Humbucker Parallel Wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups' started by plankton, Aug 24, 2019.

1. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

I have never been able to bond with the neck pickup in my '66 G400 Pro. It's a bit too muddy and dull for the music I play. I've tried adjusting the height, all the way down to flush with the guard and even a bit lower, but couldn't get what I wanted.

I was planning on swapping it out for a HB size P90 style pickup, something like a Tonerider Rebel 90. I saw a thread on another site here in Australia where a guy was contemplating the same thing, and one of the forum members suggested he try wiring the existing pickup in parallel instead of series. He said that it could give him a similar tone, lower in output but more clarity and punch.

I had never heard of this before and immediately set to researching (don't you just love the internet). I found a few different sites which explained how to do the wiring and several other references to how it would affect the tone. All of it sounded exactly like what I had been looking for and the mod was dead easy (and free!).

I finally got the chance to get into the shed and fire up the soldering iron today. A simple five minute job and I was ready to try it out. I immediately heard what I had been wanting all this time. Gone was the dull, muddy tone. The pickup is now a bit brighter with great clarity and punch, closer to a P90 or mini HB sound. I can finally use a little or a lot of gain and it doesn't wash out and become muffled. The volume was a bit too low to match well with the bridge pickup, but a few adjustments got it just right. I can now also use the tone knob (with the 15nF cap that I'd already had in there) on any setting and have a usable sound, before it never left "10".

If anyone is in the same boat, I highly recommend you try this. If you can solder yourself it's a free mod and certainly beats shelling out for a new pickup. You will need 4 conductor pickups to do it and you need to pay attention to the colour codes that different manufacturers use. Here's a link to one of the many fine explanations of this simple wiring mod. :cheers:

https://www.premierguitar.com/artic...-wiring-humbuckers-in-parallel-on-an-hh-strat

2. Norton

Norton Well-Known Member

I’m a big fan.

Running a pickups coils in parallel is a huge change. Single coil-ish sound but much more interesting, and no hum.

plankton likes this.