Humbucker pickup rings in metal.

Discussion in 'Tone Zone' started by Ray, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

I have an old worn black metal pickupring I want to put on my batwingStandard, after Cerebral Gasket revealed this little cool trick in another thread.

http://www.everythingsg.com/threads/gibson-sg-classic-2007-vs-2016.35266/#post-515332

I think my metal pickup ring is from the late seventies or so.

But I have some questions:
    1. Will a metal pick up ring produce any kind of interference/statics/noise or have any effect on the magnets in the pu?
    2. Did Gibson use metalrings consequently on some models, some years?
    3. Does Gibson still use them on Historic/RI guitars?

2. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

20190129_203016.jpg rsz_20190129_202539.jpg
    Edit: seems I was a little fast there. Looking more closely I see that the ring has a curved edge under, so I guess its from an LP. Guess I gotta file it a bit on the underside to have it flat on the pickguard if I wanna use it then...

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  3. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Woah ..
    Not even one comment in one week ..? Not even one comment about how "it's all in your fingers", or "it would have no effect, 'cause I sound like myself on any stringed, wood-based instrument."

Well, well ... not even views on the "psychogenic" side of guitarplaying, either.

4. Gahr

Gahr Well-Known Member

Ok, I don't KNOW this, but I can't see a metal pickup ring posing any problems when it comes to interference or disturbance. I mean, we use metal covers on pickups, and we use metal to shield the pickup cavities etc.

5. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

The mirror guards I have seen for sale on WD Music are plastic, but the one on Glenn Tipton's ebony SG Special is polished stainless steel according to his site. There was a Flying V and SG set made back in the 2000's and the hardware and guard on the SG is listed as chrome. So I would imagine with all that extra stainless steel around the pickups, a metal ring would not affect it.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/gui...signature-sg-and-flying-v-electric-guitar-set

Ray likes this.
  6. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

1. Will a metal pick up ring produce any kind of interference/statics/noise or have any effect on the magnets in the pu?
    Nope

2. Did Gibson use metalrings consequently on some models, some years?
    Nope

3. Does Gibson still use them on Historic/RI guitars?
    Nope

7. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Thanks, man, appreciate it. Yeah, I was guessing that it wouldnt have any effect or cause interference, but I wanted to be sure. So those Flying Vs and those SGs had chrome rings. Weird. I thought Gibson just used those rings for a while during the Norlin-years.

Yeah, the thing is that nobody that I've talked to seem to know this for sure, 110 % ... But, yeah, what you too say certainly makes sense.

8. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

The Flying V has plastic guard and rings. The SG has metal batwing, but not certain if rings are metal on the SG.

9. Ray

Ray Well-Known Member

Okey, got it. Metal batwings... he he, I'll bet old Lester Polsfuss would have loved an extremely more pointy and knifesharp, big version of the pickguard on his already dangerous, horned new guitarmodel... :D

cerebral gasket likes this.