How much did your current main guitar setup cost you?

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by NoiseNinja, Jan 24, 2020.

1. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Member

So how much did your current main guitar setup cost you (you are still welcome to list other, non main or non guitar, music related gear and what it cost you as well though), including guitar, amp, pedals, as well as eventual pedal board (but not other types of stands, cables and similar accessory)?

Also do you consider your setup complete and how satisfied are you with it?

Mine is just about what equals 800$, and I only need 2 pedals more, and a proper pedal board to mount all my pedals on, to pretty much complete it, being really satisfied with what I got, as it pretty much nails my ideal tone spot on, be it totally clean (with reverb though) or effected.

With the 2 pedals I have in mind adding to my setup and the pedal board I have in mind for my pedals it will run up to just about 965$ all in all, when completed.

To give you an idea of how the money is distributed over gear, my guitar cost me just about 145$ new, my amp cost me just about 75$ used, and all my pedals but one have cost me under 100$ each, most bought from new, and the majority of them even being bellow the 60$ price tag, with the one pedal that doesn't fit this price pattern also being the single most expensive piece of gear in my whole setup, having cost me about 220$ from new.

Here's how the signal chain of my setup looks:

Epiphone SG Special>>

Joyo Orange Juice (light/medium overdrive, as well as dirty boost for the GDI21 dist)> Behringer GDI21 (always used in conjunction with the Joyo Orange Juice for high gain dist, using the California (Mesa Boogie) setting)> Behringer UT100 Ultra Tremolo> Boss LS-2 [A+B Mix<->Bypass]> ={ Loop A of LS-2 Send> Monarch MFL-22 (flanger, most often used in conjunction with the phaser in effects Loop B)> Behringer UV300 Ultra Vibrato (practically functioning as a deep lush chorus effect, as clean signal is mixed with the effected signal)> Loop A of LS-2 Return >||< Loop B of LS-2 Send> XVive V6 Phaser King> Loop B of LS-2 Return (when phaser is not activated Loop B functions as empty parallel clean effects loop, with the effect/clean mix ratio set at about 60/40) }= / Bypass> Output of LS-2> Zoom G1Xon (always on subtle plate reverb, as well as other reverb and delay effects)> Harley Benton American Sound (relabeled Joyo, always on preamp)> Artec SE-EQ8 Graphic EQ (8 band graphic equalizer, always on)

>> Peavey Solo Special 112 (with an EHX Black Finger (tube driven optical compressor) in the Send/Return effects loop of the amp, always on)

Planing to add two Nux Tape Core Deluxe (tape delay emulation) pedals, to be placed just before the Zoom G1Xon in my effects chain, and a Harley Benton SpaceShip 60 pedal board, to mount all my pedals on (except of course the EHX Black Finger in the amp's Send/Return effects loop), in the near future, completing my guitar setup.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    eugene, Hola Vibrola and DJGranite like this.
  2. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

What I now have cost a bit more than $2000. In the end I have zero invested, for the profit I made buying and selling gear in the past 6 or 7 years.

2019-12-27.jpg
    EDIT: Forgot about this little kit at the summer cottage.

2019-06-18a.JPG

3. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

$2,450
    It could have been worse.

[​IMG]

The Falcon = $2,430 (that's a great deal)
    The Roland Jazz Chorus = only $20.00. (That's true. A kid was throwing it out.)

4. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Member

The Roland Jazz Chorus is one of the absolute best SS amplifiers ever made, it's not legendary for nothing.

Such pristine clear cleans.

And that build in chorus and vibrato effect, which is actually based on the circuit of the Boss CE-1, is really lush and amazing sounding as well.

I owned the JC-120 model of this amp myself at some point but was stupid enough to sell it off, wish I had kept it.

Not complaining though, I managed to get an amazing tone out of my current setup, the Peavey Solo Special is a great amp too, if not exactly earning the same amount of public praise as the Roland Jazz Chorus amp, just still I wish I had the JC-120 as well.

DJGranite and Astral Traveler like this.
  5. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

Issue I have with this kind of question is that it's kinda loaded. I don't have a "MAIN" guitar I use. On any given day, it could be an L6s, ($400) or a 73 SG (trades that totaled on my end, $400) a 81 Ibanez Artist 100 (600ish comes to mind), Ibanez IC200 (25 bucks at a yard sale!) Or even my Ric 330 (don't ask) But let's just stay with amp and effects.

Original Roland Blues Cube, I paid a whopping nothing. It was a gift/promo from a store that sponsored my old band. Same thing with my Roland bolt 60 hybrid tube amp, AND my Roland BN-60 bass amp. (and I agree with NoiseNinja. For SS Roland is the best.)

Effects… yesh, ummm give or take in the $350 range.

So thinking about it, say I used the same setup I used on my last gig. (a while back I might add)
    77 Aria Pro ii ES-700, and my usual effects, about 850, more or less.

6. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

smma4.jpg DSCN0779.JPG
    About $1500 usd, I reckon.
    I usually carry These two with me as well;
    bidsmstrt.jpg lpmmpolcrp.jpg
    So add another $900+/-

eugene, DJGranite and NoiseNinja like this.
  7. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

I play bass and guitar.

My bass and guitar amps each were about $300.

my main guitar/bass changes week to week

my two favorite guitars were $350 and 1k.

[​IMG]

My two main basses at $500 and $1200

[​IMG][​IMG]

guitar pedal board is seldom used with less than 6 pedals all under $60

don’t even have a pic of it

Bass board again pedals on the cheap side.
    [​IMG]

8. DJGranite

DJGranite New Member

This could vary an incredible amount depending on which amp and guitar I choose to use.
    I very rarely buy new.
    Well I'll do the setup I use lately with my band, a Doors thing.
    amp- Mesa Stiletto deuce = $575
    cab- early 90's Mesa 4x12 = $125
    guitar - 1991 Gibson SG Celebrity Series = $700

pedal board I made out of jobsite scraps, I did buy the Velcro = $15
    MXR ISO Brick Power Supply = $150

into the front...
    Volume pedal- Ernie Ball, had this for over 25 years, best I can remember I paid 25 for it.= $25
    Dunlop Cry Baby 535Q = $40 ( got this and vol pedal together )
    E-H Big Muff Pi = $50
    Mesa Flux Five = $150
    Catalinbread Dirty Little Secret = $75

into the FX Loop …
    TC Electronics Choka (tremelo) = $50
    Digitech Hardwire DL-8 Delay/Looper = $50

I don't actually use the Flux Five or the DLS for the stuff we're doing but it's on the board so I included them.
    I very rarely use any of them really and could probably go straight into the amp.
    I Use the Wah just cocked on to replicate the out of phase pickups sound on 1 song,
    the Tape Echo function on the DL-8 on 1 phrase on 1 solo,
    the Trem on 1 song.
    I do use the Big Muff on 2 songs.
    90 percent is just guitar and the amp really.

so the total would be :
    with Pedalboard …. $2005
    without Pedalboard …. $1400

in my eyes, a bargain either way.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    eugene, Biddlin and NoiseNinja like this.
  9. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

Well, my main rig is my Takamine acoustic with an Artec active soundhole pickup into a Boss GT-1 DI’d into the PA at church... I suppose that makes it about 510 bucks, cables and all.

My electric rig I use at home is a bit less wallet friendly - Gibson SG Special T ($750) into a Klon KTR ($270) into a Fulltone OCD ($125) into the aforementioned Boss GT-1 ($200) split stereo into a Sunn SL260 ($120) and a Marshall DSL40C w/ speaker swapped to Eminence Private Jack ($480). That’s a grand total of 1,945 George Washingtons before all applicable taxes.

I guesstimate I’m all in between 2,500 and 3,000 of my own money in all of the stuff I have (bass, bass amp, other pedals, etc.)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  10. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Hmm... let's see... Me being a guitar slut, I have a hard time deciding that I like
    one more than the other... I love them all, PRN, repeatedly. I play acoustic, electric
    Djembe drum and bass, depending on the night and how easy the load in might be.
    See what I mean...
    02 workstation@100.jpg
    This work station above is probably worth about $3500 in outlay. I have two amps,
    Vox VT-30 and Roland Cube Bass 60XT worth about $800 together (including mods)
    two guitars: Gibson SG $600 new, Martin XC1T $600 used
    a bass I got free and have about $500 in mods to and a $350 drum...
    plus about $750 in pedals.

I brought all this to a festival gig where they had guys
    who were willing to help me hump it all in,
    and hump it all back out to my van when our set was done. *grins.
    We don't always get this luxury. So I can play a gig with much less.

But okay, my absolute favorite guitar is my '07 SG special, and she sounds
    best played through my Vox VT-30.
    Luna and Vox 2016@100.jpg
    If you 're going to play a Valvetronix amp, that honking big Vox pedal
    is a must. But you don't need a lot of other pedals with this rig.
    I have about $1750 in the SG (including mods) and about $500 in the amp.

A more typical work station for me up till I retired from touring last year was
    something like this:
    work station 2018@100.jpg
    Martin XC1T $600
    Gibson J-45 AG $1750
    Roland CB60XT amp $400
    Fender Jazz Bass 1966 ~priceless
    My acoustic pedalboard is worth about $500 maybe a bit more.
    I don't need any pedals with that bass + amp combination.

And I can do a whole night with only one acoustic and one bass, if we
    are on a tiny stage, or if it's hard to carry stuff in, or if we have to set
    up and take down quickly as part of a larger show.

eugene and NoiseNinja like this.
  11. El Marin

El Marin Active Member

I don't want to know

Huntroll likes this.
  12. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Member

Since everyone else included pictures, here's how my setup looks:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    eugene and Clifdawg like this.
  13. Hola Vibrola

Hola Vibrola Member

Actually this is a good exercise as I'm always thinking how I should have my working gear covered on a separate insure policy from the homeowner's. Some carriers won't cover out-of-house working music gear at all, and others are pricey. But still I need to get on that. For a typical average gig for our band, I use:

Reverend Slingshot $1000
    Ibanez Artstar, used $400
    Sparkledrive OD, used $60
    Keeley comp, $200? can't remember exactly
    TC Electronics Flashback II $150
    '70 Princeton Reverb $400
    and/or Vox AC10c1 $400

= $2,610. Not to mention other pedal etc. that re there just because they're in my box of traveling stuff.

eugene and NoiseNinja like this.
  14. MGrd

MGrd Member

Same here. Few thousand Euros anyway.

15. Trey LePark

Trey LePark New Member

This should be fun. I've never actually totalled up the amount of money spent for fear that my wife might see it. My main rig that I use the most is my bass rig. Fender Jazz Aerodyne = $830 Pickups, drop tuner and highmass bridge for Jazz bass $330 Ampeg BA210v2 = $500 Celestion 15" green label speaker = $160 Voodoo Labs Dingbat pedalboard complete with power supply = $330 TC Electronic Polytune 3 = $100 TC Electronic Mimio Doubler (Chorus) $130 Keeley Compressor Plus $130 Digitech Drop $200 TC Electronic Helix Phase Shifter $129 Ampeg SCR-DI preamp $250 MXR Bass Fuzz Deluxe $120 TC Electronic Sentry Noise Gate $130. Total $3339.

rig.jpg

My guitar rig is similar except I swap out the Fender Jazz for my G400 $682 (corrected dollars), swap the Ampeg amp and Celestion for a used Marshall DSL100H with matching cabinet $900 and the Ampeg preamp and MXR fuzz pedal for a Zoom G1X Four $100 and MXR Distortion Plus $100 (roughly, I bought it in 1983). Total $2930.

Note: These are just my gigging setups. If we're going to include all of the equipment, it's going to take me a while. I have no less than at least 20 more pedals, 3 more guitars (including a 1983 American Tele), 3 more basses, PA equipment, guitar and bass amps, miles of cables, just tons and tons of stuff.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    eugene, Hola Vibrola and NoiseNinja like this.
  16. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Well-Known Member

I have four "main" setups depending what I'm doing. I have no idea of the cost as all are a mix of used and new acquired over the course of several years. At a guess I'd say each one cost me somewhere between $1,000 CDN and $2,000 CDN

One - home practice - electric
    Blackstar HT1RH 1 watt tube head.
    Blackstar HTV-112 cab with Emminence P90e speaker
    Gibson SG 3 knob special

Two - home practice - acoustic
    Behringer Xenyx 1202FX mixer
    Sennheiser E385 microphone
    Apex 381 microphone
    Fender Powerstage 100 monitor
    Korg pitchblack multi tuner
    LR Baggs Venue DI
    Boss BD2 blues driver
    Boss CH1 chorus
    TC Electronics HOF mini reverb
    SKB 8 port pedal board.
    Yamaha LL16M guitar

Three playing live or jams - electric
    Traynor YCV-20WR 20 watt 1x12 combo
    Gibson SG 3 knob special

Four playing live or jams - acoustic
    Whatever PA the house has
    Korg pitchblack multi tuner
    LR Baggs Venue DI
    Boss BD2 blues driver
    Boss CH1 chorus
    TC Electronics HOF mini reverb
    SKB 8 port pedal board.
    Yamaha LL16M guitar

Those are the most common setups I use but the guitars change around quite frequently depending on my mood. I might use a tele, strat, Vantage VP295, modded Epi Dot, Taylor GS-Mini-e and a few more. Note the lack of pedals with electrics. I prefer the sound of a tube amp driven hard thus the one watt for practice and the twenty watt for live use.

eugene and Hola Vibrola like this.
  17. fredlw

fredlw New Member

$410 USD. I just got a cheap SG Junior and a stand for $210. Had a $200 fender mustang amp already.

18. glenncanale

glenncanale New Member

1967 Gibson SG special $100.00,1973 Marshall 100w super lead stack $900.00. That was back in 1975.

19. El Marin

El Marin Active Member

Same here