Ibanez SG parts

Discussion in 'SG Copies' started by Sean K, May 26, 2016.

1. Sean K

Sean K New Member

Hi I have what I think is a pre lawsuit Ibanez SG from the early 70s I am missing the Bigsby style tailpiece and am looking for a replacement (original if possible). Every time I use google to look for the part the only results I get are information about the lawsuit Gibson had with Ibanez. If any one knows where could find this part is be forever grateful I'll include a picture of what the part looks like

Attached Files:

2. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

3. JohnnyGoo

JohnnyGoo Well-Known Member

welcome

4. Sean K

Sean K New Member

Thank you for the reply but this won't work for me as it would require me to drill holes in my guitar. Iv noticed that left handed Bigsby B5s don't have a screw above the arm of the vibrato. Do any of you know if I could get one like that but right handed ?

5. eS.G.

eS.G. Well-Known Member

I didnt realize yours was left handed. That will be a hard item to find

6. Sean K

Sean K New Member

It's not left handed it's jut that the bigsby style tailpiece that should be on my guitar has not got that extra screw over the vibrato arm a regular right handed Bigsby has, the left handed Bigsby Iv found on eBay hasn't got it either. So I'm wondering if I could get a right handed Bigsby without the extra screw

7. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

Keep an eye on Ebay for ones being parted out. Or, maybe you'll find a full guitar with a broken headstock or otherwise damaged for cheap. That's the best shot at finding an original but it could take a long time before one comes up. Otherwise, you can get a generic replacement at a place like Stewmac or Allparts. If that's the actual thing there, it looks like it was a generic Bigsby-style trem anyway. A new replacement may actually function better than an original.

In any case, we're going to need pictures of this supposed Ibanez SG for umm... evidence.

8. PermissionToLand

PermissionToLand Well-Known Member

You might be able to just not use the fifth screw if you don't want to. I mean, if it can work with four on the Ibanez, why not?

9. Sean K

Sean K New Member

Thank you for all your advise I'll post some pictures of the guitar tomorrow

10. Six String

Six String Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to ETSG! :smile:

11. Jason

Jason Member

Just a thought I had...
    If you look closely at the one in the eBay ad that eS.G. posted it would actually work without drilling new holes. The difference is that it has one less roller on it for downward pressure to keep the strings from popping off the bridge. The other part with the roller and long screws(the first picture) in the eBay ad serves the purpose of the missing roller.
    At least I think it would work if the screw holes line up.

12. syscokid

syscokid Well-Known Member

I think you can add a Vibramate, and should solve the no-added-screw-hole problem...

http://www.vibramate.com/vibramate-v5-ST.php

13. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Member

aww, no pics yet? :confused:

14. 60meester profe

60meester profe New Member

15. 60meester profe

60meester profe New Member

like this? it's an Ibanez SG but from what year I don't know....good guess 70's

16. Bad Penguin

Bad Penguin Well-Known Member

Problem is, you may find one, and it will be 2 times what the guitar is worth. It looks to be a 73/74, made by Terada. Bolt on, Maxon pickups, yadda yadda yadda...

What was suggested earlier was the X-Trem made by Guitar Fetish. It will work a LOT better then the original, and actually stay in tune! A novel concept that the original couldn't do.

17. warmachine

warmachine Member

Keep an eye out for Mann and Antoria in your search results. They were matches for your Ibanez, they just were named differently for the market they were sold in.