How do I change my name and privacy settings?

Discussion in 'Front Desk' started by Layne Matz, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

With that background it sounds like you were born with plenty of music interest in your blood!
    And distancing oneself musically from parents seems to be inevitable when growing up- and its also healthy IMO, he he. And a massive vinyl collection ... thats pure gold! Listening to different kinds of music is never wrong. Myself, I dig a lot of different stuff ... Cool to hear your mom is a successfull photographer! Will look her up to see her works! Cool stuff indeed...
    I believe you play slide as well, so I wonder if you are familiar with the late, great slide-ace/songwriter-ace Chris Whitley? If not, check him out. "Living with the law" ,his debut is IMO the most underrated album ever ...

2. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Thanks Layne for sharing that i would have missed how you obtained your name.

I missed a lot of the early Alice in Chains stuff. Too many good bands and well I was probably stuck listening to my 60/70s even 80s. That changed with their semi recent album Devil Put Dinosaurs Here it's a sonic masterpiece.

The power of google in searching names is scary at times. You won't find me easily though there's apparently a couple of pretty famous John Hurley people. Not any close relations to me however.

Here's ( not me ) John Hurley doing Danny Boy and doing a damn nice job of it.

Layne Matz likes this.
  3. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

Quote:
    Definitely, I remembered a guitarist freind of my mothers from years ago who went by Chuckles and it would have been quite a coincidence if it was you, no harm no foul. I assume your name is Charles?

No, Joel. I must have been really drunk. Lol!

Ray, Layne Matz and arcticsg like this.
  4. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Well-Known Member

Havent heard of him but I'm open to new music, especially if there's slide involved. I'll be sure to listen to that album, probably have to use YouTube or something- I dont think we have that one. I play slide but it feels like slacking off to me a lot of the time, I started with slide before ever playing fingerstyle and that is what feels most natural to me. At times it requires next to no effort but that being said there are times when Im not feeling it and need to play fingerstyle instead.

I can definitely empathize with that, since ivw been caught in that era and earlier ones for the last 4 years. Im a little worried something great might pass me by but i listened to commercial radio for years bwfore i got really into music and i know from experience that there is good stuff but its differwnt and not exactly what i care to hear. Gary Clarke Jr. Is a great guitarist but doesnt inspire me in the slightest compared to all the excellent classic rock and various old music I've listened to. I'm heavily versed in the original blues, jazz, and folk that inspired the whole 60s and 70s blues/psychedelic/folk/jazz rock movement. Maybe this is the wrong way to put it but a lot of (young)musicians I've met cant seem to tell "sh*t from shinola" as the saying goes whcih makes it difficult being a purist of sorts. Ill add that album to my list of new stuff to listen too, feel free to send me recommendations anytime.
    Thats funny! Personally I try to stay sober unless I'm in the safety of my own (my moms)home. Too many dangerous drugs going around, too many people spiking drinks, etc. Ive played 10 house parties give or take depending on your definition but I never trust any of the drinks Im offered. This is a college town, in the deep south... Opiods, amphetamines, and racism are abundant so being a minimalist, naturalist, and permaculturist I steer clear.

Ray likes this.
  5. Layne Matz

My Dad always told us "The Arts are in your blood and its got to come out sooner or later" I used to resist that, but later accepted it. There is a lyric in Stairway that really sums it up "Your head is humming and it wont go, in case you dont know. The pipers calling you to join him..." Music hypnotized me and now I cannot escape it, nor do I want to. Im the oldest of 7, my father has 4 kids and my mother 3. All half siblings but raised together off and on" it led to a strange upbringing. My oldest sister is a year younger than I, and she has a ton of stuff recorded on sound cloud. She doesnt gig or play with others much but she is very prolific and has been since she was younger. Her music is not at all up my alley but the quality and her effort is great nonetheless. Her soundcloud is here if anyone ia curious, again it isnt my style or type of music at all but Im very proud of her:
    https://m.soundcloud.com/brynnbrynnbrynn

She uses a fender standard strat through a fender frontman 25r, and occasionally borrows her uncles 52' Les Paul custom shop for recording- in case anyone was curious.

Edit: She definitely knows way more chords than I do, and uses them better too!!!

Ray likes this.
  6. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Heavily into those who inspired all those great 60s, 70s artist? Yeah! Son House was an awesome blues pioneer ... Charlie Patton..Bo Diddley ... Lightning Hopkins! thats one impossible guy to follow and play along with (regarding his counting, ha ha!) ... My fave of those oldies is probably Elmore James. His "The sky is crying" gave me chills when I was 16 and still do..... I love Muddy Waters, especially when playing with late, great slide-genius Johnny Winter. I really recommend the the 'semi-biography' on Winter' that came out a few yrs ago. "Raising Cane" is the name of the book. Awesome read.. Blues Is All, man!:D

Layne Matz likes this.
  7. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Cool. Will check her music out! :)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  8. Layne Matz

You are preachin to the choir!!! Son house was my first go to for learning along with Muddy and Johnny winter to some degree, then RJ and Patton. Elmore James and Leadbelly soone after. I know I'm forgetting a bunch... But thats becuase the list of inspirations goes on nearly forever. I studied all theze artists recordings over and over again for a few years on end- I also droped put of highchool in the proccess but that definitely freed up my time. Sorry if my posts are overlapping with yours! Will check out that biography, johnny winters solo on "Cant be Satisfied" off Muddys Hard Again album was a pinnacle of my practice for a long time, after i got comfortable with son house and robert johnson stuff. Still cant play anything like Patton or Leadbelly. I hope Fred McDowell doesnt mind me playing so many of his songs, they are some of my favorite to play live.

Ray likes this.
  9. Layne Matz

Thats one of the most important parts of learning these old songs, and slide guitar. I wouldnt have good rythm and timing if I hadnt learned how to play so many solo acoustic blues songs. Im forever thankful to all the bluesmen and women for it too, when I come across other guitarists and bassist many of them cant or wont even try to play without a steady drummer and or click track -which I dont allow in my bands. I never intended for them to be 'mine' but the drummers and bassists neber wanted to be the frontman, sing or play solos.

Ray likes this.
  10. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

I'm really looking forward to hearing you play slide some day I gotta say!:)

11. Layne Matz

I'll get some recordings up sooner or later! The one time posted a recording on here last year it was after getting my hand shut in a car door and had two usable fingers on my left hand. No one responded. Also it was of horrible quality becuase I used my cell phone mic and had set it in front of my amp which made it sound aweful. Somewhere along the line I learned that even big mistakes are just a part of it and have to be taken with everything else. To be able to seriously f*ck up and still pull it together and make it entertaining is an art in and of itself.

I have two old recordings on sound cloud, they were recoeded about 8 months before they got posted. I never cared to sit around trying to get good recordings, i cant afford that equipment and i keep having band problems. I currently have no band due to my ex bassist being a racists alcoholic.

12. Layne Matz

Heres a link
    https://m.soundcloud.com/layne-matz-139512764

I personally dont like the one song i have in there with slide, its probably the one song of mine i hate the most becuase i came up with it while tryign to get the sound i wanted buy never could quite get right - it was also about 5am and I ran out of bourbon. I gave up and just moved on. I have been learning more recently how to play less traditional blues style slide. Its hard to apply the basic blues slide techinques to songs in any key reather than a few. I accepted long ago that I'm going to just have to learn a ton of tunigns which i have done and continue to. Being 19, im very hopeful for the future. I live in Nashville for 4 years and now I'm in the middle of nowhere, i know what a good music scene is like but I cant find good musicians around here. The thing holding me back the most is that i cant sing and play at the same time, I cant seem to divide my attention that much- so i depend on a rythm section.

P.S. the other song was recorded on my SG, it was for a good friend of mine who commited suicide when I was younger. I still dont know how to accept the loss, I saw her at school before we went on holiday and I got the news just before school started again. It was an open casket native American funeral, a very memorable experience.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  13. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Just got some real bad news so God help me... I'm really depressed right now... my life is a fu*kin constant struggle and I'm so fu*kin sick of people and authorities doing all they can to stop me from a having a 'normal' life.
    Too bad the sky aint crying cause Im on brink now and it would be great camoflage...
    Man, I dont know what Im gonna do.

14. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Sorry. This is no serious health issues with family or close ones... Just pretty bad job news. Just so you know...

Layne Matz likes this.
  15. Layne Matz

Do whatever you need to do to get by. Dont let things control you.