I love cheap pedals.

Discussion in 'Effects' started by VanDerchuck, Jan 17, 2015.

1. VanDerchuck

VanDerchuck Active Member

2. defaultoprime

defaultoprime Well-Known Member

Cheap pedals? Affirmative... I like cheap pedals...
    ped.jpg

3. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

Whats your fav Prime???? I just ordered a French Toast ;)

4. CATMANDUE

CATMANDUE Well-Known Member

$10 out the door at GC a little earlier today. Sounds great also!
    [​IMG]

Bettyboo, VanDerchuck and eS.G. like this.
  5. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

YEAH!!!!!!

6. Psychobilly444

Psychobilly444 Well-Known Member

SUMBITCH!!! I'm ordering one!!!!! :dude:

VanDerchuck likes this.
  7. VanDerchuck

What the hell?

Don't be surprised, but the schematic doesn't match the bill of materials. And the seller took the BOSS OD3 schematic and pasted over the original company logo. They don't match up at all.

I haven't gone through the parts yet to make sure they are all there. But I've pretty much decided to turn it into an OCD or a Bluesbreaker.

8. defaultoprime

defaultoprime Well-Known Member

ped.jpg

Best pedal in that group? The DS1... it's got a Monte Allums DS1 Rectifier Mod... If I need to add distortion, that's where I go... I don't like stock DS1 tones... This pedal sounds nothing like a DS1... It's fierce...
    Both of the Cool Cat drives are lovely when used as clean boosts for a tube amp... Drive all the way down... volume all the way up... creamy goodness... They're good for other things to, but that's how I normally use them...
    The Sweet Baby is something I haven't entirely figured out yet... best used with a crystal clean amp... I bought it recently for use with my Fender Concert amp, which needs servicing... it's not great with every amp, but with those it is good with, it's REALLY cool...
    The Arion Digital Delay is a forever pedal... at least until it dies... had it many moons... it just works...
    The FABs are really kinda meh... but hey, whatdya want for $15, right?
    The Chicken Salad is an ok pedal, but it has issues now... I'll probably replace it with something else if I feel the need for the vibe thing again... There are better pedals out there for what it does...

CATMANDUE likes this.
  9. Psychobilly444

Is it even buildable, as it is?

VanDerchuck likes this.
  10. Psychobilly444

Not calling YOU an SOB, just exclaiming! :D

VanDerchuck likes this.
  11. VanDerchuck

You can call me whatever you want. No big deal. And no. I haven't figured it out yet. I don't recognize it. I'm going to ask a couple other forums. Maybe someone will recognize it. It's not a great kit, obviously, but it's worth $20.00 for the enclosure. Or for a good laugh. Did you order one?

12. CATMANDUE

CATMANDUE Well-Known Member

Those Monte Allums mods are deluxe. I have one on a Boss Blues Driver BD-2 and it rips! The Blues Drivers sound good even just out of the box. This mod makes it even better. I bet the DS-1 sounds pretty good after the Monte mod.

defaultoprime likes this.
  13. Bettyboo

Bettyboo Well-Known Member

Hmmm, I'm kinda glad I didn't order one now.

Plus, I'm just waiting on a pedal to arrive this week which I think will blow this thread to pieces, for 12 euro... :naughty:

14. Psychobilly444

i'm gonna order one, just gotta figure out color would a joyo vintage OD fit?

15. Bettyboo

A $30 fuzz arrived from HongKong today. They actually get pretty good reviews, so we will see - I'm hoping my new amp comes soon, I'll try it with that because going into my Blackstar Fly isn't gonna be a good indication. The pedal is solid, has true bypass, and everything feels good, nice solid switch.

20150511_153313_resized.jpg

Here's a couple of reviews and a Youtube vid (doesn't sound much on that vid, but you never really know until you plug it into your own amp with your own guitar, do you?

First of all I'm a pedal geek. I gave this pedal a try expecting it to be junk and it was a very, very pleasant surprise. It has great clarity, bright tone and works extremely well with other pedals. To get fuzz tones you have to crank the fuzz and you can get there. The distortion sounds are crunchy, chain saw like but with amazing clarity. High notes ring through. Coupled with my Swollen Pickle it sends the Pickle into another dimension. Wow! Versatile, boutique sounds for less than $50? It's on my board while some "high end" pedals sit in their boxes on my shelf.
    The Belcat fuzz is an inexpensive way to start your journey into the world of fuzz tones. At about a third of the cost of the most familiar fuzz pedals, and certainly much cheaper than boutique, it's a relatively inexpensive purchase. There's not a lot of info to be had on the net, but there is one youtube video which shows that you can get aggressive fuzz tones from this pedal. Like any respectable fuzz pedal, distortion cleans up when guitar volume knob is rolled back. The pedal is solidly built with true bypass so your tone stays clean when switched off. Fuzz pedals are a great way to get classic rock tones so grab this pedal and get your fuzz groove on!

http://www.amazon.com/Belcat-FUZ-510-Fuzz-Pedal/product-reviews/B003EUYVXU

16. Bettyboo

OK, couldn't help meself, played it for a while through the Blackstar Fly (which is a 2 channel amp with ok clean and ok gain channels for a tiny battery powered 3 watt amp). There is no battery with the Belcat, but my Digitech PSU worked just fine.

I plugged in through the clean channel and there were no problems with noise or upsetting the Blackstar tone on bypass. I left the tone and volume at 12 for most of the time; the tone doesn't do much usable stuff, but sounds fine. The volume at 12 with the fuzz low (9 O'clock) gave a nice light overdrive to the Blackstar. If I kept it there and upped the Belcat volume then the pedal would be fine as a crunchy boost at that setting. Still with the vol/tone at midday, I upped the fuzz, at 11 it was nice, not heavy, just fuzzy and sounded quite nice and punky with powerchords in a way the Blackstar gain channel cannot. At around 1pm (50%) it was similar to the Blackstar gain channel at its maximum setting. As the fuzz went up (only took it to about 80% at maybe 4 O'clock) you just get more fuzz, not gainy, not fizzy, just quite nice fuzziDistortion which I personally prefer to the Blackstar's 'pure' gain.

OK, it was only a small test on a tiny and limited amp, but I thought the pedal made the amp much more usable and fun; personally, with this amp and pedal, I wouldn't use the gain channel anymore - the pedal is nicer and has more range and variety. Nice. :D

Just another note, the Digitech isn't great through the Blackstar; can't really be used at all on the gain channel, and is ok with some settings on the clean channel, but very hit and miss; I don't blame the cheap amp or cheap multi-effects for this, they are what they are... But, the Belcat sounds a LOT better through the Blackstar than something like the Big Muff or Metal Distortion or (God forbid...) the terrible Digitech Grunge setting from the Digitech Element. So, it's a very inoffensive and easy to use pedal thusfar. Bring on the Randall for a proper check... :naughty:

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  17. VanDerchuck

I can check later. It won't match up perfectly though because of the LED. But it's worth a look.

Edit: Definite Nope on that one. But I'll put something in it if you want.

Edit 2: I found this while searching the seller's ebay ID.
    http://www.nuxefx.com/product_detail.php?id=66&id1=49&id2=47

Looks pretty damn close.

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  18. Bettyboo

^ that Nux is an excellent pedal; cheap, but very good.

19. VanDerchuck

I like both of your demo contributions to this thread. Waited until my lunch break to watch them. The Belcat is interesting and I've never heard of them. A little to mushy for me, but that could have been the setup. That guy doing the demo though. If like to get some beers with that guy. He looks like a lot of fun.

The NUX pedal is interesting. It's similar in color and the in and out jacks are labelled similarly to the OverDirve. But the BOM for the Dirve doesn't match a Tubescreamer. Thats bothersome. I wish it was.

PsychoBilly, how good are you with a soldering iron. If I built a board with everything you'd need, could you add the final piece which is the dc jack? It's three spots and in a tight little spot. But definitely doable. I have an enclosure to match the set up of pots. I could just build it, test it, and mail it to you.

20. Psychobilly444

I'm quite solder-savvy. PM me and we can work out some sort of payment, paypal? That'd be great, thanks Chuck!