How does the newest Standard compare..

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Gnairn23, Jan 16, 2020.

1. Gnairn23

Gnairn23 Active Member

Biddlin likes this.
  2. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

Everyone is different, but I like: the colours, the neck carve, the batwing, the neck pickup, the quality seems good.

Not so fond of: the tuners, the bridge pickup. It seems a tad expensive considering they've saved money on the case; I'd wait and be very happy to buy one in the sale for 150-200 pounds less.

It's a very good SG standard. I have no problem with the gigbag, as a Gator or SKB case is preferable to the Gibson case, imho. I personally prefer it to the 2018s and 2017s which were both excellent guitars too, but really love the 2016s.

They are all good guitars, just comes down to small preferences, imho.

cerebral gasket and Biddlin like this.
  3. Gnairn23

Gnairn23 Active Member

Thanks for the comment.
    Yeah that's what I done, bought a Gator case with the SG and so it all worked out.
    It's nice to know you think it's a good guitar.
    I'd be especially interested in how it compare to the 2018 SG with it's thicker neck and smaller pickguard...

Biddlin likes this.
  4. Bettyboo

Best to get to a shop and try them both out. You can look at videos and share opinions all day long, but until you get them in your hand and play you'll never know which one clicks for you. They're both good guitars.

5. Gnairn23

Gnairn23 Active Member

I have played both, I enjoyed the thicker neck on the 2019 more but the 2018 was great to and came with nice hard case.
    The pick ups also varied between the two, I like the attack of the 490's

I was just interested to hear other people's opinions.

Biddlin and Bettyboo like this.
  6. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

7. Derald

Derald Member

I had a brand new 2019 late model SG Standard. I didn’t like the neck it was pretty thick. About the thickness of a 50’s Tribute SG. I liked my 2018 SG Standard better because of the slim taper neck.
    Otherwise the newest SG was pretty good. The 2018’s however came with the Gibson 61 pickups and locking tuners.

Bettyboo likes this.
  8. Bettyboo

They are certainly two good points, imho too. If you're gonna put Grovers on an SG standard then they might as well be locking Grovers.

9. Weaselcoon

Weaselcoon New Member

FWIW, I've had two 2019 Standards. They were two pretty different feeling guitars. The first one had a slimmer neck than the second one. Not that it was skinny per se, jus that the second one has a fairly fat neck. Also think the second one sounds more lively (especially unplugged) for whatever reason. So there is definitely variations within the same model years.

Bettyboo and PermissionToLand like this.
  10. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Anyone who tries to tell you "X model year is bad and X model year is good".... is full of - let's say Malarkey.

11. slowhand

slowhand New Member

Seems like there is still some mystery to the neck carves at the Gibson factory. They must do it by feel rather than machine them all out the same.
    That said, I went in thinking I was going to buy an original line standard, I just don’t like the batwing.
    But I picked up the ebony modern line standard and was very very impressed and surprisingly dissapointed in the 61 standard.

To my ear the 490s are PAFs with a little extra and 4 conductors. I was impressed, and even surprised because of all the posts online complaining. In reality these 490s have done duty on SGs and Les Pauls up to the Custom shop level since the 70s and most people don’t change them. And IMO they don’t need to be changed unless you are doing very bassey Jazz, and even then, I’d question why you’d spend $200 to $400.

I loved the standard. I loved the modern even more. You’ll be happy

12. Gnairn23

Gnairn23 Active Member

I know, I went for the standard as well.
    How are people finding the tuning stability on theirs?

13. Weaselcoon

Weaselcoon New Member

I’ve had 2 Standards from 2019 and neither had tuning issues at all.

14. Gnairn23

Gnairn23 Active Member

I mean the ones without a yearly model name. The NEW ones.

15. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

What kills me about Gibson, exact same model, same specs, from one year to another you don't know what you're gonna get. I'd rather pay less and be sure of what I'm buying.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  16. Gibbo SG

Gibbo SG Active Member

All the new SG's are equally good, and it's more down to which one sets the mood for you. I dig the SG Classic, myself. Or the 1961 Reissue. They're all about equal in terms of tone.

17. Relic61

Relic61 Well-Known Member

The best newer SG I've played in recent years was 2018 SG HP. Still on my MUST ACQUIRE List. A players dream guitar that inspires & offered limitless technical bounds.

Those HP's were different from todays standard. They had a thicker body with a maple cap with 24 frets that gave the neck a really solid feel. They are still available new today at a reduced price if you look for them.

18. slowhand

slowhand New Member

They’re almost all equal.
    The SG modern is quite superior... in some ways.
    1. Custom shop length neck tenon
    2. Hand wired pots
    3. Grover locking
    4. 24 frets over the tenon space without moving the pick up, bearing in mind all SGs are closer to the bridge vs a LP (if i de all correctly).

With that said, this instrument is punching far into custom shop territory for $2000. Very very high quality. BB pros are fantastic. Finish is fantastic, on mine anyway.

BUT, it’s so different than an SG. Heavy and thicker necked. It’s weirdly Very LP like for an SG.
    SGs to me are light weight and stay out of your way. This Modern SG is barely thicker and barely heavier but It sure feels different. I’d recommend it, but it’s only for SG players, but also, only for SG players who want to make their SG as close to A LP as you can.

19. Gnairn23

Gnairn23 Active Member

I'am still enjoying my SG.
    I have played it for 30 minutes 4 days in a row and I haven't had to tune it once, which is always a good sign.

Worblehat and Joncaster like this.
  20. Gnairn23

Gnairn23 Active Member

anyone else happy with the tuning on their new Standards?

Joncaster likes this.