How do I change my name and privacy settings?

Discussion in 'Front Desk' started by Layne Matz, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Well-Known Member

Im being targeted by someone I know, but they hide their identity. The users name is Mixolydian spelled backwards. I dont see a reason for the deragatory message I recieved but it contained information that only someone who knew me personally could know. I dont care to be harrassed or cyber-stalked.

2. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

We-ell. Changing username, eh? :cool: Hehe, good luck on that, one, man. Took me only three months to have my "fullname-username" changed. :bowdown: But hey, "custom username" - how cool is that!:D
    (Seriously, man, I totally understand why you dont want your full name everywhere here)

Layne Matz likes this.
  3. Layne Matz

I hadnt realized it was the first thing that came up on google when you look up my name... Just a bit unsettling. How did you finally get it changed? Contact a mod about it?

4. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Yep, (sorry for not saying this in last post) you gotta contact Alex, a moderator:
    http://www.everythingsg.com/members/alex.1/

Good luck!
    Edit: not sure if that link helps. You gotta "Start a conversation" with Alex/send him a PM.

Layne Matz likes this.
  5. Layne Matz

Will do, thanks Ray!

Ray likes this.
  6. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

There are at least a couple of admins who should be able to delete accounts of people that are harassing you from this site. Geez what a loser to do something like that ...

Layne Matz and PixMix like this.
  7. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Word! Yeah, those losers ought to get their get accounts shut down or at least frozen for a while. Hrmf!

8. PeteR

PeteR Active Member

Mods can't do it

@Alex

the admin can do it

Layne Matz likes this.
  9. Layne Matz

Going to contact Alex and Voxman later about it, been busy today and havent gotten around to it quite yet. I love the community here and I dont want to get caught up in harassment cases or banning so I'll try to do things officially and responsibly.

10. Layne Matz

Thanks for the advice everyone, Im always glad to hear multuple views on things. There always seems to be someone with some good info on here no matter the subject- I really like that.

Ray likes this.
  11. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

How about "people you ignore"? Would that block messages?

12. Layne Matz

I'd prefer if my Everything SG posts werent the first thing that comes up when someone googles my name which is what is currently happening. I was unaware of this, but should have thought of it. Id rather everyone who knows my name not have access to so many details regarding my gear, especially if they know me in person and hold some kind of grudge against me. They very well could know where I live. I dont have many enemies but the few I do have aren't people I want to be involved with.

13. Alex

Alex Administrator Staff Member

The user in question was banned permanently.

Thanks.

PeteR, Ray and Layne Matz like this.
  14. Layne Matz

Thank you! Much appreciated! Ive been busy, havent had a chance to message in depth yet. I would like to change my username however, just so it isnt the first thing that pops up when my name is googled.

15. Chubbles

I understand now. In this world, there is a need for privacy. I'm lucky. I've always had nicknames throughout my life. Chubbles was a college nickname. In Penn State, we had many dorm parties. I never really drank beer in quantity. During my first kegger, I drank 5 large beers in about 15 minutes. I tried to introduce myself and slurred my name. They heard "chubbles" (rhymes with troubles). From then one, many people didn't know my real name. It's been that way all my life. Nicknames stick.

When I click my name at the top right, under Privacy, there is something at the bottom. I have no idea what it is. You can switch it to members only:
    • View your identities:

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Layne Matz likes this.
  16. Layne Matz

Much appreciated, I'll inspect that function now. I had looked for a privacy tab a bit before posting but I definitely could have missed it. People have been forgetting or mispronouncing my name as long as I can remember. None of the nicknames I got made me feel too good about myself so I hsut stuck with my name, which is somewhat abnormal. My mother named me Layne after Layne Staley of Alice in Chains, not much of a story there. You wouldn't by chance know a guy that goes by the nickname of Chuckles would ya?

Ray and Chubbles like this.
  17. Chubbles

No, but I've had much worse nicknames.

Layne Matz likes this.
  18. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Aaaaaawrite! Thats unbelievably cool! Saw Layne and Alice In Chains in Oslo on the "Dirt"tour. Great gig that was ... IMO Layne Staley was one of the best singers (and songwriters) - all time!

19. Layne Matz

I havent ever been into his stuff as much as I should. Part of its my addiction to much older music(jazz and blues in particular), part of its probably distancing myself from my parents. I'll pull a few albums out and listen them- I certainly havent heard near all of it.

We have a massive collection of vinyl and practically all other forms of music and its been incredibly useful to me. If I hadn't started listening to vinyl I might never have never gotten so emotionally invested in music or picked up an instrument. I messed around on my SG bass for a long time before switching to acoustic guitar and eventually adding electric to the mix. My father hasnt been around for a long time but he has been a singer, songwriter, lead guitarist, frontman off and on for years with different heavy rock/metal and alternative bands. Most notably We are Radio and Portrait of Anger- im not really a fan but i can appreciate it.

My mother has been an independant* live music photographer for nearly 15 uears now and she has become very successful without involcing herself with any company or corporation which is much easier siad than done. Tons of her work can be seen on Google if you look up Jessie Matz, or Jessie Matz Music. She has photographed literally cpuntless musicians newest and the oldest, poorest and the richest. She often does free photos for smaller bands and helps with their publicity, to help get them going. I'm lucky enough to have the parents I do, with all the good and bad that brings.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    Ray likes this.
  20. Layne Matz

Definitely, I remembered a guitarist freind of my mothers from years ago who went by Chuckles and it would have been quite a coincidence if it was you, no harm no foul. I assume your name is Charles?

Chubbles likes this.