I am really digging the 85/15 pickups by PRS

Discussion in 'Other Guitars' started by GrumpyOldDBA, Jun 13, 2019.

1. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

So it is not that I do not love the Gibson 57 pairs of pickups. They are still amazing and always will be. The 498/490 combo is pretty sweet also.

But I thought that I would never find another combo that came close or *might be* better.

However the set of 85/15s on the PRS Schizoid are very very nice. I am not great at describing differences between pickups so I won't try.

I guess maybe I might try putting together some sound samples of one versus another but heck there are so many things like that out on youtube etc already.

DanB likes this.
  2. GrumpyOldDBA

Yikes update to my post. No I think the 57s are still better been playing them all morning now.

But the PRS 85/15s are also good and if you have any of these combos you are a lucky guitar player!

3. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

I find the PRS pickups too compressed. It's like playing an Ovation acoustic to my ears, but then I prefer 490/498, 490/490 and Dirty Fingers over 57s in most situations.

4. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

The PRS pickup I'm curious are the PRS 57/08 pickups. They bought some ancient wire drawing machine from some vendor who supplied gibson with pickup wire back in the late 50s and implied that the wire drawn from this machine had some mystical property to bring back the old PAF sounds. It was pretty vageuly stated and a lot of people thought "they bought the actual old stock wire!" nope. "They bought the original PAF winding machines!" nope.

When they came out they were said to be pretty exclusive, which fit the legend that there was a very limited amount of stock or perhaps only one machine to wind them. But then they put them on a lot of stuff so maybe no so rare. Anyway people raved but I wonder how much of that was because they thought they included Kalamazoo fairy dust in them and how much was the real sound?

5. Steve D

Steve D Well-Known Member

Ooops, deleting duplicate post.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  6. GrumpyOldDBA

Hmmm I am not familiar with that angle ha ha.

I don't think PRS sells some of their pickups as replacements etc probably to try to keep the magic aspect of the story? The PRS forum I think does not even allow people to put up classifieds selling them?

I just put the 85/15s through some comparison testing against a 57/57+ set in my 2017 LP Studio tribute HP. They hold up well doing AC/DC against the 57s and MC5 and Blues also sound dang good from either guitar. So anyhow PRS is doing something pretty good with these models.