How much would you pay for a modified Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Vintage SG' started by Jr159753, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Jr159753

Jr159753 New Member

Hi group,

I'm new in the SG world, I would like to buy an affordable vintage.

By now I'm looking a modified deluxe from 74, the one with the Gibson bixby and the big black control pickguard/plate.

the pickups have been changed, and price is around 1700, the guy won't go under 1600 (price in euro).

It looks fair to me considering the price you would find that one on reverb ( not modified, $ 2k to 4k..)

Would you buy that one from the Norlin era or leave it?

Thanks!

2. Misanthrope

Misanthrope Member

Howdy and welcome from Wyoming.
    I will turn you over to the folks here that are more knowledgeable about SGs than I. Sounds like a pretty cool guitar though.

Again, Welcome

Jr159753 likes this.
  3. Jr159753

Jr159753 New Member

thanks!

I have a couple of pics, frets look pretty low

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nemesis0710 and AngelDeVille like this.
  4. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

AH !
    They hadn't invented horn bevels yet !

Jr159753 and Norton like this.
  5. sazista

sazista Active Member

I guess it's all relative to what's important to you. It looks like it's in very good shape and probably worth it being so old. If it really moves you, leave 1,500 on the table and see what happens. If he doesn't go for it, just find something else equally nice, and hopefully newer.

Jr159753 likes this.
  6. Chuteboxehero

Chuteboxehero Well-Known Member

Unless you really want that model in particular, I would shop around. That seems expensive considering the pickups have been swapped out. Also be careful using Reverb to judge value. Lately there seems to be a growing gap between asking price and what these are actually selling for regarding the late 60s and 70s era SG models. There are still plenty of deals out there. Just need some patience along with a little luck and I bet you could find something along those lines that's all original for hundreds less than that one in particular.

PermissionToLand and Jr159753 like this.
  7. Jr159753

Jr159753 New Member

Thank you all for wise tips.

I proposed 1500 and he asked 1600 as expected.

There is another one on reverb, 2000 (remember it's Euro not $!), and that's the cheapest one !!!It has been on the market for 8 months. I made a proposal, we'll see, I don't expect much.

8. DJGranite

DJGranite Member

Just to clarify...
    that isn't a 1974.
    The front mounted control plate and Les Paul style pickguard are from 71-72.
    72 had Gibson engraved on the pickup covers so they may have been changed .
    Hope this helps.

9. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

It’s a beautiful piece, but to be honest it’s probably one of the least desirables models. I hope I am not being to crass in saying so.

Mind you, if you love the guitar go for it, what’s another 100 euros... But if/when you go to sell it it could be you waiting 8 plus months to offload. And you might just take the £1500 offer depending on your situation. I also don’t really foresee these models going up in price from here. At least not following the demand of the 60’s and 70-71 standards.

PermissionToLand and Jr159753 like this.
  10. Jr159753

Jr159753 New Member

"this is not a 74" -> yep I eventually figured it out myself, that year was important to me for some reason, well...that's another red light on that guitar

"it’s probably one of the least desirables models" -> I think so... I was thinking it had some mojo compared to a new one. But if for some any reason that guitar doesnt feel good to play, I think it will be difficult to sell it.

and yes, the pickup are definitely not original!

About the other one on reverb (2000 eur) in France with a repaired neck but all original, the guy didnt accept my 1600 offer but was ready to discuss more on phone, I guess outside of reverb and paypal fees...

11. elwoodb7

elwoodb7 New Member

I'm no expert but I do own a late '71 SG Deluxe that I believe to be unmolested. The pickups in your pic look the same. You may be looking at a '71 not a '74 and it may be more original than you thought.

upload_2020-2-27_16-15-48.png

Jr159753 and pancake81 like this.
  12. pancake81

pancake81 Well-Known Member

amazing what can happen in a year. An early 70’s SG Standard is probably my favorite year of SG, overall broad statement and would depend on the specific guitar. But when I see a 1970 Standard for sale my eyes light up. Close second would be 61,64,68.

The amazing thing is that by the end of 1970 they were making the least desirable SG on the market, at least in my opinion. No slander, just referring to my aesthetic preference. I think my main reason is that it is so far away from what the SG was and continued to be in later years. The change was to abrupt and control face plate was just unpleasant to me. That and using left over LP pick guards. It’s a bit of a WTF moment. I think at the time they didn’t have Les’s support and the viewed it as a dying model on life support (maybe wrong?) threw a Hail Mary on design coupled with some cost saving measures (pick guard).

looking at the history of the model and Gibson as a whole it’s amazing they persevered through some of those times. Even over the last 10 years it’s been a roller coaster. I think they are in good standing currently and hope they hold up.

The funny thing is, times were hard in the golden age too. They had to work their tails off to make those hand made guitars, and work just as hard to find buyers. They would have loved to got 10% of what those guitars go for today

crashbelt and Jr159753 like this.
  13. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

The seller told him the pickups were changed, though. But indeed, not all Deluxes had embossed covers.

To me, these should be going for around the same as a new SG Special. And frankly, I'd still go with the Special because that doesn't have the narrow nut width of these. Paying over $1300 at the most for a Deluxe is absurd IMHO.

crashbelt and Chuteboxehero like this.
  14. crashbelt

crashbelt New Member

+1 this looks a bit of a dog from the SGs worst period. You'd be so much better off with a new Special or something else more recent 2nd hand.

15. Nortally

Nortally New Member

When I got SG fever last year, I wasn't locked into an authentic vintage instrument so it was easier for me. I wanted: The fancy neck w/binding, inlaid logo and trapezoids. And I wanted P90s because my other Gibson-scale guitar is an Epiphone LP Goth w/humbuckers. I did a lot of online shopping over a couple of months before landing on a used 2016 Gibson SG Standard for $1100 USD (including shipping fees). I figure that more than 1/3 of the price was for the fancy neck, but I'm totally satisfied. It has the features I want and it's a player.

I get that part of your personal spec is a true vintage instrument, but that does mean you'll have a longer search because a lot of those guitars have issues. My advice, take your time & hold fast to the features & quality you really care about. I notice that Japan seems to be a good source for authentic vintage instruments in good condition, but you have to deal with a reputable shop that takes returns. Be aware that you usually have to pay shipping on a return. Wishing you the best!

Jr159753 likes this.
  16. Jr159753

Jr159753 New Member

The seller was ok for 1500 euros, but my mind is elsewhere now, I'm more into looking after a non vintage SG 61 reissue.

I think the price is way to high on that one. Look at reverb.com, that's crazy.

17. Greg Coats

Greg Coats New Member

18. Greg Coats

Greg Coats New Member

I would shop around a little more if your stuck on getting one with a bigsby keep in mind bigs makes em that are not fastened to the front with screws and that is the problem with the model you are looking at as some people buy them looking to remove the trem so resale suffers. if your looking for a player grade then a repaints your best bet imho you need original pups on it. Just sayin.Good luck !

Jr159753 likes this.
  19. Southpa

Southpa New Member

First off, 74 Deluxe didn't exist They ran 71-72 then started again in 81-85 , then 98-99 and then 2013-present. Can you get a serial number to verify? There are a few details to observe. If its a 74 then it would be a Special HPIM4047.JPG HPIM4048.JPG LIke this one. Unbound neck, rectangular pearl inlay in the 1 st fret and most notably, mini-bumhuckers. Also as mentioned, LP style pickguard not on '74 and cover plate for the controls IS.

I picked this '74 for about $400 Cdn. it was pretty beat up and the seller actually thought is was a '72. It looked like someone hacked out the bridge pickup hole with a sharpened spoon to fit a regular sized HB. I got it sorted out and did a proper rout and its a very serious, serviceable guitar now. A MAJOR issue with these guitars is the finish. I pulled a knob off and saw cherry underneath...TOTALLY faded, thought it might be a natural or walnut but it used to be a cherry. That pretty much knocks off 1/3 of the value. But I didn't care, every scratch, dent and ding ( and yes, mods) adds to the history. Remember, made to be played. :)

If you are considering buying this git and it IS in fact a 71-72 Deluxe, which I also suspect, the Price Guide I have from 2018 sez $1375 - $1800 for the walnut or natural. That's US $ and in fairly original and relatively good condition. If it was a cherry and its faded, (red is a VERY photoreactive color) then take it down to a grand.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  20. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

It's a Deluxe, just look at the pictures he posted of it.