Howdy there folks in the SG world!

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by NoiseNinja, Dec 20, 2018.

1. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja New Member

Hey, I am the owner of a 2012 Indonesia made Epiphone SG Special, supposedly with a mahogany body and a maple neck.

I have owned it since late 2012, but at first I didn't really care much for it, and only had it for recordings since I had bass as my main instrument of choice for many years, but just recently having gone back to focusing more on the instrument that originally got me started playing music and doing a thoroughly setup on my SG Special made me realize that it is actually surprisingly good for the price I payed for it and overall a great instrument.

Sure I have had guitars that were more expensive and also that I liked better (particularly a Westbury Standard, that design wise is somewhat inspired by a SG, and is the best damn guitar I ever laid my hands on, but was stupid enough to let go), especially the pickups on the SG Special could do with an upgrade, but I am still able to get a very useful tone out of it, it has perfect fretwork with no buzz at all, and overall feels quite nice to play.

For the money I spend I got a lot of guitar and I have a hard time imagining I would have been able to get any better for a similar price.

Here is it, with a painted pickguard, a Sherman Filterbank II sticker and the stock knobs replaced with some chickenhead style ones:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
    fos1 and bwotw like this.
  2. Chubbles

Chubbles Well-Known Member

I have a similar one. I love the neck. Now that I set it up and replaced a few things, it's one of my fav. I play it often. It's my avatar. I added a pickguard, and Gover tuners since the pic. And it's the cheapest guitar I ever bought.

3. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja New Member

I also ponder on swapping out the stock pickups, preferably with the pickups my Westbury was equiped with, a DiMarzio PAF 59 in the neck and a Super Distortion in the bridge, though I might start out with just replacing the neck pickup, since that is really the main problem, being quite muddy, with a cheap Wilkinson Zebra MWHZ Alnico V pickup, and leave the stock bridge pickup in for now, since that actually sounds quite decent.

4. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Hey welcome to the forum!

NoiseNinja likes this.
  5. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja New Member

My newest picture of my SG with digitally edited background:
    [​IMG]