How to Block off a Repro Sideways Vibrola

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Logan, Nov 28, 2018.

1. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Well-Known Member

Anyone without one should be horribly jealous and borderline suicidal.

They are that beautiful.

Logan likes this.
  2. guitarman555

guitarman555 New Member

Hey, Logan, many thanks! Seem like a simple solutiion! I love my SG with sideway tremolo too, it has a unique resonance and great look. The guitar is great, if this solves my tuning problems, it will be great! Do you think I should also put the washer to make bigger pressure on the bridge not to move? Ore fill in the holes for bridge? I have still original bridge.
    https://espanol.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/1961-Les-Paul-Tribute.aspx
    Thanks!

3. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

The washer allows you to adjust the break angle like a regular stopbar. If you want, you can leave it out,as it then acts like a trapeze tailpiece.

4. guitarman555

guitarman555 New Member

So the washer puts tremolo more down? Btw. what material is the washer?

5. Daniel.S

Daniel.S Well-Known Member

metal

6. guitarman555

guitarman555 New Member

Ok, which metal and what is the thickness? Any other measurements, like height and size? Many thanks for all the advices!

7. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

It's metal. I brought the bearing and screw to home Depot and bought it for 20¢. Not complicated

8. AngelDeVille

It should be made of heavy metal.

Logan likes this.
  9. guitarman555

guitarman555 New Member

Hey, so I made the whole process, a great way how to increase the angle of strings! The only thing is that tuning problem is still there a bit. If I bend really lot, I can feel that there is a micro very little realease of other strings, so it maybe is not 100% blocked. (I did the whole process including putting of the strings).

10. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

That happens on a stopbar as well. Instead of the anchor point being in the middle of the body like a stopbar, it's at the end of the body like a trapeze tailpiece. The only way of really getting rid of that entirely is to get locking hardware (which doesn't exist for this as of yet). Reason is, what is keeping it in tune is the string tension pulling it as far as it can go, and if you change the balance of the string tension (via a vibrato system, vibrato with the hands, bending, etc), you're increasing the tension on all the strings by bringing that one out of balance. Since the stopbar (or in this case, the vibrola tailpiece) is being held in place by string tension, bending upsets the whole balancing act and the rest of the strings go out of tune. Not as much as say a free-floating vibrato system, but still enough to be noticeable by people with great ears. Also, as you increase the string tension by putting heavier and heavier gauges on, this becomes less noticeable. Now, I know that isn't the most scientific explanation, but that is how my teenager mind understands what is going on.

Also, the stringing method was just to make it easier when you have it so close to the body that you have a hard time getting the ball end under the front end of the tailpiece.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    guitarman555 likes this.
  11. guitarman555

guitarman555 New Member

So you think the heavier strings the less tuning problems will be? I sm not sure, maybe vice versa? Btw many thanks once again for all advices. It is really help. Only concern is that now there is a huge tension on the washer from under by the tremolo. I hope the little screw that holds everything now will survive:)

Logan likes this.
  12. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

13. AngelDeVille