I hate amp shopping!

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs' started by ratsalad, Dec 6, 2017.

1. ratsalad

ratsalad Active Member

.... Because without fail, I get totally stuck choosing between a few options and end up having to push myself to make a choice and usually end up making some sort of compromise. I know I can't be the only one that goes through the agony of the amp shopping process.

Where I am at the moment; I had an Orange Micro Dark in which I just sold (The Micro Dark was my "compromise amp").. I learned a lot about what I really want from making that compromise. The Micro Terror turned out to be a fantastic choice for a pedal platform where I ran the amp clean and had stompboxes for the dirt, verb, etc. I guess what happened was, I realized that I didn't want to have a pedal board with two or three OD/distortion pedals on it. To me the gain on tap on the Micro Terror is just too "loose" to do much with. I desire something tight and focused with more gain. Classic hard rock/metal like Priest, Sabbath, etc etc but then being able to transition into a spanky clean Love Me Two Times jam smoothly in a pinch (which will likely mean a two channel amp). Mind you I'm probably over-thinking a lot of this.

So I don't want a combo, being that I don't have a lot of space and I have an Orange 112 cab with V30 sitting here. Two channel head, preferably tubes on a budget, and has to be from Zzounds as they've given me the option of 12 month of payments with no credit check on gear costing $249 and up.

First thought; Bugera... A lot of options, like the G20 for example, but then it's ehh well didn't exactly like the amp that sucker is a copy of, so why would I like that one? Moving on...

Then there's the Mike Fortin designed Randall RD20... I dig it, except it's kind of too modern sounding :lol:

Laney Ironheart 15? Looks good, versatile, but... Notorious for being biased cold, needs correcting before they sound decent.. Damn it!

Stick with Orange maybe, the OR15 sounds good! Now we're getting a bit expensive and doesn't fit the criteria anyway... Ugh!

Peavey 6505MH.. Definitely the right direction, but not cathode biased like the others, might be a pain down the road.. Doh..

There is the crazy war going on inside my head that will continue every waken hour until I can convince myself what I am going to for sure buy.... I'm NOT the only one that does this, right? RIGHT?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
    MetalSG and Clifdawg like this.
  2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

3. drown

drown Well-Known Member

First Wold Problem, and Yes, I know exactly how you feel.

ratsalad likes this.
  4. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

Have you considered the Peavey Valveking MH? Despite their somewhat unloved reputation (probably more related to their country of origin rather than their actual quality), they have a very tight, focused gain structure. Great cleans too. Can be had on the used market for peanuts - saw one on GC not long ago for around 200.

5. rotorhead

rotorhead Active Member

I have a little Roland Cube 20GX that is a decent enough room amp. It has plenty of knobs to play with and a few other little tricks up its sleeve.

6. Plan Zero

Plan Zero Member

I owned a Laney combo years ago, definitely the best and most versatile two channel I owned. Only needed to clean the pots once in a while. They don't get enough love in the US.
    Now that was 20 years ago so for all I know they're crap nowadays.

7. ratsalad

ratsalad Active Member

I'm kind of leaning toward Peavey, actually. I like the simplicity of the Valveking MH, but I think I like the sound of the 6505+ MH a little better. Could definitely save a little green on the Valveking vs the 6505 though!

8. ratsalad

ratsalad Active Member

I really loved the Laney LC15 that I had years ago too! The Ironheart's are nice 3 channel amps, just not necessarily right out of the box. There's a lot of reports of them being biased far too cold, making them sound extremely sterile. If you have the tools and the skill set, or don't mind paying for a biasing job right out of the gate, they're probably pretty fantastic! They sure sound great in the demos...

Plan Zero likes this.
  9. Plan Zero

Plan Zero Member

OK so if they sound great in the demos just order one and if you don't like it say it's broken so you don't have to pay return shipping.

ratsalad likes this.
  10. ratsalad

ratsalad Active Member

I would consider doing that except Zzounds only has one left in stock and it was a customer return. That's a red flag in my mind. As much as the amp interests me, it doesn't look like it's in the cards for me this time.

11. MetalSG

MetalSG Active Member

Randall, or Peavey, or Orange. I’m just guessing, but perhaps the OR15 might be the most flexible one. The other two are definitely on the modern side of things, but they sound nice!.

12. Scootermuppet

Scootermuppet Well-Known Member

Talk of modelling... well - cerebral gasket was anyhow :D I thought I’d throw a curve ball in.

Have you tried a Boss Katana head?

CB4C3D1F-630B-42E5-AC8F-59D9F7FFDD3A.jpeg
    (Drink can for size comparison :smile: and the footswitch is just sat in front, not attached!)

If you have a cab already, the tones are pretty close to a valve setup, and you have a lot of tweakable stuff via USB if you so desire... not to mention a footswitch option to cover your effect options (patch changes, bank changes and switching individual effects within patches).

It also has a 5” speaker in the head! Not a gimmick either, makes for a brilliant practice option, and plug in a cab when you need more volume.

Not sure how Boss does it (digital wizardry I’d suspect!), but with the channel vol and master vol maxed out, and the power switch and guitar vol controlling your tones, it manages to sound very much like a tube amp to my ears (admittedly YMMV) and cleans up very well with a roll off of your guitar vol.

There’s a growing thread on here with feedback from some of us satisfied owners, I think Boss hit the nail on the head with the Katanas...

Just a thought, and if you can get a go on one, I’d say it was worth a try :naughty:

Bob

syscokid and MetalSG like this.
  13. ratsalad

ratsalad Active Member

Right, the Orange is definitely more vintage voiced while having oodles and oodles of gain. I really like the OR15, but I ultimately went with the Peavey because as much as I like the Orange, I don't like the OR15 $200 better than the the 6505 :D NAD thread coming soon.

Hey look, someone did an A/B video HA!

I have actually, and it wasn't really my cup of tea... I REALLY wanted to like it! I love the concept, and I can say that my not really liking it for myself had more to do with feel rather than sound if that makes sense. They sound pretty good! I can see why a lot of you guys love them :smile:

Clifdawg and MetalSG like this.
  14. MetalSG

MetalSG Active Member

Congratulations. Make it thunder!.

ratsalad likes this.
  15. MetalSG

MetalSG Active Member

I will try a mini Katana. Might even end up bringing one home.:smile:

16. MetalSG

MetalSG Active Member

Wow. I saw the comparison. Both amps sound terrific, and I’m quite sure that, together, sound even better.

ratsalad likes this.
  17. ratsalad

ratsalad Active Member

Sighs.... NAD that could have, and should have been. FedEx delivered a 5-piece Pearl drum kit, I am NOT amused... Okay, that is a lie, I'm very amused hahaha. I would have much preferred that new amp though :rofl:

Clifdawg likes this.
  18. Clifdawg

Clifdawg Well-Known Member

Still better than the time UPS delivered me a yoga mat instead of a Gibson SG :rofl:

ratsalad likes this.
  19. ratsalad

ratsalad Active Member

Haha, oh man... That is bad!

20. DFLCC

DFLCC Well-Known Member

I understand you 100%. I would like one amp that cover all my range of styles, from jazzy blues to full blown metal. But it seems that at the end; it is a compromise. I think my EVH is the closes but then I have to live with the shift of volume between channel 1 and 2. Sure there are solutions for this well known issue but them it is a compromise again as that lowers the gain range of channel 2 and 3.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017 at 10:27 PM
    ratsalad likes this.