How much did higher education cost you?

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Layne Matz, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Well-Known Member

Id like to know how much your college or higher education costed you and in what year. There seems to be a broad spectrum of ages on here so we should be able to see if there are any chronological trends.

Colnago likes this.
  2. Colnago

Colnago Active Member

1999 6 years of University in CDN funds, Just the tuition and books portion was $28,000.

Layne Matz likes this.
  3. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Active Member

I went to a private college from 1976-1979. The cost of tuition, room, and board, for an in-state student was $2100 per semester. I worked for the school as an electrician for pocket change to wash my clothes. The education was fantastic, the room and board rustic. My parents paid for everything except my last semester so I ended up with an outstanding debt of that one semester's fees that I paid over three years before I was allowed to graduate.

After that I went to my state's university on a scholarship and entered the masters of music composition/electronic music/recording engineering program. While there i worked as a recording engineer at their music performance hall. Two years later I was hired away from that program into my first job - thus my ability to finally pay off the debt from my first school.

Bob

Layne Matz likes this.
  4. Didds

Didds Well-Known Member

I'm 16 but I do intend to go to Uni here in Sydney. Gonna be a fair bit of dough just like it would anywhere else in the world. However, how much did it cost my Mother? Absolutely nothing. Zip, Nada. She has Gough Whitlam to thank for that, may he rest in peace. I just wish the liberals hadn't gone and undone everything he did for this country, more particularly free higher education so that I don't have to cough up the money that I'll have to.

5. bgh

bgh Member

I went to a state college (1972-1977 - I crammed 4 years of college into 5 years). As a state resident, I was able to pretty much able to do a work and pay-as-you-go for college. It's been a while, but it seems like tuition was around $50 per credit hour back then. (I could be wrong, it has been a few years). I lived at home, so all I had to pay was tuition, books, ... the normal. Government loans for college were not available back then. If you needed a loan, you had to get a private loan. Most students either had families who could afford it, or, like me, worked their way through. Plus, college costs were not nearly what they are now.

Things have certainly changed since then.

6. Worblehat

Worblehat Well-Known Member

Here in Germany there is no tuition fee in public universities, just a small amount of so called "semester contribution" of about 300€ which covers things like administrative costs, public transport ticket etc for one semester. So you don't have to get into a lot of dept in order to study as long as you can pay for your normal living costs. I tend to forget what a great privilege this is compared to other contries like the U.S.

Layne Matz likes this.
  7. Colnago

Colnago Active Member

Wow, so lucky! Here, in Canada, it is greatly subsidized, but we still have to pay for transit passes and all other associated costs.
    My wife and I have been saving for our two sons to go to post secondary since the day they were born and I doubt we will be able to cover the expense by the time they enrol.

Layne Matz likes this.
  8. DaveInSoCal

DaveInSoCal Active Member

My daughter just finished college here in the US at a state university, $120K for 4 years. Thank God she was on a "full ride" athletic scholarship!

Layne Matz and Colnago like this.
  9. Colnago

Colnago Active Member

OMG! What's it going to be when my boys hit the age to go to college? They're 6 and 9 years away from it, I'm scared!

Layne Matz likes this.
  10. DaveInSoCal

DaveInSoCal Active Member

Yes, that is crazy expensive, but to be fair she was an out of state student so her tuition was higher. But don't stress there are options, academic and athletic scholarships, grants etc. The military will pay for college if they commit to serve a number of years.

You have plenty of time to research, plus who knows, by that time the government may pick up some of that.

Layne Matz likes this.
  11. Layne Matz

This is a great thread! Please keep it up, very informative!

We aren't supposed talk abiut politics on here or so im told but I'll mention there is a remarkable U.S. senator from Vermont running for president that has introduced legislation that would pay for the tuition to all public colleges, universities, trade schools and other institutions of learning, paid for by a by a very small tax on wall street stock transactions. Seems justified considering that 700 billion dollar bailout the financial institutions got in 2008. Thats not to mention the economic impact of having a more intellectually invested and well educated populace, it could change our whole culture.

Colnago likes this.
  12. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

It takes a college degree to break it and a high school diploma to fix it.

Voxman likes this.
  13. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

Bachelors at Temple - thousands

Masters of Ed - 10,000

Credit towards PhD - free (I thought at the U)

Layne Matz likes this.
  14. Layne Matz

I think I see what you are getting at, but try telling that to a surgeon or a flight engineer. Not to mention a high school education can vary drastically from school. Many students are not even taught about the legislative process for instance, or about reproductive health by chance. :rolleyes:

Thats not to mention the vast number of decent paying jobs you are diqualified from without some type of college education.

Personally I'm a* highschool dropout, but I study philosphy and economics through MITs OCW program.

Im bad with typos too

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  15. cerebral gasket

I most certainly can as I was an Avionics Technician in the past and was responsible for repairing the communication and navigation equipment in the aircraft they use. It was the first job I had out of high school after joining the service and being sent to school to learn the basics.

After I got out I used my education benefits to go to college and completed enough credits for a Bachelors Degree. I never received a degree because I switched majors three times. Life happens and depending on the job I had at the time, I would take courses related to said job so that I would have experience as well as a formal education at the same time.

I don't believe college makes one smart. All it does is show a potential employer that one can jump through the hoops and commit to one thing. It may increase your chances for a higher paying job, but nothing in life is guaranteed.

Layne Matz likes this.
  16. bgh

bgh Member

@cerebral gasket, I am definitely not what I consider a "smart" person. I squeaked by some classes (chemistry). But, some of the things I learned in college stuck with me. A lot didn't. My biggest takeaways were a process for learning new things, and, believe it or not, a system of quickly taking useful notes. Both have served me well throughout my career.

Layne Matz and Biddlin like this.
  17. cerebral gasket

I have been noticing a trend of threads on this forum as well as others that keep bringing up discussions from the news or other topics that are borderline political.

I don’t come here to read about that bullshit and thought this was supposed to be a guitar forum.

Tony M and arcticsg like this.
  18. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

State colleges and universities in California were very affordable until the late 1970s. There were no tuition costs for in state students and books for most full-time students cost around a hundred bucks a year. In 1976 $650/year resident tuition was instituted, $2150 for non-residents. Now residents pay about $15,000,non-residents pay about $42,000 per year. The UC system actively recruits foreign students, claiming that they do not displace any Californians.
    One of my kids has a degree from Cal State and an outstanding debt of $11k. .

Layne Matz likes this.
  19. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

You ever notice how during a disaster, it's hard to talk about anything else?

Layne Matz likes this.
  20. Layne Matz

This community has enough individuals to sustain many types of discusssions on many points that directly and indirectly impact all of us and I guess in turn, music as a whole. This the backstage for a reason. Lots of young musicians these days are in severe debt for their education. Severe meaning they cannot afford to move forward in life and do what Americans typically would like, buy a vehicle, a home, start a business, get married, start or care for their family, etc.

This is not politically focused but focused on what, if any debt you incurred from gaining a higher education, what year and where. Many people are still carrying this debt so if it isnt relevant to you, maybe try to empathize with those who cannot move forward with their lives due to insurmountable debt that even bankruptcy cant save you from.

Didnt mean to tag Biddlin, but I agree with his sentiments.