how do you learn a new song

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by walter19882003, Apr 30, 2007.

1. walter19882003

walter19882003 Member

hey, been thinking about this for a while now, well the way i learn is by playing a bar of a song over and over again until i memorise it i cant learn parts of a solo without going over them like 20 times then again the next day or ill forget

so what im asking is are there any techniques that help with memorising songs.

or anything in general in fact lol
    :D

2. Laney1566

Laney1566 Member

Re: how do you lean a new song

Become soooooooo familiar with the song that it is instilled in your soul.....Imagine yourself playing the song before ever touching the guitar. Depending on how long you have been playing, this gets easier over time. It is possible to figure a song out 90 to 95% before ever picking up a guitar.
    Seriously.
    Main thing is you are familiar with your guitar and the sounds it makes and the way to get those sounds out of it.
    The only thing I would suggest is learn the rythm part first.
    Sorry I know of no short-cuts.
    Seems to me if you can learn leads and rythm after only 20 plays, then you aren't doing too badly. ;)

3. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Something else that helps is knowing progressions and the sound that chord combinations make. Half of the songs my partner and I do are songs we've heard and someone suggests at a show. If they go over pretty well, we keep them. I not, then we work on those a little more.

I had always wanted to do "Kryptonite" but kept forgetting to plug it into a set. At one show someone asked for it and we did it. Some of the best arraignments come when you're on the spot..........

If you can't do the "on the spot" method, then play it until you're total sick of it....... and then you'll be ready to do it out.

4. Pickngrin

Pickngrin Member

Easy songs I can just play by ear. Others I will start by searching the Internet for tabs. Even with a tab, I often have to complete the song and fill in missing gaps by ear.
    Then its practice -repetition my friend! 8)

I do not memorize or copy other people's solos though...which I sensed you may have been implying...I improvise! Learn how to cut your own solos and then you can get "the feel" of the recorded song's solo close enough that it works well, and some people even respect it more!

5. oldrockfan

oldrockfan Well-Known Member

I don't think there are serious tricks to learning songs. It comes down to repeating it over and over until you can do it without thinking. I have found that songs I really like to listen to are easier to memorize though. Might be something to that.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  6. Pain

Pain New Member

I put songs I'm learning onto a cd so I can listen to them when I'm driving.
    You can use various programs to isolate parts of a song (solos) and slow them down tremendous amounts while maintaining the original pitch.

7. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

first of all walter quit licking the screen

yuk

like we often end up 'determining' as we learn songs in my disfunctioning band, we are 'interpreting' the song as opposed to learning it note by note. its the essence of the song... your individual take on it...

then we drink and move on

8. swlabr67

swlabr67 Member

i just figure out the key and pretty much play it, picking it up by ear.. if its easy enough i can make it through and have it figured out first try.

you just gotta keep developing your ear until its really good and you can just listen and know how to play it and where the next notes or chords are gonna go.

9. SG dan

SG dan Active Member

I find that when learning a classic solo, i need to have the song playing first so that i can connect the tabs on the page to the music going into my ears.

10. vkgphil

vkgphil Active Member

[quote author=SG dan link=topic=13427.msg174799#msg174799 date=1178489292]
    I find that when learning a classic solo, i need to have the song playing first [size=10pt][size=10pt]so that i can connect the tabs [/size] [/size] on the page to the music going into my ears.
    [/quote]

aint that the truth

tabs are somewhat useful but they sure aint the gospel

11. boogie1

boogie1 New Member

First of all, don't rely to much or at all on online tabs. Most of it is wrong and inaccurate. Don't forget a lot of bands use alternate tunings, like Drop D, E flat, etc. Play along to CDs. Get yourself a Tascam CD-GTImkII guitar trainer. Using this it will allow you to record segments and loop it to figure out chords, licks and solos. Do a small piece at a time till you get it. Repetition is the key to memorizing it. Go on You Tube and watch instructionals for songs. You can put in key words like "Nuthin' but a good time solo" and you will come across vids like this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYY4CKBERgs

Note about the You Tube vids: For every great one like the link above, there are ten amateurs doing the same thing that really SUCK! Find the good ones and learn from them!

12. MGrd

MGrd Member

[quote author=walter19882003 link=topic=13427.msg173988#msg173988 date=1177929877]
    [...]
    i cant learn parts of a solo without going over them like 20 times then again the next day or ill forget
    [/quote]

I've read that the learning theory states, you have to loop over whatever 15-20 times.
    After that repeat this 3 times at this day.
    It's said it doesn't help to loop over 100 times (ie. more than 15-20).
    Also repeating at least 3 times a day is mandatory.
    I forgot how many days you have to repeat it.

But as I said, I just read it somewhere in a guitar learning book...

13. tonejunkie

tonejunkie New Member

[quote author=walter19882003 link=topic=13427.msg173988#msg173988 date=1177929877]
    hey, been thinking about this for a while now, well the way i learn is by playing a bar of a song over and over again until i memorise it i cant learn parts of a solo without going over them like 20 times then again the next day or ill forget

so what im asking is are there any techniques that help with memorising songs.

or anything in general in fact lol
    :D
    [/quote]

i always try not to look at the guitar while playing it.
    so... first just play the part you find hard. while looking at the guitar and then without looking at the guitar. then play it again while looking at the guitar and then again with without looking at the guitar
    keep repeating this and you might learn it faster
    it works well for me

14. Sgfreak101

Sgfreak101 Member

I just keep playing the song over, and over again until I get it right!

Tah-lee likes this.
  15. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

I. Listen to the song...a lot. As said try to figure out things on that imaginary guitar in your head.

2. Start to play along; find the tonal center, chord pattern, riffs, etc. Lots of trial and error, but this is ear training and the more you do this the better you get.

3. Write it down if it is a difficult piece. Use whatever notation you can. I use staff, most younger players are familiar with tab now.

See what you can do without the recording, you'll see what you need to work on more.

4. As for solos, just go lick by lick, measure by measure.

5. If there's one lick that hangs you up, go on and get the rest of the song, then go back and work on any rough spots. Also using software that can slow a part down at pitch is useful for very fast lines.

As said, the more you know of scales, chord progressions, etc. the easier it is to learn tunes.

What sometimes hangs me up are those oddball things guitarists do...open tunings, lower tunings, some totally new fingering trick. Sometimes takes time to figure out those things.

16. Jeba

Jeba Member

I play mostly AC/DC and some classic rock. At first i listen to the song and try to play along without any tabs. I usually don't get all of the parts figured out so that's when i use tabs. I can learn some shorter solos pretty easy if i rewind the song and cheking if i'm playing it right. It takes way too long for me to learn songs, but i guess i'll learn :)

17. mdubya

mdubya Well-Known Member

I like to look at videos of the original artist to see in which position they play certain parts. Some of the most invaluable knowledge I got was from Guitar Player and Guitar World with the actual musicians showing how and where they play specific parts. Angus Young and Tony Iommi interviews and lessons were awesome and they played parts much more simply and different from the tab books that I had.

Angus and Malcolm showing the AC/DC way to play G and C chords will make you sound like AC/DC every time! I can play a normal open C, but I can't play a traditional G to save my life. ;D The AC/DC way:

G

---3---
    ---3---
    ---0---
    ---0---
    --x----
    ---3---

C

---3---
    ---3---
    ---0---
    ---0---
    ---3---
    ---x---

The worst is when an artist tunes down half a step and the "teacher" transcribes in standard tuning. It is much more important to me to play a song in the correct position. Ever read ridiculous transcriptions in Ab or Eb? For shame and all but worthless. :)

18. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

Man, you're right! video can help a lot. I forgot to mention that, old fossil that I am.

19. uyasgali

uyasgali Member

I usually learn something new by...um...accident. :)

20. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

[quote author=uyasgali link=topic=13427.msg245372#msg245372 date=1264808888]
    I usually learn something new by...um...accident. :)
    [/quote]

That's also a good way to write a new tune!