Identify this SG? Real or fake?

Discussion in 'Gibson SG' started by Kevdog, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Kevdog

Kevdog New Member

Saw this listed locally and am not sure if its legit or a fake. First there is no inlay on the headstock which I would think there should be since it has binding and fretboard inlays. Second the backplate looks different however it does look like one found on the Supra. The pickups and knobs were replaced. Any ideas on model or fake?

https://boston.craigslist.org/nos/msg/d/gibson-sg/6399315613.html

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  2. cerebral gasket

cerebral gasket Well-Known Member

Serial number not visible, but if 2008 or newer, the year is usually stamped below the Made in USA stamp.

It seems that no specific SG model was listed in posting as to not misrepresent it as something that it is not.

3. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

It is "real" or at least a real body and hardware. The price is right for a husk. you'd be looking at about $300 to buy authentic pickups, but could possibly recoup $75 for the EMG pickups.
    Probably a battery box cover for the pickups.

BATACLAN likes this.
  4. Bonzo21

Bonzo21 Active Member

Kinda seems like a legit modded SG, but it looks like a satin finish...I don't understand how it has neck binding??? Did you ask for a serial number? Once you know when it was made you can figure out what it started its life as... refin? added binding after market? I dunno, its odd....

BATACLAN likes this.
  5. Kevdog

Kevdog New Member

I sent the seller an email and will update you guys once I have a response. Looking around I see the SG Classic model, which came with P90s, had neck binding and no headstock inlay. Its possible the pickups were swapped with EMGs, battery box expanded and stickers for neck inlays. Thanks for all your input...

6. cerebral gasket

That's not an SG Classic headstock. SG Classic headstock will not have a crown inlay, but headstock logo is inlay instead of waterslide decal.

The SG in question has the headstock of a modern SG Special (waterslide decal logo without crown) and the neck of an SG Standard (bound with trapezoid inlays).

7. Kevdog

Kevdog New Member

Wow you may have nailed it! One thing I also noticed was half of the tuning peg screws are black, which means they could have been the original ones from a Morte. If this is the actual model I guess someone wanted to get away from the goth look by switching the pickguard and putting on chrome hardware.

BATACLAN likes this.
  8. flognoth

flognoth Active Member

I'm leaning towards legit. I agree with those saying it is likely a modded Morte SG.

BATACLAN likes this.
  9. cerebral gasket

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    BATACLAN likes this.
  10. Kevdog

Kevdog New Member

Found out the serial number and it was made in 2007 in Nashville, so its sounding like its a Morte. Given the modifications does the price sound fair?

11. Biddlin

Biddlin Well-Known Member

Yeah, $375 would be better, but he thinks the pickups are an upgrade.

12. cerebral gasket

Not a Morte.
    Morte has unbound neck and no fret inlays.

Previous poster above got it right with Guitar of the Week #32, but incorrect name.
    Guitar of the Week #32 is SG Special - EMG.

Never seen an SG Special headstock attached to an SG Standard neck before, but that appears to be what they are marketing this one as.

See below...

Week 32 - SG Special - EMG pickups

http://archive.gibson.com/en-us/Divisions/Gibson USA/Guitar of the Week/SG_Special-Week_32/

These were produced in 2007. Looks like same model in craigslist posting except for different hardware. Note the SG Special headstock with SG Standard neck.

Gothic SG Morte

http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA/SG-Gothic-Morte.aspx

https://www.premierguitar.com/articles/Gibson_Introduces_Gothic_Mortes_Les_Paul_and_SG_Guitars

These were produced in 2011. The one in craigslist posting is a 2007 and has the neck and headstock of the Week 32 SG Special - EMG Pickups.

13. cerebral gasket

14. drown

drown Well-Known Member

Love the braintrust here. Nice work. Learning so much about these guitars.

15. flognoth

flognoth Active Member

I stand corrected, a Week 32 Special it is. That lines up with it showing an 2007 serial. Weird that someone swapped out the bridge, stop bar and pickguard.

Either way, I think it's worth $400 if the OP's happy with how it plays / sounds.

cerebral gasket likes this.
  16. cerebral gasket

Agreed, $400 is a fair price.

17. Kevdog

Kevdog New Member

Well I'm the proud new owner of an SG Special - EMG Pickups! Plays really nice and its in pretty nice shape but does have some dings. Thanks everyone for your help in identifying my new axe!