Hum hum

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by MarcShyver, Jul 20, 2005.

1. MarcShyver

MarcShyver New Member

Hi,

I just bought a Gibson SG special. Great playability, nice design, HUGE sound. I'm really happy 8)
    But ...
    When pickup selector is in the middle position, One pickup open, the other at 0, no sound at all. Is that normal ?
    Both pickups have to be open ? I tought it would be the sound of only one pickup in this position.

Futhermore, buzz/hum is pretty high. Much more present that with my Gibson Nighthawk 3pu standard, even in its single coil position. Would it be a good idea to shield the cavity with conductive paint? Or do you think there is a problem with my guitar? The hum cancels itself on the position that uses both pickups (when both volumes are open).

Thank you for your help.

Kind regards,

Marc

2. Bogart

Bogart Member

That same thing actually happens to my 61RI as well, I was wondering what was up. I don't really care, as I only ever use the bridge, and the rhythm is always at 0 for muting, but still...

3. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to ETSG MarcShyver!  :) :) :)

Someone should be along to answer the pup switch question and the buzz hum....... ?  8)

4. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

............ BTW............ We love Pix around here too!!! O0

5. E.Buzz

E.Buzz Member

This happens to my SG faded, too. I assume it's normal, because every SG I've ever played (Les Pauls too, for that matter) have had that little quirk.

6. Ac/Dc_wannabe

Ac/Dc_wannabe Member

do you mean that the volume is at 0 ? if so than yes that is normal. when you have it in the middle selection then both pickups are being used. so you could use any of the volume knobs as the master volume. so yes both volume knobs have to be open if you want sound. when you have it in the treble (or the bottom position) then just the neck pickup is being used and for the Rhythm (the top position) then the bridge pickup is being used. took me a while to figure this out when i first got the sg :p. if thats not what you mean and you already knew all this then dont mind me LOL

7. MarcShyver

MarcShyver New Member

Thank you for explanations about pup routing. But what about the hum?

Talking about pictures, I will organise a shooting  ;)

Here is its first picture taken during its first gig in Liège (Belgium).

[​IMG]

8. E.Buzz

E.Buzz Member

The hum is probably normal. Try a Stratocrapter and you'll find out what hum REALLY means!

9. Ac/Dc_wannabe

Ac/Dc_wannabe Member

well this could be alot of things, or it could just be the guitar itself. one of the things it could be is the chord you use to plug into the amp. another thing is the amp itself depending on what amp you got. if you got a decent amp and chord then it could be the guitar's pickups. but someone with more experience should help you with that :p :lol: ;D

10. E.Buzz

E.Buzz Member

Good point. My hum went away when I got some decent cables. :coolsmiley:

11. MarcShyver

MarcShyver New Member

With the same amp the same cable and the same settings, the SG makes more noise than my Nighthawk in its single coil position >:( It is strange to notice the cancellating of the hum in the middle position, isn't it?

12. Sgmaniac

Sgmaniac Guest

This will fix the wiring so you get two independent volumes. This is how the original Les Paul's were wired.

[​IMG]

13. Sgmaniac

Sgmaniac Guest

Here's the master volume diagram. This is what Gibson uses currently and everyone seems to hate.

[​IMG]

14. MarcShyver

MarcShyver New Member

Thanks for the diagrams.

Is the wiring with 2 independent volumes more silent?

15. Sgmaniac

Sgmaniac Guest

Doubt it. Bring your guitar over to my house and I'll trouble shoot it for you, hehehehehehe. Humbuckers are usually pretty quiet, so I suspect your othe gear. I would try it through a different amp and make sure you don't have line noise from some other device feeding into your amp. Try plugging your amp into different plugs around the house and see if it stops humming. Change everything one at a time until you find the problem, e.g. cables, amps, etc. If it's a used guitar, the wiring might be suspect, but check everything else first. :)

16. marty1776

marty1776 Active Member

I'd start out like the other guys said, change equip. a piece at a time. One other thing to try, turn the volumes up on the p/u's. Switch between them, one and then the other. Is one pickup the culprit or do both sound the same?

17. CharlieB

CharlieB Active Member

You CAN rewire the volume controls to eliminate that pesky "no volume" if one pickup is turned way down, and the switch is in the middle position. Its easy! Just reverse the pickup hot lead with the lead that goes to the 3way switch (usually the brown wire on a recent SG's). You'll also need to move the capacitor. Put another way... your volume pot has three leads. One end is grounded, that stays the same. The middle one has the wire that goes to the 3way switch. The remaining end has the pickup "hot" and the capacitor. Just take the pickup hot and capacitor and put em on the middle connection of the pot. Then take the wire from the middle and put it on the ungrounded end connection of the pot. Done.

Here's the picture -

[​IMG]

BTW - take care and do not overheat the pots. VERY easy to do on those cheap Gibson pots.

As for hum - when you turn down the pickup volume, you MAY get some hum, IF your cable, or your amp is not grounding properly.