I Love My Kids, but........

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Biddlin, Apr 3, 2019.

1. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    I've been watching the current US college admission scandal with more than a little bemusement. Wealthy parents committing a felony to get their kids into "good schools" is good tv, especially when the parents are two "tv stars." And it isn't just their celebrity status that makes this so juicy, it's the squeaky clean public image they've portrayed for years being redrawn in much more human style, making them a bit more like us.
    After all, most of us parents do all that we can to secure our kids' future. We made certain our kids were in good schools and had good healthcare and we tried to set good examples.
    When our son exhibited interest in playing guitar, I gave him my Yamaha FG-180 and found a good teacher. same when my daughter wanted to learn ballet. Later on, when they took their SATs, we made sure they had a good preparatory tutor and both did very well, both were admitted to the schools of their choice, no bribes changing hands.
    Here's the thing: If they had wanted to be admitted to Harvard or USC, and their GPAs, SAT scores and records wouldn't turn the trick and I had a couple of hundred grand to throw in the mix, I know a legal way that certainly would have worked: A gift! Give Yale a hundred grand out of the kindness of your heart, let your 3.2 GPA senior apply for admission and he'll get in. It's the no less ethically questionable but absolutely legal practice that has allowed the spawn of the wealthy to matriculate in style in America for 300 years. Aunt Becky and Filliam H Muffman won't be going to jail, but their kids wont be graduating from top drawer schools, either. Hopefully the kids learned a lesson, though. There's a right way and a wrong way to use your wealth to grease the skids and it should have been obvious that their parents choose the wrong one.

Gahr and arcticsg like this.
  2. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

Ummm 100k is barely tuition and room and board for one year at Yale. They will take the donation sure but it isn't going to get you anywhere.

If you are talking 50M then sure it's probably easy enough.

3. Biddlin

:rofl:
    Take my word for it, $100k donors get access and don't get arrested for it.
    $50M donors usually get wings named after them unless they're straight out of Compton.

4. Biddlin

5. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

So you have donated 100K to Yale? What kind of access?

Sorry I'm confused here. My point is that 100K is maybe just somewhat more than ONE year of undergraduate tuition/fees and room and board at most of the Ivy league schools.

My guess is that just donating 100K to most of these types of schools won't get you very far. Donating that amount year after year for a while could probably get you noticed eventually.

Having a parent or grandparent graduate from one of these schools and applying is also a different story.

6. Biddlin

Oh well......