I love this, Roundabout by Yes

Discussion in 'General Music' started by DrBGood, Jan 9, 2019.

1. DrBGood

DrBGood Well-Known Member

Take the time to appreciate how things were done at the time. Listen to it all, it's worth it.

plankton, gball and Gahr like this.
  2. gball

gball Well-Known Member

Super cool. I just love Yes all the way around.

3. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Well-Known Member

So many great songs out that year on FM radio ... and Roundabout kind of won ... many stations even were besieged by the calling in fans and ( even if they did not want to ) played the whole complete uncut version.

I saw Yes doing the Fragile tour at Kent State gymnasium.

Pretty much a toss up to me if Fragile or Close to the Edge was their best album!

4. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

That's a great video. I love when things are deconstructed and explained. Movie scenes, car engines, songs.... It works best with songs and the various tracks that can be isolated. I wish all bands would release isolated tracks of all their music. I'd create my own mix. So much fun.

This song "Roundabout" works great with this deconstruction. I can't stand Yes (bloated, pretentious nonsense), but I always loved this song. This video makes me love it even more. I always liked the tune for the vocals and bass....but this video makes me really love the drumming.

5. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Active Member

What I wouldn't give to get my hands on some of these multi-tracks! I'm a producer and use all kinds of techniques when I'm arranging. You need this catalog of techniques just floating around in your head to pull off good recordings.

For instance, the doubled bass and guitar at the end. Chris came up with the idea and borrowed Steve Howe's Super 400 hollow body to double the bass to give it more articulation. I recently needed articulation on a jazz bass part to make it more defined without making it louder. Having read about Chris' use of this on Roundabout, I borrowed that very technique!

Bob

DrBGood likes this.
  6. NMA

NMA Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be so sure that Chris Squire came up with the idea. Isn't it kind of like the very famous Nashville tic-tac technique -- doubling the bass line with a higher octave? Elvis did it on a couple of tracks (the ones recorded using Nashville musicians). Beatles also did it on a number of songs.

7. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Active Member

Well, I heard of the technique through a interview with Eddie Offord so it was at least my inspiration. :smile: Sourcing and attribution are so interesting. One night before a big session I woke up with a radical acoustic guitar mic'ing technique in my mind. I applied it the next morning with great results and then remarked about my triumph on the Internet. A guy commented, "That's nothing new. George Massenburg used that technique in the '90s." And when I thought about it, sure enough, I could remember the actual article from the period (I think in Mix Magazine) where I had read about his using it during the Trio Sessions.

Bob