I need wiring advice please.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by koaguilds, Mar 23, 2019.

1. koaguilds

koaguilds Well-Known Member

I just got one of those nice 2012 Guitar Center exclusive SG Standards in the pretty honeyburst finish with Zebra pickups wired for single coil with push pull controls on the volumes. Here's my problem: the prior owner put bell knobs on... I went to replace them with the original reflector knobs...apparently he had to crimp the posts to fit the others... I take a knife and gently go to spread them back out... one half snapped off!

I don't even need single coil sound on an SG so the advice I need is how can I get this rewired for just a standard setup? Can I buy one of the pre-made harnesses? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

The guitar in question is the one on the left:
    [​IMG]

2. koaguilds

3. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

The pots, output jack and switch in that kit are fine, but you can save money if you purchase the components locally and solder everything yourself if you have a soldering iron and wire and feel up to it. Caps can be a controversial topic, but I use the ceramic disc type that you find stock in many Gibsons.

500K CTS Pots $5 each.
    Switchcraft Right-Angle Toggle $15.
    Switchcraft Mono Output Jack $5.
    0.022 MFD Ceramic Disc Caps (5-pack) $3

koaguilds likes this.
  4. plankton

plankton Well-Known Member

If you have some basic soldering skills and the proper equipment then it's easy to simply replace the damaged pots with new ones. If you don't care about push/pull pots for coil split then get a couple new 500k pots and find an appropriate wiring diagram (Seymour Duncan site has lots) because the connections will be a little different without the push/pull pots. Not much sense buying a whole harness for $120 when you only need a couple pots @ $10. If you don't have the skills then just take it to someone.

koaguilds likes this.
  5. koaguilds

thanks guys! I will try to take on the soldering.

plankton and cerebral gasket like this.
  6. ArtisanLuthiers

ArtisanLuthiers New Member

Visit the Seymour Duncan website to find an appropriate guitar wiring diagram. Use your smartphone to take several CLEAR photos (for reference) of wiring BEFORE you start making changes. If you don't know how to solder watch a few videos and practice. BE VERY CAREFUL to not overheat any component. The heat from a soldering iron transfers fast and can seriously damage pots. All in all, basic guitar wiring is not terribly difficult.

7. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

Assuming you could originally push/pull a pot to do the split coil thing. You’re gonna have four wires coming out of the pup rather than two. You will have to address that. Someone correct me if I’m mistaken, but won’t he have to tie the two grounds together and the two “hot” lead wires together ?

8. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Active Member

NOPE!
    2 wires get soldered together, taped off, and ignored. (Those would the ones going to the push/pull pot for the coil tap.) The one hot, already attached to the pot lug remains, the ground wire remains soldered to the back of the pot for, wait for it... wait for it.... ground.
    https://guitarelectronics.com/2-humbuckers-3-way-toggle-switch-2-volumes-2-tones/

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019 at 10:43 PM
    iblive likes this.
  9. papagayo

papagayo Well-Known Member

10. iblive

iblive Well-Known Member

Cool beans. Thanks for correcting my mis-info. I remembered you'd need to do something with the wires.... just didn't remember correctly. I keep it simple. Pups in my two humbucker guitars only have two wires. Easy peasy.