process, then you're going to have to think about removing the existing finish completely and start with raw wood.

3. Six Stringed Demon

Six Stringed Demon Active Member

Or you could use option 4...
    Get a Harbor Freight heat gun and a putty knife and strip it off to finish to your specifications.

I did my Epiphone SG in about 30-45 minutes.

syscokid likes this.
  4. Atmospherium

Atmospherium Member

I'm not planning on a mirror gloss finish, so I was leaning towards (possible tinted) wipe-on poly.

That said, this stuff appears to be some kind of poly, so I wonder if I might be able to get away with an acceptable satin sheen with some buffing compound. I'll give this a try first, then if not I'll do the wipe-on poly.

5. Atmospherium

Atmospherium Member

It appears the stuff is indeed poly. The maker (Chinese) tells me its the final coal, but it’s likely also a filler / sealer all in one.
    I’m going to see how it will buff up as it is, but I suspect I’ll have to finish it properly with clear wipe-on poly over it.

In the meantime I want to do the front of the headstock in black under the poly coats. Any ideas what I could use for this - a rattle can?