How long find it take you to find

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Gnairn23, Sep 12, 2019 at 7:18 AM.

1. Gnairn23

Gnairn23 New Member

Find a good pre owned SG Standard?
    I'am currently torn between waiting for a suitable used SG Standard to show it's face or just buy one of the new ones for £1199... What do you guys say?

2. Mick

Mick Member

All my current SG's ( a 1970, 1994, 2002, 2013) were all preowned...being left handed makes it more difficult for me to find them, I've mostly had to buy from the US, UK and Europe without getting to try them out..So I would say, try before you buy if possible.
    If you buy pre owned, be prepared to put more money into it, they often need a fret dress and setup, or a total refret if its a vintage guitar..but I enjoy refurbishing older guitars..and I like older guitars that have a bit of wear and mojo, means I'm not afraid to gig them, sweat on them, and scratch or ding them! The new SG Standards of recent years look top quality.. Is there a certain style of SG Standard you are looking for? Big batwing pickguard or the smaller style pickguard? Certain pickups? What colour?

3. Gnairn23

Gnairn23 New Member

yes, I'am looking for a batwing pick guard, red cherry colour with a rounded neck. So is it worth going for the newer one and just buy a separate hard case or wait for a used one with case to come up?

4. Mick

Mick Member

As I said, try before you buy if possible with new and pre owned...can you try out any of the new ones at a Music Store? They might even do a deal with you on a hardcase

5. Gnairn23

Gnairn23 New Member

6. Dale

Dale Well-Known Member

First try. I was committed to geting something in the SG line as I really liked a lot about it. Coming from LP's, teles and HH strats prior, it was a learning experience. It took me a while to be comfortable and cover the fretboard like I was used to with the neck being shifted as I hold them.

7. Gnairn23

Gnairn23 New Member

thanks for the reply.
    I bought a new SG Standard and I pick it up on Sunday.
    I had previously tried it a few days ago an I do like them, especially the chunkier neck.
    Looking forward to picking it up and hopefully it comes is good set up condition.