I was here about a year ago, but had issues...now I'm back, with a new SG!

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by painted_klown, May 17, 2018.

1. painted_klown

painted_klown Member

Hello everybody,

I was on this forum around a year ago. At the time, I had just purchased a new 2017 faded SG. I was so excited to finally have a Gibson, but I had a lot of issues with buzzing that I could not get resolved.

Several people advised me to simply return the guitar, and move on. So, I did just that. I took the guitar back and ended up getting a G&L Legacy Tribute, which I ended up REALLY falling in love with.

Well, the year went by, and I couldn't stop myself from pining over the "SG I used to have". I really felt motivated to give Gibson another go, so to speak. Not having any money, and desperately "NEEDING" an SG in my life, I decided to see if I could work out a deal with a local guitar shop (small shop, not a chain).

I took in my (discontinued, but fairly beaten) J Mascis Fender Jazzmaster and an Ibanez Gio (impulse purchase, due to low cost) to see what they would offer for trade in value. After a long while milling around the store (waiting to see what my offer would be) they came at me with a trade in price of $700 even.

They had a 2016 Gibson SG faded on the wall. It was NOS but had several deep gouges/scratches in it from customers not being very careful. There are a bunch (and I mean a lot) around the input jack, a few on the back of the neck, and a really big one across the back.

To be honest, I just wanted the guitar. I wanted another SG, and I didn't want my dreams to be dashed by some scratches...It was marked at $739, so I picked it off the wall and asked if they would trade straight across, due to the cosmetic issues. The guy agreed to the trade, as long as I paid the taxes on it. Ok...DONE!!! LOL!!!

As I drove home, I called a friend of mine to see if he thought I had made a good trade. He is a HUGE Jazzmaster fan, but understood why I had done it and asked me how it played. Well...to be honest, I was so bent on getting it, I really didn't even play it much in the store. I know what you're thinking, and at the time I was thinking the very same thing...why didn't I play it more before making the deal?!? Panic set in...had I made a mistake? This was almost the same guitar I had before, but a model year older and in brown vs red.

I got her home, tuned her up, and was VERY pleased with the trade. Words literally cannot express at how quickly I bonded with this guitar, battle scars and all. It has this really "raw" feel to it that I absolutely love.

I can't explain it, but there's something about that rough and raw vibe of the guitar that (IMO) adds something special to it. I know that probably sounds corny or whatever, but (to me) it just feels, looks, plays, and sounds SO flipping awesome, that the reality of owning such a cool guitar really hasn't even sunk in yet.

It's weird, because I have never really had that happen with a guitar purchase before. I truly feel like I got a great guitar, with some built in mojo...and I TRADED for it!!! God was shining his light down on me that day, to be sure. Coincidence, luck, act of God, whatever it was...I feel truly blessed to finally have such an awesome guitar in my (shrinking) collection.

I have no regrets about the trade at all. Even though I know those Jazzmasters can be sold on the web for $1k+, I didn't want to risk it, and the guitar did need some work. I wanted to wait until after the honeymoon phase was over to come back on here and join the group again, but in all honesty, the excitement I have for the guitar isn't waning at all. I got it the day before Gibson filed Chapter 11.

Now for a quick review of the usual SG stuff.

Neck dive isn't an issue at all with this one, and I am using a cheap nylon strap on her (Schaller locks installed though).

Neck flex/neck whip is also a non issue. There is a slight amount, but nothing to be concerned about.

Tuning stability seems just as good as my Fender and G&L Strats. The nut needs to be cut better, as I do have some "pinging" from time to time while tuning (string binding in nut), as well as getting the slot depths properly worked out.

The 490R and 490T humbuckers sound great to me. I especially like the bridge pickup. It has a very mid forward sound that screams "Vintage Sounding" while simultaneously retaining a thick and full sounding tone.

Maybe it's because I am used to single coils, but to my ears, these have a "thickness" and higher output that is VERY pleasing to my ears. When strumming open chords especially, I am kinda shocked at what I am hearing come back to me. I can't quite put my finger on it, but it has some kind of "mojo" going on in there. LOL!

Anyway, I could go on for days about my love for this guitar, so I will stop here. I will try to figure out how to post pics for you all as well.

Thanks for reading,

-Dave

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    jtcnj, Dale, lawrev and 10 others like this.
  2. arcticsg

arcticsg Well-Known Member

Awesome... and Happy NGD! :smile:

painted_klown likes this.
  3. painted_klown

painted_klown Member

4. painted_klown

painted_klown Member

5. painted_klown

painted_klown Member

6. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

Looks real good, nice deal man! Maybe its the spirit if the wood that called to you. Or perhaps there is a correlation between GAS and psychological objectification... Anywho, an SG never hurt anyone right?

7. painted_klown

painted_klown Member

Thank you! :smile:

Thanks for the kind words. I do love the way she looks. I like that it's brown, to be honest. It adds to that raw vibe of the guitar IMO. The color makes it "look the part" as well. :D You can literally see AND feel the wood grain. :cool:

Layne Matz likes this.
  8. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

Thats awesome, im happy for you and jealous. Natural finishes arw a delicous aqcuired taste. I think there is just somrhing so 'down to earth about them. Why would i really want a dense exterior coating between the myself and the wood? Probably just for the permeability... But aesthetics can be highly inspiring sometimes. Meh, thinking too much can get you into trouble. "Shut up and play your guitar"

Love it up, they are oh so fine.

9. painted_klown

painted_klown Member

LOL!Thank you again, and nothing to be jealous of man. It's just a guitar, and I am sure you (as well as everyone here) own guitars that we would all lust after. :cheers:

I agree with your down to earth description. Very fitting. I didn't think to put this in my OP, but this is the loudest unplugged guitar I have ever owned. I am guessing it's because there isn't really a finish on it. I am not an expert in Gibson finishes, but I think these are just stained wood? Either way, it resonates quite loud while unplugged, almost shockingly loud...but in a good way. I hope that makes sense.

Layne Matz likes this.
  10. GrumpyOldDBA

GrumpyOldDBA Active Member

Congrats woo hoo welcome to the forum!

11. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Awesome!
    I really like the chunky necks on those 2016 models and the Faded finishes feel great, nice and broken in. The brown is timeless, never get tired of it.

12. cpower

cpower Member

painted_klown for the win! Happy NGD! Nice looking AX

13. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

Thats funny, im just exlressing my happiness for you. Those natural finishes are very tasteful, I think I qould rather have a natural finish than a lacquer one. I believe the wood finish cinsists of grain filler, stain and some form of oild or clear exterior coating to lock down the moisture content. I think moisture content on regular stained wood is subject to change- as in it can still soak in and hold water from the air. I could be wrong but thats what i estimate. SGs should sound great acoustically, plus you get to feel a lot more of the sustain go through it.

14. Gibbo SG

Gibbo SG Active Member

Something about these unbound SGs that really gets players excited. For me, it's that extra neatness and simplicity that make a guitar more futuristic, more modern.

Roca and painted_klown like this.
  15. 58pit

58pit Well-Known Member

Congrats! Thanks for the cool cool story!

16. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

Welcome to ETSG... you'll find some other kindred spirits
    around here. And you'll find many fans of the SG faded special
    series.

I am one. I too bonded very quickly with my SG faded special.
    Mine is also the faded brown, which is just gorgeous to my eye.
    Luna 2017*@100.jpg
    I'll give you a few 'voice of experience' items to mull over.

The Faded special has a lacquer finish. All Gibsons do.
    But it's thinner and softer than an SG Standard with it's
    Gibson Deep Gloss. You can actually dent it with your fingernail
    if you are not careful. But to my mind, dents and dings seem
    to look normal on the faded. They don't stand out like they
    do on the shiny guitars. And I like that.

It's possible that the thin finish contributes to the awesome tone
    of the faded SGs. I don't know that for sure, but SOMETHING does. My faded SG also seemed to ring more and longer than any other guitar in the store. Mine called to me from a distance
    of maybe 10 meters away... "play me!"

Once I had that instrument in my hands, I was lost. *grins
    That was almost ten years ago, in 2008. And she's still the Queen of my music room. I'm blessed with cool guitars, but
    my faded special is #1.

The neck is fast and comfortable. Mine's gone kind of blonde from so much
    playing. I think Gibson's description of the neck is "50s rounded."

The faded special has an unbound neck. Sometimes the frets can protrude,
    depending on the humidity or lack of humidity where you are. I recommend
    getting your guitar professionally set up as soon as you can afford it.
    The luthier will check the fret ends and smooth them if necessary.

I've had no trouble with mine. But there have been reports on this site.
    It happens, and occasional fret adjustments are normal maintenance.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    Layne Matz and painted_klown like this.
  17. Layne Matz

Layne Matz Active Member

Umm, Colonel what in the world happened to your 6th string?

18. Col Mustard

Col Mustard Well-Known Member

I had been messing around with Keith Richards' style 5 string tuning. But I was about to remove all the strings and the tuners
    and clean my baby lovingly, and give her a rub down and a massage and a set of new tuners and new strings...
    Luna whole guitar@100.jpg

19. LarryC

LarryC Active Member

That's a great find!! It reminds me of how I bought my '09 faded SG at Sam Ash used. I walked in ,picked it up for about 30 seconds and pretty much just paid for it straight away.It was a originally a worn black finish..It's now a much nicer brown top.:dude: 20180422_174326.jpg

20. shakey64

shakey64 Member

Great story. The SG Gods were smiling down on you that day! I love the faded finish myself. Nothing like the feel of that wood.