How do you practice?

Discussion in 'Lessons & Techniques' started by Madmatt, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Madmatt

Madmatt Active Member

The question is, how much do you practice? And what do you do with your practice time? Anything you found to be very effective/ineffective?

I'm both curious, and wondering about things that other people find usefull I may not have heard of.

I try and practice more then 15 mins every day (a goal I haven't quite been hitting recently), and do a combination of learning songs, and (primarily left hand) drills.

2. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

I don't really know how much, but probably on average at least half an hour every day. It depends if my wife and kids are home or not...

Lately I've been working on slide guitar and on jazz blues chord progressions and very simple jazz soloing.

I've also practiced my vibrato a lot, and worked on different ways of acheiving the vibrato I want.

I find repetition of the same drills/licks/chord changes quite boring, but really very effective.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  3. zisme

zisme Well-Known Member

i normally practice with my band twice a week, 3-4 hours each session. half the time is dedicated to rehearsing a set, maybe more if we have a gig coming up. the other half to writing new songs or learning new covers.

at home it's hard to say how much time i spend playing. not much. some days not at all. when i do it's usually just noodling or learning a song the band wants to cover. occasionally when i feel inspired to write, i'll make scratch recordings of riffs and whatnot and send them to my bandmates to see what they think. when i do plug in, i'll usually spend at least a half hour playing.

so maybe 10 hrs. in a good week?

i've just started to take bass seriously so i'm playing it more often at home - mostly just learning how to play songs i like. rocksmith on the xbox is fun too

4. donepearce

donepearce Well-Known Member

London, helping a friend design a knitting machine
    I divide my practice pretty much 50/50 between technique and tunes. And I find that they sort of feed into each other.

5. frankd

frankd Well-Known Member

My practice time Monday thru thurs is usualy 15 minimal 60 minutes max but fri night thru sunday
    is when I have the spare time to play a couple hrs . I practice trying to learn new songs and certain riffs.
    and sometimes just freestyle playing.

6. Dave_Death

Dave_Death Well-Known Member

I practice the songs I've already learned, some covers I've been trying to learn (sometimes just individual riffs) and do a lot of free style playing because at the moment I am trying to write songs for a new band. Some days I don't get around to practicing but when I do it's usually an hour or two. Also I have two bands at the moment so I probably do four hours of band practice each week on average these days

Oh and I probably do four or five hours on the bass each week on average. Sometimes just before I go to bed. Sometimes I write songs on it.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  7. Paully

Paully Active Member

Usually
    Thurs-Tues 20 min single note exercises
    1/2 hour open chord exercises
    15 minutes on a song

8. xland

xland Member

I'm still a relative newbie (started playing 18 months ago) so I practice 5 or 6 days a week for about 90 minutes per session. It's split between scales, work on new chords and switching between them and then finish up with working on songs and/or improvise some simple solos. I follow Justinguitar.com's course material and I just finished up his intermediate course series and now I've started on the Blues rhythm series. As far as songs go, I'm learning beginner/intermediate songs, nothing too fancy but easily recognizable and fun to play. I still stumble through some of them but I'm slowly getting better. I actually enjoy practicing, I know that I'm not going to get better just wishing I was better.

Kep, @tommypistolen and Dave_Death like this.
  9. @tommypistolen

@tommypistolen Member

Interesting tread.
    I play minimum 20-30 minutes a day. Usually an hour or two. Twice a week I rehears/jam with band/friends. For about three hours.
    I try to learn something new everyday. A scale, chord progression, riff, lick, alternative tunings, fingerpicking pattern etc. after I learned the thing I'll jam around it and change it till I got the thing in my own bag of tricks.
    For me this made it fun and challenging to play every day...

10. Madmatt

Madmatt Active Member

Lots of good responses here! cool to see what you guys are all doing!

11. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

I read this site and buy new pedals.

Gahr likes this.
  12. dbb

dbb Well-Known Member

My current practice routine:

find time
    get out some guitar book
    practice sight-reading and stuff that I don't normally play
    go back to working on music production

I used to spend a lot more time on stuff like classical guitar, etc. Not so much at the moment.

13. Doodoo Meister

Doodoo Meister Member

I always practice with a metronome on. 30-60 minutes of rythm, 20 minutes of zig zag scales across the entire fretboard, 30-60 minutes of improv over a blues backing track. I try to practice at least 5 times a week.

14. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

I dont.........therefore I suck.......its a viscous cycle

15. lineboat

lineboat Well-Known Member

I warm my hands up every day with some simple familiar stuff, then spend 10-15 minutes learning part of a new song or riff. I'll stick with the same notes or chords until it's smooth or right, if it takes a week. Right now it's some old school Candlebox!

16. ptrnyc

ptrnyc Member

I follow the practice schedule from justinguitar. I work from home so I have plenty of time, when I wait for the computer to build something, I grab the guitar and practice chord changes, or something.
    Then I play Rocksmith just for fun, maybe 1 hr every night.

17. SG John

SG John Well-Known Member

When I find time, I spend about 10-15 minutes playing scales or doing finger exercises to warm up.

Then I'll spend a few minutes on some old lessons or something new.

Then, go through some of the set list so I'm ready for group rehearsal.

Work on writing new stuff. This takes up most of the time I allot for playing. I'll have various arpeggio, chord, theory, riffs, or other reference books out along with my notebooks. I'll work on finding things to spice up the songs to try to make them interesting. I usually also have a thesaurus and dictionary hanging around. More page turning will be done than actual playing, but it still stimulates the correct parts of my brain.

Sometimes, I'll play along with stuff on Youtube to learn some new songs or ideas.

Kep likes this.
  18. RVA

RVA Well-Known Member

My practice has lacked direction lately. Yesterday I was in a local shop and I heard some very impressive playing, so I asked the shop owner who it was. Turns out it was a local instructor who makes house calls. I will be starting lessons next weekend to try to improve my technique and solidify some of my scattered knowledge.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    eS.G. likes this.
  19. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Practice is a strange beast. I think it will directly depend on your goals. First starting in 1957, i would practice 2-4 hours (if not more) everyday I was able to and did this for 8 years. In 1965, my first band practiced 2-3 hours a time, 3-4 times a week. I would still do the personal practice 1-2 hours a day. Later, other bands over the years required 2-4 hours, 6 days a week. others 2 days a week, 4 hours a practice. My personal practice seemed to diminish to maybe once a week depending on new material being done. My practice now seems to be more to keep my fingers in shape and from hurting from the arthritis I know is slowly creeping into my playing. Fortunately, it has only slowed my playing down rather then cause the pain that can be involved. I think I am lucky because maybe it has been my "practicing" that has helped delay the inevitable.

I think that my current practice time is to keep my callouses on the end of my figures. Learning new stuff is less of a demand on my time because I am at a point where I love what I play and how I play it. Something new comes along, I listen to it and mentally work it out to play it. (Understanding Progression relationships is outstanding!)

From time to time, I will hear a song that really motivates me and I will pick up my guitar and play it. The practice I enjoy the most is the JAM! :thumb:

20. EPOCH6

EPOCH6 Member

I took paid weekly lessons from a local instructor for 7 years, one of the greatest teachers I've had in my life, in any discipline. That massively accelerated the learning process and pretty much set me up to move forward on my own and at my own pace. These days I've been focusing more on fingerstyle blues than anything else and that's something I never learned in my years of paid lessons, so I've been sort drudging through it with YouTube lessons, but it's actually coming along very well, there are some great free instructors on YouTube.

This guy is probably my favorite right now. Relaxed and very well laid out lessons, very consistent teaching formula that jives with me quite well.